• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

Someone being clean through 8 yards out, I think it's harsh to blame ruddy. It's close to his foot but in that area that's hard for a keeper to get to. The defence is more to blame for not being alive to the danger

https://streamja.com/BA69
I guarantee Ruddy blames himself! It looks a better goal on that video than it did from behind the goal. Ruddy has got down and got a hand to it, he's just a bit weak.

I don't think Neto is getting the pen shout even if he went down. The ref was very lenient all game, I don't think he's going to give a soft pen like that.

Managed to give them a free kick for nothing on the winner though! (Not that it excuses a terrible ball like that ending up in the net, should be cleared and should be saved)

Managed to give them a free kick for nothing on the winner though! (Not that it excuses a terrible ball like that ending up in the net, should be cleared and should be saved)
Couldn't really see the reason for the free kick, our view was slightly obscured by the goal and Jed Steer.

Great view for El-Ghazi's and Cutrone's goals though!

I don't think Neto is getting the pen shout even if he went down. The ref was very lenient all game, I don't think he's going to give a soft pen like that.

Only tv watching but he gave some very very soft fouls tonight, i reckon he goes down he gets a penalty.

thought elliot watt could've done well today if he was picked, seems to have a good technique and passing range- something terry taylor looked like he found difficult when trying to pick out his man- has looked good in u23s from what i've seen in bits and bobs on wolves tv.

of course its disappointing to miss out on QFs but think it is for the best. If nuno picked 3 out of jimenez, traore, doc, neves/moutinho- people would be less annoyed but its not the end of the world. now he knows exactly what to focus on in these next two months, massive for our season- but also most difficult period- handling fixture congestion and whether we make knockouts for Europa is the focus now.

Not bothered about the cup, pleased with some of the individual performances and it is good experience for some of our youth. I can't really understand why Nuno put out a weaker team against Villa than he did against Reading, though.

Forced upon Nuno I suspect but have to say Vallejo seems to be questionable (in the Miranda mould). Hope the FA Cup also follows the same suit. Never heard of Campbell and quite puzzled where Niall Ennis is and what he doing. Henri Lansbury - Ugghhh

Forced upon Nuno I suspect but have to say Vallejo seems to be questionable (in the Miranda mould). Hope the FA Cup also follows the same suit. Never heard of Campbell and quite puzzled where Niall Ennis is and what he doing. Henri Lansbury - Ugghhh
Rotherham on loan

I am sad to be out of this. I understand the view of many that it’s a meh cup but if Villa or Leicester win it and get into Europe then I will be pissed off. This was our first defeat in normal time since 2016 having lost on penalties to city and Leicester the last two years.

That said, Nuno wanted a paper thin squad depth so this is one of the consequences. Man City have a shadow squad of world. Class players and internationals who won this cup last year. We have the u23s. To me that is a Nuno ethos he needs to revisit if we are to challenge for any cup or indeed in any competition. We are not good enough to win the premier league or europa league . We may play the kids in the fa cup. If so we need a top 5 finish to avoid europa qualifying again.

We are learning but it was bloody obvious that the tiny squad would struggle on 4 fronts. Injuries were kind last year. Not so this.

File this as a missed opportunity for me same as last year.

We got to the semi final of the FA Cup last year so I'm not sure that argument about kids in the FA Cup holds any water.

We got to the semi final of the FA Cup last year so I'm not sure that argument about kids in the FA Cup holds any water.

Win the Europa and it's Champions League. The top lads can't play em all.

Win the Europa and it's Champions League. The top lads can't play em all.

Us winning the Europa League would be one of the biggest results for an English club in Europe ever. The idea that it is some gimme chance to qualify for the Champions League is absurd.

I am sad to be out of this. I understand the view of many that it’s a meh cup but if Villa or Leicester win it and get into Europe then I will be pissed off. This was our first defeat in normal time since 2016 having lost on penalties to city and Leicester the last two years.

That said, Nuno wanted a paper thin squad depth so this is one of the consequences. Man City have a shadow squad of world. Class players and internationals who won this cup last year. We have the u23s. To me that is a Nuno ethos he needs to revisit if we are to challenge for any cup or indeed in any competition. We are not good enough to win the premier league or europa league . We may play the kids in the fa cup. If so we need a top 5 finish to avoid europa qualifying again.

We are learning but it was bloody obvious that the tiny squad would struggle on 4 fronts. Injuries were kind last year. Not so this.

File this as a missed opportunity for me same as last year.

If and its a big if Leicester/Villa win it they will get my congratulations and would have earned it as they have Everton/Man United/Man City/Liverpool/ to get past first. Have you ever thought that we don't have the finances or FFP room to purchase a shadow squad full of internationals to compete in every competition and that Nuno mentions working with a small squad as its effectively a necessity?

Yes I wanted to win but I don't see it as a missed opportunity.

Back