• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Referees who don’t know the rules...

MobNet Wolf

Reaction score
I can live with referees failing to see things. Or contentious decisions going the other way. But nothing has me riled up like a referee who doesn’t know the laws of the game.

I didn’t get much recognition of this from those around me in the ground, and Frank please tell me if I’m wrong, but Jota should not have been required to leave the pitch after Cattermole was sent off.

Along with the backwards pass from kick off and the end of the “double punishment” penalty and red card situation, the third rule introduced by IFAB in summer 2016 was that a player who is injured and requires treatment following a challenge that earns the opposition player a card, does not have to leave the pitch.

It might sound minor, but getting things like that wrong is unacceptable for a professional referee.

Did the referee suspect a head injury to Jota?

Furthermore, it took the referee an age to permit Jota to come back onto the pitch.

It was only when one of ours had stopped that lively lookingbwinger of theirs and Jota was shouting at the ref from the touchline.

Furthermore, it took the referee an age to permit Jota to come back onto the pitch.

It was only when one of ours had stopped that lively lookingbwinger of theirs and Jota was shouting at the ref from the touchline.

Which also left us light on the left side which, in my opinion, led indirectly to Douglas’ booking.

That said, though the ref had a decent game otherwise.

Thought the ref did OK yesterday for most of the game, we have had far worse this season. Other than JOS and Cattermole I didn't think Sunderland were that dirty especially compared to some of our recent games.

We need to concentrate on what we can control rather than worry about what we can't.

The ref I desperately don't want to see again is Steve Martin he is almost as bad as Rennie was no idea how he still has a job.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I can live with referees failing to see things. Or contentious decisions going the other way. But nothing has me riled up like a referee who doesn’t know the laws of the game.

I didn’t get much recognition of this from those around me in the ground, and Frank please tell me if I’m wrong, but Jota should not have been required to leave the pitch after Cattermole was sent off.

Along with the backwards pass from kick off and the end of the “double punishment” penalty and red card situation, the third rule introduced by IFAB in summer 2016 was that a player who is injured and requires treatment following a challenge that earns the opposition player a card, does not have to leave the pitch.

It might sound minor, but getting things like that wrong is unacceptable for a professional referee.

I think rather than it being a case of the referee not knowing the laws of the game, it was probably just an oversight. Mistakes happen, and I am sure the assessor mentioned it after the game.

Thought the ref did OK yesterday for most of the game, we have had far worse this season. Other than JOS and Cattermole I didn't think Sunderland were that dirty especially compared to some of our recent games.

We need to concentrate on what we can control rather than worry about what we can't.

The ref I desperately don't want to see again is Steve Martin he is almost as bad as Rennie was no idea how he still has a job.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Can you please clarify why you do not think Steve Martin is a good referee?

Apart from Cattermole losing his mind don't think Sunderland were dirty really, lots of little niggling fouls designed to knock us out of our stride which they did to a certain extent, just they defended really well

I think rather than it being a case of the referee not knowing the laws of the game, it was probably just an oversight. Mistakes happen, and I am sure the assessor mentioned it after the game.

I'm pretty sure some referee's do not know the rule Frank. It's not the first time this has happened since the rule came in, it has happened at least 3 times now and it really takes the piss when he then waits nearly 2 minutes and for the other team to counter down the side where Jota would have been before he waves him on.

I'm pretty sure some referee's do not know the rule Frank. It's not the first time this has happened since the rule came in, it has happened at least 3 times now and it really takes the piss when he then waits nearly 2 minutes and for the other team to counter down the side where Jota would have been before he waves him on.

When a player leaves the pitch, it is up to the referee when he lets him back on. Normally he should be allowed back as soon as he is ready unless the referee thinks he would be able to have an immediate affect on the game.

Can you please clarify why you do not think Steve Martin is a good referee?

I will give a more measured response before the rants start ;)

He is a local referee, from Stoke, who supports Aston Villa. Before we even get into his performances this should bar him from officiating our games. I am not going to claim that he deliberately referees with a bias against us but man he has made some shocking decisions (and non decisions) in the Wolves matches he has overseen.
As you know, I've been a referee and run the line but this bloke wouldn't look out of place on at a Sunday League game. His enforcement of the Laws of the game are sporadic at best and he will go from not punishing bad challenges with the correct card (if any card) to throwing them around like confetti.
Frank, if you'd been in attendance at the games he had officiated for Wolves I'm certain you would have been as baffled as us fans were if not quite as angry. There is a young referee who sits in front of us in the South Bank and they dread the referee meetings that he is in attendance. They become all about him and how wonderful he is and maybe, one day, you might be as good as him. The man gives referees a bad name and if I never want to see him referee a Wolves game again as he will, no doubt, be of the same (lack of) standard he has shown already this season

Well I attempted to drive to the shops (huge mistake) but it seems that Darlo has already said pretty much what I would have said, the guy is clueless. He goes from one extreme to the other, if he was at least consistent we could say that hes overly lenient or overly harsh but there seems no method in his madness.

He really does remind me of Uriah Rennie who just seemed to want to be the centre of attention rather than officiate the game properly.

When a player leaves the pitch, it is up to the referee when he lets him back on. Normally he should be allowed back as soon as he is ready unless the referee thinks he would be able to have an immediate affect on the game.

Firstly Jota shouldn't have been off the pitch as already mentioned but he blatantly didn't know the rule. He then could have waved Jota on but he didn't and Sunderland attacked down the side where we had a man less. Douglas committed a foul, got booked and it was only then when Jota walked down the line too him did the ref let him back on.

I don't think the referee had an effect on the game at all but he wasn't very good imo. He barely had anything to do but missed several little things that he shouldn't have for both sides, he had no choice but to send Cattermole off when he had already booked him so it wasn't really a good decision. In fact i would say Cattermole was slightly unlucky as his first yellow seemed harsh. Wilson could have seen red 5 minutes in to the second half for his awful hacking down of Jota and i would say that was worse than both Cattermole's tackles put together.

I don't like to moan about referees but in this case...... he loves the abuse (probably thinks its a sign of him being strong) he goes from letting the game flow to stopping it for the slightest thing. I do not however think IIRC he has directly cost us a goal or match with his incredably infuriating affitiating style.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-steve-martin-referee-who-12267936

His performance in that match attracted attention within refereeing circles. Though one bad apple does not spoil the bunch.
I think that's the point, well certainly for me it is. Every ref will make mistakes ive had a bash a few times in friendlies at Sunday league level and hated it. The ref yesterday did alright for me, maybe got a few things wrong but these are people not robots.

I believe there are a few bad ones like Steve Martin who seem to deliberately officiate in a certain way to gain attention, those are the ones we should be talking about.

I don't think Cattermole was unlucky with his 1st booking at all, could have been a straight red for me, from where we were sat looked like he held Saiss back then deliberately dragged his studs down the back of Saiss leg

What pissed me off yesterday about the ref was his complete disregard for time wasting. Sunderland came and were doing it from minute one. And then he only added on 5 mins!? We wouldn’t have scored if he’d added 20 so it’s slightly irrelevant, but I go to football games to watch football not watch the goakeeper take 30 seconds every time the ball goes out of play

Back