• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Norwich: The Verdict

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Crap first half again. We keep doing that and it'll cost us against decent teams. Tried hard but no complaints about the result.

Thought we deserved a draw based on our second half performance. A midfield 3 of saiss, Edward and Prince it too light for me, especially with the Portuguese 3 up front. I'd like to see coady or Price replace Edwards next game.

Don't know what we do about the defence, Batth is clearly the weak link, but Iorfa is too kamikaze too.

Think we probably deserved a point at the end of that but poor defending has cost us. Need to sort that out, maybe we need some new personnel in January but we have to work with what we have for now. Awful first half, constantly punting the ball away out of defence but great fight in the second half and a Nouha who has been back and playing for a few games would be burying that chance. Coady also helped a lot when he came on. Tip of the hat for Robbie Brady, absolute stunning strike that nobody is saving.

2nd half city fc once again.
Thought Costa/Doherty played well and always had the beating of the man down the line
So why we just kept lumping it the last 10minutes baffled me.
Deserved a draw though.

Impressed with the new signings with the exception of saiss, but perhaps he had a bad game. Batth is hopeless, powder puff for his size, slow and no footballing brain. He is no better now than when he first arrived in the first team. Must be replaced. On the evidence of this performance, with the players we have available, I think we will make the play-offs no problem. Best football I've seen wolves play in a long long time.

Saiss and Prince too lightweight?
Very poor 1st half, much better 2nd half, Edwards brilliant for about 25 minutes, thought Cav was excellent today, glad to see Dicko back, think we need to rotate the midfield 3 more with this pressing game, maybe 3 from Saiss, Edwards, Prince, Coady, Price, also with Dicko back (and hopefully Bod soon) we have more options for our front 3.
Our defense is a bomb scare.......still, but we don't have many options till January.
I actually enjoyed the second half, but we really cannot go on giving opposition a head start.

A few thoughts:
2 shockers from Batth in a week after a really strong performance against Brentford. It's why he will always be a Championship player.
Their legs were gone on 60 mins, we score that Tex or Dicko chance and we win the game.
I like Cav out wide, but not down the middle, too must Freddy belt the ball at their legs and hope for the best.
Great to see Nouha back.
Saiss has to stop picking up silly bookings. He'll be suspended before the end of the month.
Bod is already the most important player in our team.
I thought Edwards was our best midfield player. Got stuck in.

Saiss and Prince too lightweight?
Very poor 1st half, much better 2nd half, Edwards brilliant for about 25 minutes, thought Cav was excellent today, glad to see Dicko back, think we need to rotate the midfield 3 more with this pressing game, maybe 3 from Saiss, Edwards, Prince, Coady, Price, also with Dicko back (and hopefully Bod soon) we have more options for our front 3.
Our defense is a bomb scare.......still, but we don't have many options till January.
I actually enjoyed the second half, but we really cannot go on giving opposition a head start.

Think this is just right. Don't understand the love for Doherty he was garbage in defence but good going forward. Costa MOtM for me, worked hard and created just about everything. Mclosely followed by Cav.

I thought CBJ had a very good game and Norwich weren't much to write home. They had a strong spine and Robbie Brady as a match winner, I'm surprised a PL team didn't buy him in the summer he's clearly in that class.

Crap 1st half much better 2nd. Dicko coming on gave us balance and Cav was much improved out wide. Edwards wasn't bad actually and a decent goal. Costa MOTM by a country mile.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Brady's goal is a top strike but way too easy in the buildup, no one around Jerome to block the initial pass off or stop him popping it off, and no-one follows Brady either.

First goal is toss from Batth, just jump and they don't score.

first match i've seen ,albeit on tv, and a little disappointed with our Portuguese players - technically good, but seem to be beating themselves with too muck trickery. Thought Norwich played some lovely one touch football that exposed us time and time again. their second goal was culmination of 3 or 4 quick passes with no markers in sight.
the potential is there, bu think without Bod or a fully fit & ready Dicko, we are going to struggle.

For all that Wolves improved in the second half, I felt that Norwich City were deserved winners. They looked much brighter and sharper on the ball. We will get there, but Norwich are the benchmark. They are the best team in this league.

How has Danny Batth stole himself a new four year contract? Is there a 28 day refund policy?

Frank sums it up pretty accurately for me. We can't keep playing for only 45 minutes in a game. And we still have players - Batth, Ikeme, Doherty - who are never going to be any better than 14th in the Championship. And I love Walter, but I just don't know. I keep thinking "where would Mick McCarthy have a team if he had the money Walter has had..."

Oh fuck it, I'm drunk and depressed. Why is being a Wolves fan so hard?

Just seen some highlights. The defending by Batth and Ikeme was as bad as I thought. Ikeme is so flat-footed, and the header was close to him.

We tried hard in the 2nd half but only playing for 45 mins has cost us again, and that's something Zenga needs to sort out asap.

I
Frank sums it up pretty accurately for me. We can't keep playing for only 45 minutes in a game. And we still have players - Batth, Ikeme, Doherty - who are never going to be any better than 14th in the Championship. And I love Walter, but I just don't know. I keep thinking "where would Mick McCarthy have a team if he had the money Walter has had..."

Oh fuck it, I'm drunk and depressed. Why is being a Wolves fan so hard?

Sometimes they drive us mad, they always have and always will I suppose, but they are our team and always will be.

Don't worry, mate, some mug will offer us £2m

Unfortunately I think David Moyes will be sacked before January.

On the subject of Zenga, he's 11 games in and whatever he does to set his team up has to change and 11 games should be enough to cotton on we're shite in the first half and do something about it.

We pressed really well and at times passed well through the thirds but he has too much of a Bobby Di Matteo about him at the moment and that needs to change pronto.

That first half was so bad and it's all Zenga's fault. We haven't got Bod but don't try and be clever and try and invent positions. Prince and Edwards did not play central midfield first half, they started in half central half wider positions that didn't make sense and Saiss was pretty much left to play midfield on his own. We then didn't have any wide players which left massive gaps in front of our full backs. When we actually had central midfielders and wingers with a striker we looked so much better but you can't afford to not play for 45 mins. As much as i like him, i'm not sure Zenga will be here after January as he doesn't seem the best tactical manager and it's costing us at the moment as the players are good enough.

Ikeme - No chance with the goals, did pretty well otherwise. Distribution is still poor

Doherty - Good cross for the goal and covered well a couple of times but struggles when left 1 on 1. Still much better at left back for me.

Iorfa - Untidy in possession, he seems to be getting worse on the ball but in general defended reasonably well. Can't head the ball.

Batth - Well the real Danny Batth is back. What he was doing for the first goal is beyond me, just head it and why does he let Brady shoot. He was tracking him and ends up too far away and doesn't close it down enough. Went upfront and the only 2 headers he won went straight to Norwich defenders and his challenge on the keeper was dreadful. Has to be dropped now.

CBJ - Started poorly and Murphy beat him a couple of times. Improved but was left isolated against 2 so many times with us having players playing in made up positions.

Saiss - He's class but he can't play on his own. Got the ball so often in the first half and just didn't have any one around him. 5 or 6 sublime passes which we didn't make the most of with poor finishing or a bad final decision. Going to be banned pretty soon after he picked up a silly booking which is disappointing.

Prince - No idea what his position was as i mentioned earlier but he didn't understand it and therefore was pretty anonymous.

Edwards - Same with Prince in the first half. When moved to a position he knew had an effect on the game. Awful still on the ball but his running of it was first class and his header superb. Shame he is so poor on the ball when his movement can be as good as it was second half.

Costa - Best player but Norwich stopped him by fouling him constantly, no one can keep up with him and we have to get the ball to him sooner but more good signs.

Teixeira - Was pretty poor to be honest but another who struggled because he didn't know where he was playing. Should have taken the shot left footed in the second half and needs to stop diving. Has to be why he doesn't get decisions when he's actually fouled.

Cavaleiro - Worked hard up top but for some reason we tried to play long ball to him. Much better when he played wide but needs to realise this isn't the French league and players won't let you have time and to do what you want.

SUBS

Coady- Some awful passes but actually played central midfield which helped until moved to right back when he was just recycling the ball as Norwich cleared.

Dicko - Great to see him back and rusty as expected. A fully fit Dicko shoots first time and we are level. Will only improve.

Mason - Didn't do a lot to be fair. No point bringing him on if you are going to just punt it long towards Batth who actually can't win a header.

I thought we deserved to lose as the formation and tactics in the first half were so bad and so was the defending for both goals, as good as a strike the second was. Zenga has to improve as these players are good enough and his tactics and no clear style of play aren't. He talks a good game and i like him but can't keep making errors. Villa is a massive game now as we are going to start to fall behind the top 10 if we don't pick up a win soon and the pressure will pile on Zenga, Fosun wanted challenging for play offs by xmas and we aren't going to be doing that with performances at Wigan and today.

Just to add the fans were fantastic again and stuck right with the lads, that atmosphere deserves a team winning games. Same can't be said for Norwich fans who sang for 2 minutes when 2-0 up and that was it. Away support at Molineux this season has been poor so far.

when is Dicko back?

Back