• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Hull - the build up

I wouldn't be unhappy with something like this, tbh - perfectly possible to play both Edwards and Ojo and not worry about square pegs in round holes:

Ikeme

Iorfa - Stearman - Hause - Golbourne
Coady - McDonald
Edwards
Dicko - Afobe - Ojo​

Not sure how DW can say something like "Picking Dave Edwards reduces our chances of winning" with a straight face when he was involved in both of our goals, directly effecting the result, against Blackburn.

Eh....surely looking at Edwards overall contribution since joining the club is more relevant in this case rather than making a judgement based solely on the previous league game?

Steve Corica played well once or twice too.

I wouldn't be unhappy with something like this, tbh - perfectly possible to play both Edwards and Ojo and not worry about square pegs in round holes:

Ikeme

Iorfa - Stearman - Hause - Golbourne
Coady - McDonald
Edwards
Dicko - Afobe - Ojo​

I'd go with that team.

Manchester City at Home......Crystal Palace away.

That's your lot though.

Not sure how DW can say something like "Picking Dave Edwards reduces our chances of winning" with a straight face when he was involved in both of our goals, directly effecting the result, against Blackburn. I agree he's not a left midfielder but if KJ puts him in the team, that's not really his problem.

Do you think he is our best option to play this weekend?

Dave Edwards does not habitually set goals up, I bet you couldn't tell me the last goal prior to Saturday where he might have been credited with an assist (which is an incredibly woolly statistic anyway). So we should pick him because he happened to have the last touch before Afobe stuck it away at Ewood Park, even though he doesn't set goals up, and then when we've wasted our time doing that and he's contributed nothing we should bring on a better player. Doesn't sound like great management to me.

As I said last night, Leon Clarke directly affected two results last season, I didn't hear a clamour that he must be picked for the following game.

I'd start Edwards on Sunday purely because of the opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it could be worth playing an expansive 4-4-2 because Bruce could be lulled into playing a very open game. At home you have to back your own strikers to be the difference.

Edwards' last assist was Boro away last season I think.

Where would you play Edwards, and why would it be a mistake to play an expansive 4-4-2. Backing your own strikers to be the difference?

My own personal view FWIW would be this

----------------------------------Ikeme/Martinez----------------------------

Iorfa------------------Stears-------------------Hause-----------Golbourne

----------------------Coady---------------------KMac---------------------

-Henry-------------------------Edwards-----------------------------Ojo

---------------------------------Afobe---------------------------------------

Hull have a very strong team, which needs respecting. They have the players to hurt us. However, on the flip side, it could also be a chance to get at them early,before they adjust.

I can see the thinking behind what you suggest, I just feel it is too gung ho.

Our defence is weaker without Batth, and their strike force is as good as ours.

I can understand the need for Dicko to start, so I would be in favour of a narrower midfield, with Ojo, Dicko and Afobe alternating.

Last edited:
My own personal view FWIW would be this

----------------------------------Ikeme/Martinez----------------------------

Iorfa------------------Stears-------------------Batth-----------Golbourne

----------------------Coady---------------------Stears---------------------

-Henry-------------------------Edwards-----------------------------Ojo

---------------------------------Afobe---------------------------------------

Hull have a very strong team, which needs respecting. They have the players to hurt us. However, on the flip side, it could also be a chance to get at them early,before they adjust.

I can see the thinking behind what you suggest, I just feel it is too gung ho.

Our defence is weaker without Batth, and their strike force is as good as ours.

I can understand the need for Dicko to start, so I would be in favour of a narrower midfield, with Ojo, Dicko and Afobe alternating.

Stears playing centre back and centre mid....Radical! ;)

Eh....surely looking at Edwards overall contribution since joining the club is more relevant in this case rather than making a judgement based solely on the previous league game?

Steve Corica played well once or twice too.
Err, I think the way he played in the previous game is much more relevant to the next game 7 days later, than how he played 3 years ago in a completely different team lineup.

By the same token you cannot be making team selections that are entirely weighted on the previous game rather than what you know full well what a player can and can't do.

Err, I think the way he played in the previous game is much more relevant to the next game 7 days later, than how he played 3 years ago in a completely different team lineup.

Personally, if I wanted to determine the impact a player is likely to have on a team, the 8 or so years of empirical evidence would seem more relevant than one game treated in isolation.

Back