• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Flum v Wolves: Take it seriously 3rd Round Cup game

I want us to have a go at this, said before that as a kid/teenager. Seeing Wolves make that semi final, and the exposure and national recognition that came with that was immense. Granted I grew up in a non Wolves area, however I would love a cup run, raise the profile of the club and maybe consolidate a new generation of fans or attract a few from outside the city.

I was under the illusion that we'd sell Sako in Jan to ensure we get our money back for him... Apparently not! I don't know how I didn't realise this.

It's not about competing with Chelsea and Man City though; that is highly unlikely to happen any time soon unless the face of football dramatically changes. We need that money to compete with the likes of Newcastle, Villa and West Ham...the kind of clubs that conceivably we could be perceived of in the same bracket if we produced consistent progress for a number of years.

If West Brom get relegated this year and we don't go up, they are going to be so much better off than us in financial terms that we won't even be on the same page, despite being in the same division. That's why we need to be in receipt of regular PL money under the current setup because if not, we'll fall behind our natural peers let alone those we've been lagging behind for 30+ years. Look what being out of the top flight for a decade or more has done for Leeds, Sheff Wed and Forest. Talk of challenging for titles is pie in the sky I'm afraid, if Spurs haven't managed to put together a coherent challenge at any point in the last 40 years then there can be no expectation of us ever getting to that level without significant (probably impossible, now) outside investment. We don't need to be up there so that we can dream of winning the league. We need to be up there at least intermittently because otherwise you're condemning yourself to at best, mid-table second tier tedium year on year.

Mmm, all interesting points but for me if there is never any chance we can push for the title then there is really no point in being in the league but I agree with your point that if you don't try to improve you eventually go backwards. I still think the way forward is to "grow our own" rather than buy in players who at best will be of the quality that won't make it at the top clubs and thats not going to happen overnight. If we accept we can never compete with Chelsea/Man City and are happy with Premiership mid table then surely the cups are our only chance of achieving anything.

It's not about competing with Chelsea and Man City though; that is highly unlikely to happen any time soon unless the face of football dramatically changes. We need that money to compete with the likes of Newcastle, Villa and West Ham...the kind of clubs that conceivably we could be perceived of in the same bracket if we produced consistent progress for a number of years.

If West Brom get relegated this year and we don't go up, they are going to be so much better off than us in financial terms that we won't even be on the same page, despite being in the same division. That's why we need to be in receipt of regular PL money under the current setup because if not, we'll fall behind our natural peers let alone those we've been lagging behind for 30+ years. Look what being out of the top flight for a decade or more has done for Leeds, Sheff Wed and Forest. Talk of challenging for titles is pie in the sky I'm afraid, if Spurs haven't managed to put together a coherent challenge at any point in the last 40 years then there can be no expectation of us ever getting to that level without significant (probably impossible, now) outside investment. We don't need to be up there so that we can dream of winning the league. We need to be up there at least intermittently because otherwise you're condemning yourself to at best, mid-table second tier tedium year on year.

Good post Dan - spot on mate

We are long overdue a cup run. We may not have the biggest of squads, but surely we can play a few cup games without it causing problems. I have seen Wolves in two league cup finals, and two European finals, how I would love to see us in the cup final.

If we win = \0/
If we lose = *shrug shoulders*
If we draw = *Bastard annoyed*

We are long overdue a cup run. We may not have the biggest of squads, but surely we can play a few cup games without it causing problems. I have seen Wolves in two league cup finals, and two European finals, how I would love to see us in the cup final.

I would love to have seen football in an era that isn't 100% dominated by cash that changes clubs outlook and priorities. Shame I missed it.

I would love to have seen football in an era that isn't 100% dominated by cash that changes clubs outlook and priorities. Shame I missed it.

It was great...A Wolves team challenging in the top half of the top flight and having an impact on who won the League. Add to that the odd relegation and bounce back before the fall into the abyss

There was a time when clubs put their strongest side out in every game, the big shame now is that most clubs treat cup competitions with indifference.

It was great...A Wolves team challenging in the top half of the top flight and having an impact on who won the League. Add to that the odd relegation and bounce back before the fall into the abyss

Darlo, in the early seventies we were only a couple of players short of challenging for the league title, but still found time to reach cup finals and semi finals. Great times indeed.

There was a time when clubs put their strongest side out in every game, the big shame now is that most clubs treat cup competitions with indifference.

The game has moved on, the world has moved on. You may as well pine for players eating steak and chips for their pre-match meal and passing round the Woodbines after a victory.

If we had a bigger and better squad then great, have a go. We don't though. If we lose the better players then the replacements are so obviously inferior that it causes us to lose all the time. So much as I'd love to see Wolves win a major trophy one day - for now the tiny chance of us winning it does not outweigh the risk of any of say, Iorfa, Batth or Dicko getting injured so we have to play Doherty, Ebanks-Landell or Clarke for a load of games, which would almost certainly kill our chances of making the top six.

I agree with keeping the back five the same.

-----------Ikeme

Iorfa--Stears--Batth--Hause

-------Saville--Price

Henry------Evans-----Jacobs

----------McAlinden

I'm assuming Graham's loan runs out on the 1st?

I agree with keeping the back five the same.

-----------Ikeme

Iorfa--Stears--Batth--Hause

-------Saville--Price

Henry------Evans-----Jacobs

----------McAlinden

I'm assuming Graham's loan runs out on the 1st?
As per my earlier post. Hause is cup tied

You just can't wait to abuse Matt Doherty Why?

Some don't rate him and some have to go OTT in trying to say how much they don't rate him. Its just a fact of cyber life.

Back