• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Silvio

milsj099

Reaction score
I've been surprised to see that Doherty is being picked ahead of Silvio, and I feel not a lot of Wolves fans know much about Silvio. So I made this video of some of Silvios highlights over the past 3/4 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjbKY4N98ds

I think he should be a guaranteed starter for Wolves, with his experience, defensively ability and attacking skill he is (imo) one of the best fullbacks in the division.

He isn't though, is he? He has had a couple of niggles.

Personally I would play him with one leg ahead of Doherty

Another player that hasn't 'had his chance', esp. from Lambert.
Don't forget he can play either side of the park, and was recently a successful international.

Doesn't have Champ experience though! Which apparently means that Doherty is a better LB.

Doesn't have Champ experience though! Which apparently means that Doherty is a better LB.

Which he will never get if he doesn't get played :confused-smiley-013

Then again nor did Costa & he's not doing too badly

He looked alright against Leeds. Nothing spectacular, not the quickest, but just a steady footballer with nice technique and an obvious sense of where roughly to stand and how to defend. The OG went against him but there was little he could have done, we all know who was at fault for that one...

I doubt we'll see him again. Hasn't even been on the bench since Lambert took over. If he doesn't think he's up to it then that's that I suppose, I would question how someone who has played for Atletico Madrid isn't better than Doherty but then football managers do all kinds of weird things. So long as we sign an actual left back in January then I can deal with it, it's genuinely disgraceful that we've fudged along for an entire calendar year playing a crap right back there. No excuse for that at all, I wouldn't have that off a no budget League Two club.

Which he will never get if he doesn't get played :confused-smiley-013

Then again nor did Costa & he's not doing too badly

I haven't got a clue why that line of reasoning persists either.

Lambert should forget if they just happen to have muddled through a couple of Championship seasons and just put the better player on the pitch, I reckon.*

*Not that I've seen Silvio play yet in this case.

I haven't got a clue why that line of reasoning persists either.

PL should forget if they just happen to have muddled through a couple of Championship seasons and just put the better player on the pitch, I reckon.*

*Not that I've seen Silvio play yet.

Seen Silvio once & as Deutsch says above he's a good steady player with a reasonable understanding of what defending actually means, which is more than the one chosen ahead of him has.
If he had played the number of games this season that Doherty has then he would have gained some championship experience & I very much doubt that we would be worse of than we are points wise

Seen Silvio once & as Deutsch says above he's a good steady player with a reasonable understanding of what defending actually means, which is more than the one chosen ahead of him has.
If he had played the number of games this season that Doherty has then he would have gained some championship experience & I very much doubt that we would be worse of than we are points wise

Aye, totally agree. Sorry if my posts were a bit vague - I'm definitely advocating Silvio over Matt Doherty. My first post was lazy humour re: the whole choosing experience over quality situation. :icon_smile:

Personally I'd love to see Silvio come in and do well, as a) he is surely better than Doherty, as has been said, and b) I do appreciate a good full back!

Aye, totally agree. Sorry if my posts were a bit vague - I'm definitely advocating Silvio over Matt Doherty. My first post was lazy humour re: the whole choosing experience over quality situation. :icon_smile:

Personally I'd love to see Silvio come in and do well, as a) he is surely better than Doherty, as has been said, and b) I do appreciate a good full back!

Your posts weren't vague - knew what you were alluding to.

Championship experience is overated if you a playing a worse player just because he has played a number of games at this level.

It's flat out bonkers if you ask me. Lambert says he only really knows how good someone is when he sees them play. So he has seen Doc surely he can't think he is a long term solution and hasn't seen Silvio. I think he will be gone in January and that is a shame however I hope we have a LB lined up as we are going nowhere without it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

He's on a one year deal isn't he?

Lambert has had 3 games with an unfamiliar squad. The team will evolve from the previous regimes but he's not going to change all 11 immediately. Like Saiss and others, if Silvio is good enough he will get a chance.

What injuries has he had since he signed?

Oh, I wasn't being entirely serious. I posted that because it's easier to pass his lack of involvement off that way.

Silvio should be starting every week, if available. Same as Cav. It's ludicrous that we had Silvio + Cav available for a number of weeks and instead played Doherty + Saville.

Back