• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Hull - the build up

I'd agree if not for the fact that both Ikeme and Stearman were swapped out. It's pretty unsurprising that a combination of a young backline and a goalie who only arrived a day before meant things were a bit dodgy.

Slack = forgiveness.

I really hope we drop the diamond that Kenny seems fixated on us playing. I don't mind it as a system alone, but I just don't think we have the players to play it. I mean players play by instinct, Coady and McDonald are fine - but you have Henry whose instinct is to play/drift wide and you have Edwards whose instinct is to play central - which is then leaving gaping holes all over the place, none so more than on the left flank. A better team than Blackburn would have put us to the sword on Saturday I feel. If we go with the same team/setup I fear Hull could have a field day on Sunday, particularly as they play with wing backs.

Maybe it would be prudent to sign some players who can play whilst actively thinking about what they're doing opposed to going with their 'instinct' instead then?

I can see why we had a look at that system while we had no left sided midfielders at all at the club, bar Jacobs who was subsequently sold and Graham who has never made a first team appearance for us. I disagreed because I think it's a fundamentally flawed shape, but I could at least see the logic. I cannot see any logic behind signing Ojo to fill that void and then still playing Edwards horribly out of position, with what will be inevitable results (and the "don't change a winning team" fallacy really should not be entering into any competent manager's thinking).

I just fail to understand Kenny's thinking behind it. We finished the season playing arguably the best stuff we have done for ages, and picking up points most importantly and scoring lots of goals - generally also looking relatively solid. It is like just because we have lost Sako Jackett decided to start from scratch, despite now bringing in Ojo.

I just fail to understand Kenny's thinking behind it. We finished the season playing arguably the best stuff we have done for ages, and picking up points most importantly and scoring lots of goals - generally also looking relatively solid. It is like just because we have lost Sako Jackett decided to start from scratch, despite now bringing in Ojo.

Wolves only played that shape previous to Ojo signing, in the one game since his signing Wolves apparently reverted to the more tried and tested formula with wide players, I say apparently as I wasn't there to witness first hand. Though why he chose Doherty to fill one of those wide midfield berths is anyone's guess.

Wolves only played that shape previous to Ojo signing, in the one game since his signing Wolves apparently reverted to the more tried and tested formula with wide players, I say apparently as I wasn't there to witness first hand. Though why he chose Doherty to fill one of those wide midfield berths is anyone's guess.

To be fair, I was not there on Tues night but from the views I have had and clips I have saw both Doherty and Ojo looked more like they were tucked in, to form the central trio of the diamond.

We signed Ojo before the Blackburn game and he played the diamond still. Maybe he decided he'd not been with us long enough to throw straight in.

We'll see if he abandons it now Ojo is settled in and has started a game on the left, but he won't he'll stick with Edwards and the same shape as Blackburn IMO.

We should play 4-4-1-1 with two wingers, and either drop Edwards for Ojo, or drop Dicko and play Edwards behind Afobe. I'd prefer the first option but after a goal and assist in the last game Edwards isn't going to get dropped.

That last bit is such a flawed mindset to have though, you wouldn't have advocated Leon Clarke starting last season after he happened to somehow bundle in a goal in the previous game or that Matt Doherty should start ahead of Iorfa if we happened to keep a clean sheet with him in the back four, it shouldn't be any different here. Picking Dave Edwards reduces our chances of winning as he is not the best option in that position, it reduces our chances of creating a decent number of chances as he is generally useless in that respect, assist on Saturday or not and he isn't that likely to score us a goal as he doesn't actually score that often for someone who is purely an attacking midfielder. This isn't fantasy football, "a goal and an assist" doesn't mean anything really unless you think he is particularly likely to repeat either or both, I would say no he isn't that likely to do so; while we have loaned a very highly rated young midfielder who is naturally able to play wide and supply our front two, he should be playing.

If Jackett were to think in such binary terms then I'd take a pretty dim view of that. I don't think he does tbf, he might well retain Edwards for reasons best known to himself but I don't think it'll be because he happened to score an illegal goal last week.

I agree in general, but Edwards was my MOTM against Blackburn and our best midfielder on the pitch. I don't have a problem if he starts against Hull as he's in good form, albeit for one game. If he's done nothing after 60 mins then take him off and let Ojo run at tiring defenders.

My, how the turntables...

I've seen a number of people say that Edwards was our best player, but the formation still looked lop sided, which suggests to me that he was only notionally on the left rather than actually playing there. He certainly wasn't there for either of the goals. I'm sure he did play well, so if he retains his place it should be instead of the central players and not just in some arbitrary position because he doesn't deserve to be dropped. Personally I wouldn't. which I know looks like more Edwards bashing, but is just about getting the best players in the best system onto the pitch. Play him there on Sunday and I think Odubajo and El Mohamady will have a field day against an exposed Golbourne

He wasn't on the left, he was on the left side of a diamond which was quite narrow. Henry had to try and play that role too on the opposite side but still ended up drifting wide at times.

Not sure how DW can say something like "Picking Dave Edwards reduces our chances of winning" with a straight face when he was involved in both of our goals, directly effecting the result, against Blackburn. I agree he's not a left midfielder but if KJ puts him in the team, that's not really his problem.

Also, on the "we should only be playing with wingers" brigade, I should imagine KJ has wanted a second option that the players are comfortable playing for some time. It's all very well having a preferred style (and yes, ours should be with two wingers), but when you get found out, you need to be able to switch to another style. Suffice to say, wingers won't always win you games & I'm pleased we've worked on an alternative.

I like the fact we have experimented a bit - we won our first game playing this way but have since strengthened the squad in areas which allows us to revert back to the style we played last season. It's good to have options. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we start with two wingers at home this weekend, for instance. Equally it wouldn't surprise me if KJ fielded the same team. I hope not though because Hull generally play with wing backs and I suspect they'd love the space that our new narrow 'rhomboid' formation allows out wide.

I've seen a number of people say that Edwards was our best player, but the formation still looked lop sided, which suggests to me that he was only notionally on the left rather than actually playing there. He certainly wasn't there for either of the goals. I'm sure he did play well, so if he retains his place it should be instead of the central players and not just in some arbitrary position because he doesn't deserve to be dropped. Personally I wouldn't. which I know looks like more Edwards bashing, but is just about getting the best players in the best system onto the pitch. Play him there on Sunday and I think Odubajo and El Mohamady will have a field day against an exposed Golbourne

We should be looking at what combination of players we require in midfield not which individual player. Hull City have enough talent to consistently hurt Wolves if the midfield is not balanced.

Back