• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd] Brentford 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I thought some of our players behaviour last night was embarrassing as well tbh. Particularly Neto, in the refs face, trying to get him to send players off. It's not a good look. It won't do us any favours in the long run.
Things went against us last night but putting pressure on referees doesn't work and usually has the opposite effect.
Let the captain approach the ref, that's all.

I thought some of our players behaviour last night was embarrassing as well tbh. Particularly Neto, in the refs face, trying to get him to send players off. It's not a good look. It won't do us any favours in the long run.
Things went against us last night but putting pressure on referees doesn't work and usually has the opposite effect.
Let the captain approach the ref, that's all.
Completely disagree. Neto was the only one getting in the ref’s ear telling him plain & simply that their lad had grabbed Semedo around the neck and that it was a sending off offence. I don’t condone us getting in the face of a referee constantly (like we used to when Neves was captain), but it was good to see some passion. Pedro did seem really up for it when he came on.

Didn’t make the slightest bit of difference as he/they bottled the decision anyway!

Completely disagree. Neto was the only one getting in the ref’s ear telling him plain & simply that their lad had grabbed Semedo around the neck and that it was a sending off offence. I don’t condone us getting in the face of a referee constantly (like we used to when Neves was captain), but it was good to see some passion. Pedro did seem really up for it when he came on.

Didn’t make the slightest bit of difference as he/they bottled the decision anyway!
VAR should be and I assume was getting in the refs ear.
Yes they bottled the decision. Nothing new there. Kilman should be the one getting in the refs ear, he's too timid.

We've tried the softly, softly approach for half a season, the players and especially GON have been very reasoned and respectful in their dealings with the officials, that hasn't worked either, we've still had more than our fair share of shocking decisions.

Although there is clearly an issue with the competence of the refs, last night is a perfect illustration of the issue with the “high bar” to changing an onfield decision.

I can accept that having given a red to Gomes, there wasn’t enough on the video to overturn the decision. But having not seen the Damsgaard challenge, for the VAR to simply determine the (very) high bar to informing the referee of a mistake had not been met results in the totally absurd situation of no decision at all being made.

We have onfield referees not decisively refereeing games on the basis the VAR backup exists to correct errors, but the “high bar” means the VAR backup does not actually exist in all but the most obvious situations. So there is a wide spectrum of issues that are just going totally un-refereed.

We have to look in the mirror as well. In the first VAR season there was widespread dissatisfaction with the game being “re-refereed”, hence the introduction of the “high bar”. But the balance is way off in the other direction now.

Although there is clearly an issue with the competence of the refs, last night is a perfect illustration of the issue with the “high bar” to changing an onfield decision.

I can accept that having given a red to Gomes, there wasn’t enough on the video to overturn the decision. But having not seen the Damsgaard challenge, for the VAR to simply determine the (very) high bar to informing the referee of a mistake had not been met results in the totally absurd situation of no decision at all being made.

We have onfield referees not decisively refereeing games on the basis the VAR backup exists to correct errors, but the “high bar” means the VAR backup does not actually exist in all but the most obvious situations. So there is a wide spectrum of issues that are just going totally un-refereed.

We have to look in the mirror as well. In the first VAR season there was widespread dissatisfaction with the game being “re-refereed”, hence the introduction of the “high bar”. But the balance is way off in the other direction now.
I agree in the main, but every now and then they give rogue decisions on nothing situations like the Fulham second penalty or the DCL red. There's even inconsistency in where they set that bar. You can't send DCL off and 24 hours later not even ask the ref to look at the Damsgaard one and expect to be respected

Last edited:
Suspect that getting excited by the FA Cup is a bit ‘enjoying MOTD’ these days but hey, I do, so I’ve got to say I’m much more interested in the rest of the weekend footy knowing we are in the hat for the next round. Am I right in that another prize for winning the replay will be having Gomes available for Man U?

Suspect that getting excited by the FA Cup is a bit ‘enjoying MOTD’ these days but hey, I do, so I’ve got to say I’m much more interested in the rest of the weekend footy knowing we are in the hat for the next round. Am I right in that another prize for winning the replay will be having Gomes available for Man U?
You are indeed, Fourth Round will be the weekend of 27th/28th Jan.

The ref is from Hartlepool, Gillett was only the support VAR and therefore not explicitly in charge of any of the games decisions.
Thank God for that. I've just spent the last 3 pages thinking Gillett must have had a face transplant or I should have gone to SpecSavers. Must admit, I didn't even realise there was a 'proper' ref (excuse the oxymoron) as assistant VAR, let alone that the assistant had much responsibility - thought that was just the cleaner in case the main one needed a pee.

Tony Harrington was the Mensa candidate who was VAR last season for Newcastle away and decided that Andy Madley's view from 60 yards at full speed was fine and there was no reason to recommend that Nick Pope should have been sent off.

Tony Harrington was the Mensa candidate who was VAR last season for Newcastle away and decided that Andy Madley's view from 60 yards at full speed was fine and there was no reason to recommend that Nick Pope should have been sent off.
It's moronic decisions and inconsistencies like this that inevitably lead people to thinking 'corruption'. Sometimes simple incompetence doesn't seem to do their ineptitude justice.

I heard on the Wolves commentary that he'd only reffed one PL game this season and a handful previously, so suspect he was treating it as a job interview and doing what he thought would serve him best.

Pretty excellent 4D chess to sell Nunes for £53m and also get Doyle offered for £4.5m. Sign him up ASAP. Good game by the lad last night, and seems genuinely two-footed.

Back