• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Car Thread

You’d be scared to take out your Vauxhall Chevette automatic, or your Austin Maxi 1750 auto, they must be priceless.

Outnerding the nerds there, and making everyone check chevettes and maxis

The motors need desirability as well as scarcity to bring the big bucks, hence the values of Leeds’ RS1800. Not sure a Maxi or Chevette (Chevette 2300 HS excluded of course) have too wide an appeal!

Another site which I spend way too much time on is:

Thought when changing the car recently it would be a good time to tempt the missus into the classic route and buy a bit of time to let everything settle down given the diesel/Ulez furore and the faff of the electric transition. She fancied changing to a convertible, I’d always wanted a MKI Golf GTI so suggested a compromise of MK1 Golf GTI Convertible with a modern pea shooter to run about in. Would’ve made sound economical sense long term too.

No such luck I’m afraid, if you’re not into classic cars then they are just old cars. One day perhaps.

The motors need desirability as well as scarcity to bring the big bucks, hence the values of Leeds’ RS1800. Not sure a Maxi or Chevette (Chevette 2300 HS excluded of course) have too wide an appeal!
Was basing it more on their being 1 of each I mentioned left, don’t get much more scarce than 1 left, and they’d be real rather than logbooked as a RS1800 and built from a 1100 popular shell.
There’s more “lotus” cortina’s and mini “coopers” racing in classic racing today than were built new from the factory

When I was younger I really wanted an Aston Martin DB7 but obviously that was never gonna happen. Looking at the prices now and buying one has certainly moved into the realms of being possible. I know the running costs would be monstrous not to say the reaction from the wife. But I can dream...

When I was younger I really wanted an Aston Martin DB7 but obviously that was never gonna happen. Looking at the prices now and buying one has certainly moved into the realms of being possible. I know the running costs would be monstrous not to say the reaction from the wife. But I can dream...

Running costs would be monstrous but if prices have stabilised to the point of zero depreciation then over a fixed term the total cost would likely be comparable with running something relatively ordinary. It would be very tough to pay a fortune at the pump and then have to stomach a bill of say, a couple of grand for a set of brakes, and then have to psychologically adjust to the fact it’s offset against depreciation savings but if the passion is there that would sit more comfortably.

With the fun being sucked out of motoring it’s very hard to be motivated to spend a lot of money on something sterile that is purely an analytical ppm means-of-transport calculation. That feels pretty soulless to me and I really struggled with it. If you’re not into into motors it’s something you’re unlikely to be too bothered about but it really got to me.

Lots of people are turning to the classic car market for those reasons and with the right choice of appreciating car can just about have your cake and eat it. Not surprising those getting turned off by legislation and the lack of engagement with new motors are turning in that direction.

All just different levels of expense though and ultimately it’s common sense v passion. As you say, you have to dream.

Speaking of monstrous maintenance costs, here's the oldie but goodie I have my eyes on if I ever get properly rich...

SON6.jpg

In that exact green if I can (though I wouldn't turn my nose up at the orange and blue models). Saab Sonnett III. Finding parts to repair this thing must be damn near impossible by now.

Although if I could land a proper 99 Turbo that wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Last edited:
If you can wink with the headlights I'm in

I see this parked at the station in Bridgnorth sometimes. Year of manufacture 1925, taxed until September 2023!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_182400_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_182400_Gallery.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230601_182346_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_182346_Gallery.jpg
    894.9 KB · Views: 6
My Dad's first car for general every day use, was a black (any colour....) Ford Prefect!

Telegraph have done a Top 100 cars ever made list

Some interesting choices..

Edit - just been through and I've had 4 of them including my current car.

Dealbreaker at #91 for me.

"Sport Activity Vehicle". My ass.

Yeah fair, has to consume as much Carbon as a small country in the US to class as one of those.

Back