• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2019-2020

He was excellent against Villa at home and yet within about three weeks that pretty much was it for him. Zohore, Smith and Hugill all battered him between August and October. It's no coincidence. He couldn't deal with physicality and teams were starting to pick on him (not like we had many other weak areas).

Not everyone gets them all right and in the grand scheme of things we didn't spend that much on him, if we don't get anything back then fine. I think it was just someone Nuno had worked with and he could see how he would fit in his system. Certainly Benno needed work in training before he would have been a proper fit (even then it took 2-3 outings for him to fully get it).

Nuno wants all his centre halves to be able to play the ball out, but that takes a special kind of player to be able to do that and also stand up to the physical side. I don't believe he's had his ideal back 3 at any point he's been here. Bennett and Saiss have been compromises because of the physical defencies of Miranda and Vallejo. Which goes to show what a special player Boly is, there's only reaIly VVD, Laporte and Gomez that can do what he does. Supposed ball playing centre halves like Mings and Maguire aren't close.

I think he'll try again in the Summer to find the right guy.

Donck has had games where he's looked like he's born to play there but he does probably make a few too many mistakes at the moment.

Vallejo was worse with the ball at his feet than Danny Batth. Made Patricio’s kicking look solid.

Add in the fact he was awful at every facet of defending and you get a dud.

Vallejo was worse with the ball at his feet than Danny Batth. Made Patricio’s kicking look solid.

Add in the fact he was awful at every facet of defending and you get a dud.

Agreed, the idea of Vallejo being a ball playing defender was set in people's minds before he joined but none of the evidence he showed in a Wolves shirt proved he could do it. He was terrible.

I think he probably can in principle, Nuno wouldn't have signed him if he didn't think he could. A bullying by Chelsea and two awful balls against Southampton one which cost us a goal (along with Coady) and another which should have destroyed his confidence and any chance he had of making it.

I think it was a bit of a panic signing. A body who was available to add at least something to the squad, just in case we didn’t land our targets.

He had the ungainly appearance of Elokobi ,worse than Miranda physically and couldn’t defend 1 v 1 on the floor. When he played against Villa in the cup with a bunch of kids he didn’t stand out or look like a player who had actually played professional football.

Nuno has been trying his best to drop Bennett for 3 years and even he played ahead of him.

I gave him a chance at the time but even in the Pyunik game you didn’t think, “wait a minute, look at this guy”.

It's weird though with Vallejo, he was thrown straight in for europa games (and Torino weren't easy opposition) and did fine. In fact, he created a goal against Pyunik with a good pass (in both legs in fact?)

He just looked so scarily exposed in the Chelsea and Southampton games and really hasn't recovered. But at least we've got to see Kilman more as a result, who I think has a lot of potential still and has been more than capable in his appearances so far.

I don't think he was a panic buy. He had a brilliant rep from his time in Germany. Very highly rated indeed so no shock we and others were looking at him. For whatever reason, it just didn't happen here, whether it was not settling in the UK or the pace of the game, but once his confidence was gone that was that. You could see he was unsure about even the simple ball.

In the Pyunik game he essentially matched Kilman in how he looked, basically a nervous performance. Although he did play a great ball to Cutrone to set up one of the goals. the Chelsea game destroyed him and by the time we played Southampton you could see he was gone. A shame as no one likes to see a signing fail.

To be fair, reports of his time in Germany were really good, and he did well in the age equivalent World Cup - it’s not like he had no pedigree at all, it was clearly a shock that it went so badly for him here

Donck has had games where he's looked like he's born to play there but he does probably make a few too many mistakes at the moment.

Yeah his passing from centre back is very, very good. Maybe with more time he'd be ideal there but not sure Nuno sees it that way. Saiss has been fantastic himself, to be fair.

I think it was a bit of a panic signing. A body who was available to add at least something to the squad, just in case we didn’t land our targets.

He had the ungainly appearance of Elokobi ,worse than Miranda physically and couldn’t defend 1 v 1 on the floor. When he played against Villa in the cup with a bunch of kids he didn’t stand out or look like a player who had actually played professional football.

Nuno has been trying his best to drop Bennett for 3 years and even he played ahead of him.

I gave him a chance at the time but even in the Pyunik game you didn’t think, “wait a minute, look at this guy”.

Vallejo and Elokobi is an interesting comparison. :icon_biggrin:

I can accept Vallejo as a safety measure signing in case we didn't get our primary target. I can't accept him as a panic buy though. We just do that, if we did we'd have brought a centre forward in the last two January's

Panic buy, insurance signing. Pretty much what I meant, I even qualified it as such.

How does a loan until the end of the season work if the season is curtailed?

It's looking unlikely that any more League One football will be played (give or take the playoffs), so would, say, Matheson be on his way as soon as the season's cancelation is rubber-stamped?

He'll just come back and train with the 23s if they're doing any work at all at Compton.

Poor lad was supposed to have his A-Levels this summer, don't know how that's going to work.

Or he can take them in the Autumn which i guess he could choose to do given its not impacting on his next move

They are only doing that if the pupil and their family don’t accept the predicted grades.

I know, but calling it a predicted grade is a bit of a misnomer it's more than just the teachers assessment.
Typical school performance, childs prior last official assessment SAT's for GCSE and GCSE's for A Levels and national standardisation are all taken into account as well. A levels will probably be fairish, not convinced at all at GCSE level.

Back