• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

Jinky

Head Brownie
Reaction score
Thought Sanderson & Jordao did well.

Ruddy will be disappointed with his input.

Clearly Nuno didn't really want us to progress here, but at least the young lads gave it a go.

You think the manager wanted to lose the game?

Could I get a surmised, unbiased version? It seems we played badly but I can't watch anything in Brussels atm

Sanderson had some good moments. None of the fringe players did themselves any favours.

You think the manager wanted to lose the game?
I've seen about 10 mins of it tonight, but given the lineup and 11 changes, I'd say Nuno isn't that bothered. We've got enough games around Christmas as it is.

I doubt he told the players not to win, but you can see it’s not top of his priorities. A shame IMO but understandable.

Thought Kilman came out of that really well. Looked much comfortable on the ball than previously. Can see his confidence rising.

All the young players did well really, not sure they could have done much more individually.

Thought Cutrone had a good game considering the lack of service but shame he missed that chance

Could I get a surmised, unbiased version? It seems we played badly but I can't watch anything in Brussels atm

We sat back the entire game and few ever tried to push forward. Our midfield almost certainly made more passes backwards than sideways or forwards.

I didn't see the game. I'm sure Nuno wanted to win, he picked a team looking at the bigger picture though and I'm guessing didn't expect to.

Agree with YW, thought the team played as well as could be expected. Villa were much older, stronger and experienced. No one let themselves down, Kilman, Jordao and Sanderson were the highlights. Neto let himself down with his behaviour, might not see him for a while. An

I've seen about 10 mins of it tonight, but given the lineup and 11 changes, I'd say Nuno isn't that bothered. We've got enough games around Christmas as it is.

I don't think any manager goes into a game 'not that bothered'. They want to win every time they go out there and I would expect nothing less from the players either.

It is a simple fact we do not have the strength in depth at youth level to bring through a strong set of youngsters and that is clearly what Nuno wants to (or been told to) do.

Agree with YW, thought the team played as well as could be expected. Villa were much older, stronger and experienced. No one let themselves down, Kilman, Jordao and Sanderson were the highlights. Neto let himself down with his behaviour, might not see him for a while. An

Think Sanderson physically held himself well but his first touch was pretty bad. You can tell he is a centre back but clearly we didn’t trust Buur.

An.....................?

Don't leave us hanging

It means we get a week's break in the middle of December

Also means the kids get some experience in very difficult circumstances. That was a strong villa side

Think Sanderson physically held himself well but his first touch was pretty bad. You can tell he is a centre back but clearly we didn’t trust Buur.
I think that is what I said the other day and someone disagreed ;)
An.....................?

Don't leave us hanging
Dropped the phone, I’m blaming lack of sleep and definitely not alcohol

Perry played well, Neto went on some mazy runs albeit quite head down & selfish sometimes.
Sandersen doesnt play there, thought it when watching the China matches... Probaly be a great ball playing central defender but not one to venture over the halfway line with any conviction.
Thought Kilman was great, such composure...Ruddy had his blunder gloves on.
Some of jesus crossfield crosses were awful.....fucking spannered 2 balls behind Vinagre on the 2nd half.
Not sure the point of bringing on BAS just to play out wide in midfield.... Just take Cutrone off.
Too many long balls too.... Way too many.

what exactly did Neto do?????

Basically came off moaning and waving his arms about like a stroppy teenager, Nuno grabbed him by the back of the shirt and threw him in the dugout, followed him in and death stared him !

Ruddy was rubbish. Pretty much cost us the game after the rest of the team worked so hard.

Kilman MOTM. Sanderson was good but his touch and forward play aren’t good enough. CB playing RWB. Bennett and Vallejo nothing good nothing bad. Didn’t stand out.

Vinagre. Flattered to deceive. Doesn’t really do much in an attacking sense, needs to spend less time doing step-overs and offer something tangible. At fault for first goal.

Jordao and Perry were ok. Grew into game after shaky starts.

Neto didn’t really offer enough for me. Gave the ball away a lot. Campbell, not really in the game.

Cutrone. Can’t Judge first half, so isolated. Looked ok second half. Did some nice things, scored and should have had another. Needs to stop fouling people trying to win then ball back as it takes the pressure off. Also stop standing offside from long balls.

If Jonny and Neves play I reckon we win that.

Back