• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Revisiting old albums

Oasis produced some shite after the underrated Be Here Now but Blur made The Great Escape. They also got Damien Hirst to direct the Country House video. The prosecution rests.

The most overblown and blown out of proportion release in recent memory is under-rated? Have to say I disagree.
All around the workd is trite, and appears twice. Stand By Me is woeful, always hated it. D'You know what I mean and Be Here Now are the only decent tracks, and they wasted Stay Young. The rest is the sound of the band disappearing up their arses.

Stand By Me a great track! They did an acoustic version - just Liam singing with Noel playing guitar and providing backing vocals and it's fantastic.

Also, The Girl in the Dirty Shirt is a cracking tune.

Always liked Don't Go Away myself.

The most overblown and blown out of proportion release in recent memory is under-rated? Have to say I disagree.
All around the workd is trite, and appears twice. Stand By Me is woeful, always hated it. D'You know what I mean and Be Here Now are the only decent tracks, and they wasted Stay Young. The rest is the sound of the band disappearing up their arses.

Oh it was hyped no question but not long after it came out people dismissed it as not very good and that view has held ever since. 7 good tunes on there and 5 pap.

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell II - Back Into Hell

I used to LOVE this album when I was about 12 and I STILL know every word to every track despite it being years since I listened to it. It's utterly preposterous, massively OTT power rock penned by Jim Steinman but I'm not ashamed to admit that I fucking loved listening to it as I was working yesterday.

Everyone knows I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) but it's not the best track on there - nor is it the longest title. Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are gets that accolade, with tracks like Wasted Youth and Out Of The Frying Pan (And Into The Fire) are amongst my personal favourites.

Favourite lyric: "I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, but I do remember that it had a heart of chrome and a voice like a horny angel" :icon_lol: Poetry.

It's un-apologetically corny and if this wasn't an album I played to death in my pre-teens, I'd probably think it was a load of shite but a large dose of nostalgia means I still REALLY enjoyed this particular revisit.

Be Here Now isnt as bad as people claim. Massively hyped, and then overblown negativity towards it. Obviously not an patch on the first 2 albums but still a good listen

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell II - Back Into Hell

I used to LOVE this album when I was about 12 and I STILL know every word to every track despite it being years since I listened to it. It's utterly preposterous, massively OTT power rock penned by Jim Steinman but I'm not ashamed to admit that I fucking loved listening to it as I was working yesterday.

Everyone knows I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) but it's not the best track on there - nor is it the longest title. Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are gets that accolade, with tracks like Wasted Youth and Out Of The Frying Pan (And Into The Fire) are amongst my personal favourites.

Favourite lyric: "I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, but I do remember that it had a heart of chrome and a voice like a horny angel" :icon_lol: Poetry.

It's un-apologetically corny and if this wasn't an album I played to death in my pre-teens, I'd probably think it was a load of shite but a large dose of nostalgia means I still REALLY enjoyed this particular revisit.

Nowhere near as good as Bat Out of Hell or Dead Ringer. About the same level as Modern Girl. It's okay I guess. The original Bat and Dead Ringer are seminal works though.

Nowhere near as good as Bat Out of Hell or Dead Ringer. About the same level as Modern Girl. It's okay I guess. The original Bat and Dead Ringer are seminal works though.

Bat out of Hell is iconic and you can never tire of the title song, over 500 weeks in the album charts says enough :)

Jim Steinman along with Russ Ballard deserve so much credit

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Taking myself all the way back to the early 90s. To be honest, I think I got into this partly because many of my "peers" were raving about the Chilli's.
Turns out most of those people were complete fucking tossers, but thats another tale.
So how does this stack up? Genuinely haven't listened to it for many years. Yet it is instantly familiar, starting with Give It Away.
I enjoyed the albums flow. Many albums have peaks/troughs, especially around singles. This has loads of segues between tracks, making it much more of a whole. So 18 tracks flies by, and was a really enjoyable afternoon. Instead of listening out for individual tracks, seeing the whole album flow was a much better experience.
I've heard other Chilli singles, and haven't been greatly enamoured. I own "what hits?", but hardly ever listened to that in my past.
This album though does remain a part of my youth. And an enjoyable one.

Edit, tracklisting on my cd isn't the same as listed in the youtube link above.

I hate RHCP so much :icon_lol:

Going to be a rare one here where I don't give something the courtesy of a listen, apologies.

Not a worry matey! I'll try and pick something better for another day.
I really like the idea of this thread.

Bat Out Of Hell seems a bit cheesey nowadays but I loved it when it came out, started listening to it again a while ago as we were going to a show based around the songs and it really does have some excellent songs on it

Remember people raving about that Chilli Peppers album - definitely the 'cool' album to own. I quite liked it at the time but I find it almost unlistenable now. Really are the band that proves the cliche that 'all their stuff sounds the same'.

Tellin' Stories - the charlatans,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa7rii2HH64&list=OLAK5uy_kqKJXR-8BguMxCu_Kp3-UF1z7MZJhrff0
summer 1997 I would've walked many streets listening to this album. It has since retained a perception as being a summer album for me (lots of music is quite seasonal for me for some reason).
With no shoes, is a slid opening. North country boy isn't as bad as I used to remember (it was a track I used to skip years ago). Then into the majestic title track, and the brilliant one to another. Indeed a strong all round album (you're a big girl now was the only track that didn't make me smile today). Area 51 is fun, How High is ace, and only teethin' and get on it are better than I expected them to be.
Robs theme at the end makes it oddly melancholy, but this was a fun listen.

Love that album. I saw them around that time (smallish venue, can't remember where). Supported by big Peter Hook and Monaco.

Think I saw them at the civic. Can't recall the support though.

The Anti-Nowhere League - We are the league

Went proper old school with this, in listening to vinyl.
I like music which has oomph. Oomph can come in many styles. I have eclectic tastes, and recall the punk phase with some fondness.
Does it hold up? Well, it is of its time. The lyrics are more attitude than shrewd. second track (animal) does really not age well (I doubt a song with the line "I'm a child molester" is going to hold its head high).
It's definitely the case that the memory of some of these tracks is better than the reality. Woman isn't as funny as I recall it being, and I swear streets of london was better. I hate people however retains its place as being a quality tune, and is as good today as when i first heard it, and lets break the law is still a party tune.

Back