• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2023/24

Alex Bruce quits as Macclesfield boss to become the new assistant at Salford
Good news and hopefully they’ll be poorer for him leaving.
My nearest non league side have reached the quarter finals of the FA trophy and have drawn them in the next round. A fantastic achievement for both clubs to get this far considering the levels they are both at.

Tim Walter sacked by HSV. They're 3rd in the league. Stupid club.

I moved to Hamburg in September 2001. When they get around to appointing a new manager it'll be their 23rd (not counting interims) since then.
Steffen Baumgart (ex-Paderborn and Köln) the latest man in the hottest of hot seats.

Last man standing and unemployed after he was binned from Blues with Rooney

Some fun on the rumour mill. If Stoke lose to Boro tomorrow they'll sack Schumacher and appoint Pulis.

What a club.

Geoff in midfield was fucking weird. Pulis shunted him out to RB a few times, too.

Oh, I miss Cameron. Really good footballer for an American CB, relatively speaking.

We need someone right now , and I'd take O'Shea all day long ahead of some of the names who were getting mentioned .

We need investment in under age international football over here in both the development of the players at the various age grades and facilities . The League of Ireland needs a lot more funding as well for both the senior teams and the academies at the various clubs .

The above is where monies needs to go from a long term investment point of view . Our Government is willing to put funding into this , but the FAI must come up with a credible plan first , and correctly so as well .

Therefore I'm not overly concerned at the relatively low salary being offered to the new senior Manager - which in turn is appearing to attract a low calibre field . The money must be spend in the right places , and if that means that our senior international team flounders for another 5 years while our under age system flourishes , then so be it .

On a side note - Brian Kerr has been drafted in to help John O' Shea in an advisory capacity . Very happy with that news , a man very badly treated by John Delaney back in the day , and a man with a host of knowledge on existing players .

Kerr did properly drop the ball as manager, mind. Not at fault for missing Euro 2004 as Mick's aborted effort meant it was a long shot to start with but a very poor effort at qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. A seriously talented group of players and managed to finish below Israel.

Only beat Cyprus and Faroe Islands in qualification.

Kerr did properly drop the ball as manager, mind. Not at fault for missing Euro 2004 as Mick's aborted effort meant it was a long shot to start with but a very poor effort at qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. A seriously talented group of players and managed to finish below Israel.

Only beat Cyprus and Faroe Islands in qualification.

Not disagreeing with you there , but other Managers were given longer than he was . He had too many draws during his time in charge and to be fair - not that many defeats . Just too conservative in his approach . He had coached a fair sprinkling of those players at under age level ( especially Keane and Duffer ) - 2 attackers who wanted a more forward oriented approach .

And then - take a look at who we appointed after that ! What a disaster !

After essentially 6 months of looking for Stephen Kenny's replacement they landed with his assistant. Failed at Blues & was coach for final 12 months of Stephen Kenny's reign when all shape & tactics disappeared from the team, worst thing that could happen is he does decent & the large Man Utd rump in Ireland's support start shouting for him to be appointed.

FAI have said they will make appointment in early April, fact they have stated a "hard" date rather then saying we will appoint in due course would suggest they have someone in mind who can't take it in March. Gus Poyet (who has said he is interested in the job several times) contract with Greece expires on the 30th March, latest other name thrown into the ring is Paul Clement.

Greece are in the playoffs at the end of the month. Kazakhstan at home then Georgia or Luxembourg away.

You've got to think if they go through then Poyet will stay for the finals!

Greece are in the playoffs at the end of the month. Kazakhstan at home then Georgia or Luxembourg away.

You've got to think if they go through then Poyet will stay for the finals!
Yes you would, but apparently things far from rosy between him & Greek FA, even if qualify no guarantee of extending his contract.
Then again might be a game of bluff between both sides.

Yes you would, but apparently things far from rosy between him & Greek FA, even if qualify no guarantee of extending his contract.
Then again might be a game of bluff between both sides.
I'm not sure I'd take him . Too unpredictable , and can fly off the handle too easily .
Anthony Barry might still be an option perhaps .

Blaming O Shea for our problems when he was only an Assistant is a bit unfair .
Did Stephen Kenny listen to him one wonders . Kenny was very much his own man.

Last edited:
Back