• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Leeds build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duck is Leicester Derby Nottingham for sure. And if it is Clayhead land too then maybe it’s pockets of the Midlands. Definitely not Yorkshire though!

A typical Yorkshire phonecall is a monotone Mick McCarthy, always ending with "ahh, right, ah, right, ah right bye". No ducks in sight

Source: my selfish grandparents moved from Addingham to Stourbridge

Yorkshire is often flower or petal but not duck.
Yeh I suppose working with them for a quarter of a century, visiting them twice a week and speaking to them numerous times a day I could have misheard :unsure:

Isnt it Chuck in Yorkshire ? Our Nan always used the phrase "Duck", she was Brummie born and bred.

Tbh they probably all get used all over the midlands and north....certainly my black country born and bread parents used duck, chuck, luv, flower, cock, chick and of course babb.
When I moved to Telford I heard 'jockey' used for the first time to address a boy or youth......never heard that anywhere else.
Must admit I like to hear local words, dialects and accents.....vive la difference ah kid

Yeh I suppose working with them for a quarter of a century, visiting them twice a week and speaking to them numerous times a day I could have misheard :unsure:
Unlike having relatives in Barnsley and Doncaster and working in Harrogate. Petal and flower were very ‘uddersfield which is close to east lancs so that fits😂😂
But we are talking last century to 2005 so sayings change!

Tbh they probably all get used all over the midlands and north....certainly my black country born and bread parents used duck, chuck, luv, flower, cock, chick and of course babb.
When I moved to Telford I heard 'jockey' used for the first time to address a boy or youth......never heard that anywhere else
As in "knob"?

Its almost as though people in Yorkshire, an area similar to the size of the Midlands, have different regional sayings - similar to, say, the Midlands. Weird.

When I moved to Telford I heard 'jockey' used for the first time to address a boy or youth......never heard that anywhere else.
Must admit I like to hear local words, dialects and accents.....vive la difference ah kid
Ive heard "horse people" say this to kids occasionally.

Lets hope tonight performance isnt crap, im still worried that we havent scored three goals at home this season though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back