• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup Semi Final: Matchday Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely distraught. Going to take me a while to get over that. But if I'm upset, how upset are the players and the management team?
Honestly, knee jerk criticism of Nuno or Ruddy just makes you look a fool right now. 5 years ago this weekend we were at Crewe

I know Nuno is the Messiah but taking of Jota, Neves AND Moutinho. Got that one wrong I'm afraid.

can't believe there is a need to criticise anyone, we gave it out best shot and just weren't good enough on the day

Oh you mean besides letting in the winning goal? They scored 3 goals with 2 shots on target mate. Deulafeu's first, although brilliant, was savable... isnt that why we brought in Patricio, a chance at world class saves?

If Deulofeu's first was savable that's news to me.

Ruddy maybe should have saved the third goal, but if you really need a scapegoat on that one then look at the defending on the break away.

Oh you mean besides letting in the winning goal? They scored 3 goals with 2 shots on target mate. Deulafeu's first, although brilliant, was savable... isnt that why we brought in Patricio, a chance at world class saves?

All three goals were shots on targets so you might want to check your counting on that stat.

I wouldn't blame any keeper in the world for that first goal, it's an unbelievable finish, penalties are a lottery, so that only leaves the third goal where I feel he could've done better and I genuinely can't think of anything else he did that I'd consider to be an error.

If Deulofeu's first was savable that's news to me.

Ruddy maybe should have saved the third goal, but if you really need a scapegoat on that one then look at the defending on the break away.

Boly was the worst party on the winning goal in my eyes, wasn't close enough to put any real pressure on Deulofeu but he got drawn into the ball anyway, as he has a tendency to do, it was easily played around him as a result and left Coady effectively two on one. Ruddy perhaps could've bailed him out but if Boly shows a little restraint and keeps himself goal side then it's more difficult for Watford to create the shooting opportunity to begin with.

Apart from Vinagre, we didn't have the subs to bring on. Cant blame Nuno, we just need a stronger bench. I suspect with a few summer signings we'll be on the next step of this journey. What a first season back, super proud of that team and can't have many complaints.

Boly was the worst party on the winning goal in my eyes, wasn't close enough to put any real pressure on Deulofeu but he got drawn into the ball anyway, as he has a tendency to do, it was easily played around him as a result and left Coady effectively two on one. Ruddy perhaps could've bailed him out but if Boly shows a little restraint and keeps himself goal side then it's more difficult for Watford to create the shooting opportunity to begin with.

Pretty much, yeah.

It's an awful way to lose a match of that magnitude but Watford were good value for it, I thought. As I've said, Deulofeu changed things massively and we currently don't have anyone who can do the same for us on the bench.

It's hard to overcome two or three pretty poor pieces of defending but especially so when it's against a decent side with decent players.

The deulofeu goal is what knocked us. They weren’t really threatening, we were managing the game quite well then he scored an outrageous goal like that. It is more impressive each time I watch it. Nothing Ruddy can do -Leander arguably not applying enough pressure individually. But for your takeaway from this game is about Nuno’s Substitutions you are only embarrassing yourself. He had made excellent decisions on who to bring on or take off more often than not over the course of two seasons.

When I saw Bennett coming on I assumed it was for Leander. After his part in the goals of only it had been!

And if only Cav had just shot when he rounded Gomes. No matter the angle!!

Apart from Vinagre, we didn't have the subs to bring on. Cant blame Nuno, we just need a stronger bench. I suspect with a few summer signings we'll be on the next step of this journey. What a first season back, super proud of that team and can't have many complaints.
Spot on. Jota pretty much never plays a full 90, he runs himself in to the ground. Saiss showed exactly why Nuno wanted him on v It's mid week - he's great at closing games down from there.

We simply saw the limits of some of our players today, not a bad thing but it showed we need to increase the quality - as we will do.

Suggest a mod locks this thread and starts a veridct thread, before some people embarrass themselves even further.

The deulofeu goal is what knocked us. They weren’t really threatening, we were managing the game quite well then he scored an outrageous goal like that. It is more impressive each time I watch it. Nothing Ruddy can do -Leander arguably not applying enough pressure individually. But for your takeaway from this game is about Nuno’s Substitutions you are only embarrassing yourself. He had made excellent decisions on who to bring on or take off more often than not over the course of two seasons.

When I saw Bennett coming on I assumed it was for Leander. After his part in the goals of only it had been!

And if only Cav had just shot when he rounded Gomes. No matter the angle!!

Think Dendoncker did alright on the first goal, got out to Deulofeu fairly quickly and bought him to a standstill, perhaps a little too much emphasis on blocking off the front post with his positioning which gave Deulofeu that gap to attempt his shot but the way he executed it was something else, just a goal out of nowhere really.

Deulofeu's goal gave them momentum for the last ten minutes, and then the penalty killed us. We were done mentally then.

Think Dendoncker did alright on the first goal, got out to Deulofeu fairly quickly and bought him to a standstill, perhaps a little too much emphasis on blocking off the front post with his positioning which gave Deulofeu that gap to attempt his shot but the way he executed it was something else, just a goal out of nowhere really.

He had Deulofeu (boy am I tired already of typing his name) stood straight up and not moving for enough time to put a foot in safely, IMO. Honestly though if he hadn't given away the penalty in stoppage time I don't think I'd feel so negative toward him on the first one.

Deulofeu's goal gave them momentum for the last ten minutes, and then the penalty killed us. We were done mentally then.

Personally thought we were the better side in extra time until the 3rd Watford goal.

Deulofeu was the difference, compare him to Cav.

I'll write something a bit more considered when I've composed myself

My thoughts too. Our squad still needs strengthening, which I'm sure will happen. Top, top sides have subs who are at least as good, if in a different way, as those they replace. Our subs tend to simply weaken the team. (Adama is different, of course, though not always in a good way!) Awful way to lose, and the worst stage to lose at, but I guess we'd have taken it last August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back