• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Revisiting old albums

Well, I gave their first album a listen today. Hmmm, theres something to be said that the best place for nostalgia is in the past.

Really struggled through the first half of the album until I got to Bentley gonna sort you out, then whoosh was ok before the album drifted off. I went back for a second listen and had to skip tracks until BGSYO,.

It sounded dated and rambling, if thats possible for an electronic album.

I'm currently listening to their second offering and I have to say it fairs better with an obvious improvement in production techniques but ultimately still falls down as, well just a bit crap. Gutbuster has a decent rhythm but even that sounds very clunky in places.

Sorry LJ but whatever BRA had on me is long lost, sadly too as I remember really liking them at one stage

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Double header Listening Party with Neil Hannon of Casanova and Absent Friends tonight.

Absolutely sublime.

Well, I gave their first album a listen today. Hmmm, theres something to be said that the best place for nostalgia is in the past.

Really struggled through the first half of the album until I got to Bentley gonna sort you out, then whoosh was ok before the album drifted off. I went back for a second listen and had to skip tracks until BGSYO,.

It sounded dated and rambling, if thats possible for an electronic album.

I'm currently listening to their second offering and I have to say it fairs better with an obvious improvement in production techniques but ultimately still falls down as, well just a bit crap. Gutbuster has a decent rhythm but even that sounds very clunky in places.

Sorry LJ but whatever BRA had on me is long lost, sadly too as I remember really liking them at one stage

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

no need to apologise matey! There is a reason why I haven't listened to it for so long. Perhaps I like it at the mo purely because it seems new.

Agree with you - the 2nd album never grabbed me. When I put BRA on, I did debate finding out the 2nd album. Decided against it.

Fairly sure that I will file the cd away in a week or 2, and it'll be a few years when I dig it out again.

Michael Jackson - Thriller
https://open.spotify.com/album/2ANVost0y2y52ema1E9xAZ
My dad loved this album, and I revisited it by playing his old vinyl of this. It was like being transported back in time for a moment - I was back in my parents living room in my childhood for a couple of moments. I could see the old carpet and everything.
So in a nostalgia filled way, although so much is instantly recognisable, I was surprised to find how much extra I heard in this. Perhaps it was simply paying attention, but the amount of detail on this record is actually phenomenally high. The tunes, so many of them seem familiar, but the segues, the ad libs, and the chats (like between MJ and McCartney on the girl is mine) is so well constructed. And frequently the album almost sounds live, as it is filled with all sorts of background noise, interwoven sonically.
The first 7 tracks are of course, absolute dynamite. As a kid, I loved PYT. It hasn't aged as well as the previous 7 tracks. The lady in my life is the closest we get to filler.

I'm currently listening to loads of old stuff atm after loading my new machine up all morning....only about another 3 days to go

I listened to Iron Maiden's Killers for the first time in years (and with significantly better audio equipment than I could afford in college) on my post-Thanksgiving drive home; man does that record hit different for me. I know Bruce is the voice of Maiden, but Di'Anno really clicks with my ears for whatever reason.

Of course, I find even the Blaze Bayley albums to be quite listenable (there are some absolute bangers on X Factor and Virtual XI, no matter what anyone says), so I've always been kind of out there with my Maiden opinions.

I listened to Iron Maiden's Killers for the first time in years (and with significantly better audio equipment than I could afford in college) on my post-Thanksgiving drive home; man does that record hit different for me. I know Bruce is the voice of Maiden, but Di'Anno really clicks with my ears for whatever reason.

Of course, I find even the Blaze Bayley albums to be quite listenable (there are some absolute bangers on X Factor and Virtual XI, no matter what anyone says), so I've always been kind of out there with my Maiden opinions.
There is no doubt Dickinson has the better vocal range but personally I prefer the sound of Di'Annos voice

I walked to work yesterday instead of biking it so blasted out a listen to Soul Asylum's Hang Time on the way. I always remembered it as being a great album and I still love it now. Probably their best record after Grave Dancer's Union. I'm going to have to go through the rest of their back catalogue again now...

great pair of albums t-dan! hang time is great.
I have a great bootleg of soul asylum from around 1993/4. must dig it out.

have debated resurrecting this thread repeatedly over the past year. My head hasn't been in it (though I have continued to listen to loads of music). Hopefully I will be able to over winter.
edit, better try and remember to check what I already posted on the thread. I know there's at least 1 album I did twice!

Killers is a great album. Both of the Di’anno albums are absolute bangers. But Bruce is Maiden for me as the first Maiden I got was Piece of Mind and swiftly followed by Beast and Powerslave when it came out. Live after Death sealed the deal!

We shall not speak about the Bayley era. For the greater good.

The new album is bloody fantastic by the way. Proper return to form.

Killers is a great album. Both of the Di’anno albums are absolute bangers. But Bruce is Maiden for me as the first Maiden I got was Piece of Mind and swiftly followed by Beast and Powerslave when it came out. Live after Death sealed the deal!

We shall not speak about the Bayley era. For the greater good.

The new album is bloody fantastic by the way. Proper return to form.
The songs written for Blaze's vocals work quite well, IMO. Trying to get him to sing something like The Trooper, less so.

Luckily for both of us, Bruce is quite good at making the Blaze tracks his own. The performances of Sign of the Cross and The Clansman from Rock in Rio (2002) are exceptional.

I never saw them live with Bayley. Nearest I got was them being in the same building when Wolfsbane supported Maiden on No Prayer for the Dying.

Bayley wasn’t right for Maiden and it killed a bloody good band in Wolfsbane.

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

Loving listening to this album over this afternoon. Cascade is awesome, as is Dead Skin Cells.
I can only imagine what the planned video/dvd that was originally intended to accompany this album.
FSOL are seen as a bit noodly for many, but given space, they are actually quite prolific (as seen by opening their "vaults" for their archive releases recently).

Popped "Nimrod" by Green Day on the other day, enjoyed bouncing/pogoing around the house to it! Not sure the missus appreciated my enthusiastic pop punk appreciation though!

Steve Lamaq runs an album listening party on a Thursday (Radio 6 music) - this week's was 1977 by Ash, might give the show a listen over the weekend

Popped "Nimrod" by Green Day on the other day, enjoyed bouncing/pogoing around the house to it! Not sure the missus appreciated my enthusiastic pop punk appreciation though!

Steve Lamaq runs an album listening party on a Thursday (Radio 6 music) - this week's was 1977 by Ash, might give the show a listen over the weekend
2 great albums there that my lad got me into

Those Steve lamacq album shows are really good listening, just plays the album straight through, no interruptions, sometimes get an interview before as well if it’s a short album

1977 is a great album. Green Day I prefer Dookie and American Idiot, but you can't really go wrong with their stuff

Back