• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Techy Stuff Help!

My wife and I are finally going to be getting a new TV after having our old 32inch for the last 10 years.

Looking to spend £300 - £400 but don't really know anything about TVs these days. What should we be looking for?

If you're on Facebook go on Currys PC World page, they've got an offer on to win one !

We've got to use Curry's as we have a gift card.

I was looking at Samsung or possibly LG. I have no idea what the difference is between the two though.
Both of them make great TVs nowadays.

You can get a 4K TV with HDR for £400 nowadays. You may as well future-proof as much as you can.

What sort of size can you go up to?

Also look out for deals that have a soundbar included. Modern TV speakers nowadays aren't very good.

Future proofing is a myth, like burn-in on headphones.

Find what best suits your needs TODAY. Trying to predict the best fit for tomorrow, especially in tech, is a fool's errand.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Buy the best TV you can afford today and it'll last you longer than just buying one that's cheaper.

Thing is, at least with TVs, you’re going to keep them longer than most tech. I’m flipping terrible to not holding on to tech long, I change phones, tablets, watches, PVRs loads. But the TV in our sitting Room is probably 5 or 6 years old. Apps will be supported for maybe 2 to 3 years. So basically buy the best picture etc and don’t buy the best app system.

Though if you really have to buy to get good apps get a Phillips or Sony Android TV - at least they run apps separately updated.

For what it's worth our Samsung TVs get recycled round the house every time I get the itch to buy a new TV and all of them still run every app you'd need just fine, even the oldest one. Different GUIs one each now nearly but who gives a fuck about that if you can watch what you want to?

Cheers Bear.

I had been looking at this one:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...mart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10206294-pdt.html

The one you suggested is cheaper though...

I'm not overly bothered by the apps as we have decent broadband now and run most things through Chromecast. It would be handy to have it all built-in though.
Yeah I just picked the cheapest one for you as an example. Any of those Samsung or LG ones at £329 will be good.

I also say go for the biggest screen you can afford or fit in your room. People often say - I don't need one that big, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to it. I have a 55" which is huge, but I could happily go up to a 65"!

Though I'd suggest leaving £50ish aside (if possible with your vouchers) just in case you don't like the TV speakers, and want to pick up a cheapish soundbar.

My 43" LG is excellent - an absolute doddle to set up and use. Only issue with it as ITV player won't stream live.

My e-mail address has been xxxxxx@yahoo.com for many years.
Unfortunately (although it works fine), the yahoo calendar tries to send notifications to my e-mail name xxxxx@yahoo.co.uk - therefore they just come up unreadable.

Whilst it is not a big problem, I have tried to resolve this for years! It just frustrates me that I cannot direct the calendar notifications to the correct xxxxx@yahoo.com account.

Any ideas?

Cheers

My e-mail address has been xxxxxx@yahoo.com for many years.
Unfortunately (although it works fine), the yahoo calendar tries to send notifications to my e-mail name xxxxx@yahoo.co.uk - therefore they just come up unreadable.

Whilst it is not a big problem, I have tried to resolve this for years! It just frustrates me that I cannot direct the calendar notifications to the correct xxxxx@yahoo.com account.

Any ideas?

Cheers

I don't truly understand the problem since I don't use Yahoo, but this is how you change reminder settings:

Set reminders and get notifications in Yahoo Calendar

Let Yahoo Calendar remember important dates and appointments for you by sending reminders to notify you of upcoming events. Set default reminders for your events and change them when you need to.

Configure reminder settings

Click the Calendar icon Image of the Calendar icon in Mail. in Yahoo Mail.
Click on the Expand Calendar icon Click to expand the Calendar..
Mouse over the Settings icon Image of the Settings icon. | select Calendar options.
Click Reminders.
Select when and how you want to receive notifications.
Click Save.

Any event you create will follow your reminder settings by default.

Yeah I just picked the cheapest one for you as an example. Any of those Samsung or LG ones at £329 will be good.

I also say go for the biggest screen you can afford or fit in your room. People often say - I don't need one that big, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to it. I have a 55" which is huge, but I could happily go up to a 65"!

Though I'd suggest leaving £50ish aside (if possible with your vouchers) just in case you don't like the TV speakers, and want to pick up a cheapish soundbar.
65"?!

How big is this room? We've got 32" in our front room, no issue with seeing anything on it from the opposite corner of the room so doubt we'll ever look to go bigger than that.

It's not about having bad eyesight or seeing stuff more clearly. It's about an immersive experience. 32" is tiny.

It's TV, it's not like having my whole wall illuminated with a picture is going to trick my mind into thinking I'm right there in the story. I can see everything just fine on what I've got, why would I ever need to go bigger?

Better tell the cinemas that then. They can all get screens half the size and save some money.

Back