• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Referees who don’t know the rules...

In fairness to the ref, I’m pretty sure he did wave Jota on the moment the free kick was taken on, Jota just missed the command. That also seemed to be what the referee was explaining when Jota did come back onto the pitch.

I don't think Cattermole was unlucky with his 1st booking at all, could have been a straight red for me, from where we were sat looked like he held Saiss back then deliberately dragged his studs down the back of Saiss leg

Saiss dragged the ball back and Cattermole kicked him in the calf, it wasn't that bad and i think it was possibly his first foul of the game. Would have been disappointed had he booked one of ours for that.

Saiss dragged the ball back and Cattermole kicked him in the calf, it wasn't that bad and i think it was possibly his first foul of the game. Would have been disappointed had he booked one of ours for that.

Must be my old eyes then,looked vicious and premeditated, the one on Jota I called as soon as the ball went to him

What pissed me off yesterday about the ref was his complete disregard for time wasting. Sunderland came and were doing it from minute one. And then he only added on 5 mins!? We wouldn’t have scored if he’d added 20 so it’s slightly irrelevant, but I go to football games to watch football not watch the goakeeper take 30 seconds every time the ball goes out of play
Ah yes the keeper should have got a yellow card that was very irritating.

What pissed me off yesterday about the ref was his complete disregard for time wasting. Sunderland came and were doing it from minute one. And then he only added on 5 mins!? We wouldn’t have scored if he’d added 20 so it’s slightly irrelevant, but I go to football games to watch football not watch the goakeeper take 30 seconds every time the ball goes out of play

Ah yes the keeper should have got a yellow card that was very irritating.

Then again Sunderland were going to continue doing that all the time the Ref allowed it

Don't blame them - up to the Ref to clamp down on it early & they would have had to stop or risk more players going off

Must be my old eyes then,looked vicious and premeditated, the one on Jota I called as soon as the ball went to him

It was just a little kick and i think the highlights show that. For the second yellow once he took the bad touch he was always going to dive in and it was just whether Jota could pinch it or not.

In the context of the game Jota had not long been done by O'Shea and another tackle went in on Saiss I think it was the referee stamping his authority on the game and then Cattermole made a rod for his own back minute later. Certainly not his worst case of red mist.

In fairness to the ref, I’m pretty sure he did wave Jota on the moment the free kick was taken on, Jota just missed the command. That also seemed to be what the referee was explaining when Jota did come back onto the pitch.
yep thats what my brother said while i was ranting

Steve Martin had another blinder in the Reading v Cardiff match by the sounds of it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I don't know what the ref said to Jota, but it looked to me that it was one of Sunderlands players, Dove I think, that told Jota to leave the pitch after his treatment.

Steve Martin had another blinder in the Reading v Cardiff match by the sounds of it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Apart from a bit of a mix up over a throw in I thought he did OK. He handled the situation with the Cardiff City manager well. Firstly he warned him, and the next rant from Warnock saw him sent to the stands. And there did not appear to be too much controversy in the game.

He was fine, I was watching with a critical eye and couldnt get excited about anything. BTW I thought Cardiff played well but if our Dave hadn't missed a sitter to make it 3-0........

Apart from a bit of a mix up over a throw in I thought he did OK. He handled the situation with the Cardiff City manager well. Firstly he warned him, and the next rant from Warnock saw him sent to the stands. And there did not appear to be too much controversy in the game.
I didn't see it to be fair I just saw a load of people moaning about him on Twitter again, perhaps its only the reputation on this occasion.

Then again Sunderland were going to continue doing that all the time the Ref allowed it

Don't blame them - up to the Ref to clamp down on it early & they would have had to stop or risk more players going off

Ah yes, an old favourite of mine.
Just take the clock out of the hands of the 4 officials and give some bloke in the stands.
Simple, when the ball goes out of play the clock stops.
How is that hard to implement?
Works well in other sports.

Ah yes, an old favourite of mine.
Just take the clock out of the hands of the 4 officials and give some bloke in the stands.
Simple, when the ball goes out of play the clock stops.
How is that hard to implement?
Works well in other sports.

Makes real sense to take the timekeeping off field - full 90 mins then the clock goes red and stops as soon as the ball goes dead as it does in RU

Allows the ref to manage the game play without looking at his watch every few seconds

This has been suggested many times. But given the amount of time the ball is out of play, there would either need to be 30 minute halves, or games would last three hours, neither of which option has been appealing.

the ball going out of play isn't really the issue, its the time it takes to restart from that point which is the problem. if players knew the clock stopped, there would be no incentive to delay further.

This has been suggested many times. But given the amount of time the ball is out of play, there would either need to be 30 minute halves, or games would last three hours, neither of which option has been appealing.

Depends how you time it really - much wasted time due to player actions which can be ignored

Doesn't cause a major problem in rugby & assume that the timekeeper has rules on what is reasonable for offield time for particular incidents

Back