• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Chasing Pack - GAME OVER AMIGOS

Johnson Doyle ( whose premier league scoring record was why we bought him and it more than halved with us) Ohara came from relegated Portsmouth let's not be pedantic that he was on loan, Hunt, awful. All of them played significant minutes for sides ultimately relegated, not 15 minutes in a season

Fletcher was fine , then it ended badly thanks to #headsgone.

I just don't see any player in those three teams worth either the money or the chance of it going awry. Bar Mawson.And he will go to an established premier team not a newly promoted one. Let Mendes weave his foreign funding magic at less cost. A mharez or a Kante or a Salah would do nicely!

Johnson Doyle ( whose premier league scoring record was why we bought him and it more than halved with us) Ohara came from relegated Portsmouth let's not be pedantic that he was on loan, Hunt, awful. All of them played significant minutes for sides ultimately relegated, not 15 minutes in a season

Fletcher was fine , then it ended badly thanks to #headsgone.

I just don't see any player in those three teams worth either the money or the chance of it going awry. Bar Mawson.And he will go to an established premier team not a newly promoted one.

Doyle was excellent in his first two seasons for us. There were plenty of clubs sniffing around him at the time and it made perfect sense to nail him down with a new contract. It went south from there onwards but for what we paid for him I'd say that he was a good buy.

I listed the players we signed in our last run in the Premier League earlier in the thread and it didn't go tits up because we signed Doyle and Fletcher from relegated clubs, it went tits up because we added to them with some rank, shit squad filler who didn't actually improve our starting XI and then Mick went ultra defensive

Also as has been pointed out, O'Hara signed for us eight whole months after he left Portsmouth and then stayed up with us, and there was over a year between Doyle getting relegated with Reading and him signing for Wolves (and he then stayed up TWICE here).

Are we ok to sign Ben Gibson now? Over a year since he got relegated.

On the bright side, if we get relegated nobody will be looking at Neves or Jota.

Also as has been pointed out, O'Hara signed for us eight whole months after he left Portsmouth and then stayed up with us, and there was over a year between Doyle getting relegated with Reading and him signing for Wolves (and he then stayed up TWICE here).

Are we ok to sign Ben Gibson now? Over a year since he got relegated.

DW it's just my opinion. You're welcome not to agree. We are in a different place now. Don't need last year's cast offs

As I myself have said, there isn't a great deal out there that I'd want. Mawson and Bauer yes, Butland will have bigger fish to fry and Shaqiri isn't my cup of tea. Don't want any of Albion's squad on merit bar Evans (and the same applies there as Butland) and given we haven't bought anyone off them since 1990 it'd be unlikely to happen anyway.

It's the blanket condemnation of all relegated players that just doesn't stack up plus you're using examples that aren't valid (either they actually did perform for us like Fletcher did, or they weren't even freshly relegated so don't come into the argument).

As I myself have said, there isn't a great deal out there that I'd want. Mawson and Bauer yes, Butland will have bigger fish to fry and Shaqiri isn't my cup of tea. Don't want any of Albion's squad on merit bar Evans (and the same applies there as Butland) and given we haven't bought anyone off them since 1990 it'd be unlikely to happen anyway.

It's the blanket condemnation of all relegated players that just doesn't stack up plus you're using examples that aren't valid (either they actually did perform for us like Fletcher did, or they weren't even freshly relegated so don't come into the argument).

So for different reasons and methodology we agree. Moving on.

With Villa apparently wanting £40m for Grealish (which is absolutely ridiculous). Which idiot is going to pay a stupid amount and let them massively off the hook?

My moneys on Leicester blowing the Mahrez cash

Yep, could see it being an Akinbiyi situation (again!) for them. Sell their first choice star player, everyone knows you have money and desperately need a replacement, price goes up way over the actual value as a result. Of course Ade had that happen to him twice in a year.

Realistically they should make Villa sweat, I'm not even convinced he could play where Mahrez does. They'd surely have to make tactical adjustments, mind you maybe Puel is planning on that. They can be more than a bit one-dimensional these days.

With Villa apparently wanting £40m for Grealish (which is absolutely ridiculous). Which idiot is going to pay a stupid amount and let them massively off the hook?

My moneys on Leicester blowing the Mahrez cash

I'm fine with that valuation. Means Neves is worth a billion quid

I'd rather give Kapustka a go at Mahrez's position than spunk half of that money on Grealish.

Back