• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (H) build up thread

Evans and Price would be a seriously slow middle when we don't have the ball.

Yeah because Edwards is rapid. They are much better on the ball and much better positionally off the ball so they don't have to be quick.

I am just looking for three points. I am beginning to think Lambert may have the number of a lot of this squad so while they keep playing and scoring and entertaining I will keep believing. Even better if they look solid doing it.

Watched Villa play Spurs today, they did ok to hold them at bay until Alli came on - helped by Janssen being fucking awful up front for Spurs - but they really lacked for cutting edge without Kodjia and Ayew. If Hutton plays then I fancy Cav to rip him to pieces.

Watched Villa play Spurs today, they did ok to hold them at bay until Alli came on - helped by Janssen being fucking awful up front for Spurs - but they really lacked for cutting edge without Kodjia and Ayew. If Hutton plays then I fancy Cav to rip him to pieces.

I'd fancy Saville to rip Hutton to pieces tbf.

I expect Jordan Rhodes and Lansbury to play against us.

Not sure about Rhodes - I mean Karanka obviously doesn't want him, but Bruce said last week that he was getting rid of Gestede because the squad was overloaded with forwards and he wanted to shift one out so he could bring in a defender or midfielder.

As they've got so many forwards, you'd have thought they would put one on today

Before kids they've only really got Gabby who's played 3 games in about a year and McCormack who Bruce doesn't fancy.After that it's kids until the AFCON is over.

I'm not sure Villas finances are that rosy. They had a huge debt though presumably Lerner wrote much of his off. But promotion is not looking a good bet this season so they have to have an eye on the money for next season.

Kozak as well but they aren't going to fork out on a forward (I don't think anyway) just to fill a gap for a month or so. When that pair come back they're back to being way top heavy. They have more pressing needs given that Hutton, Bacuna, Westwood, Baker, Gardner etc still get games.

Hopefully we can take advantage of two of their best players being unavailable.

Assuming fitness Deutsch's team with Hause for Batth for me. Let Williamson do the role to Hause that Butler did for Lescott. Edwards stays in for the experience element.

Same for me. Batth deserves a reality check IMO.

Constantly looked like they had 6 at the back to me.
Doubt they'll line up exactly like that against us though. Think Bruce won't be as defensive.

I think Matty James will be going to Villa by the sounds of it. Would have liked him here but another who's only just back from a long term injury so a risk.

Evans and Price would be a seriously slow middle when we don't have the ball.

The one thing we learn from the weekend is by having a good reader of the game defensively, Mike Williamson shows us that speed of mind is of greater importance for the defensive block.

Looking forward to coming up for this - thanks Darlo for the free ticket :)

Persanlly wouldn't change the defence, but will be surprised if Batth isn't brought back presumably for Hause as Williamson needs to stay in merely to tell the others what they are supposed to be doing & where to go.

Cav (if fit) back for Mason though the latter did OK on Saturday

Similar to others, I'll be frustrated if Lambert messes with a defence that performed so well against Stoke. I know Danny is our Captain, and Lambert might well feel his physical presence is what's required in a local derby, but Hause was all over Crouch at the weekend and he can do a job, physically, just as well as Batth - except Hause can actually play the ball out from the back as well.

Price/Evans with Bright ahead of them would be my favored midfield too.

Edwards & Batth certinly will be recalled plus possibly Coady - will be real pissed off if all this happens...........and then we lose !

Batth & Edwards - would have some understanding for (even though its not what I would do)

Coady back would be pointless - he's worse than those who started in CM (& if anyone comes in there then should be Price) & if its at RB then he's not really one - Iorfa is, but needed time out to get his mojo back. As he seems to have done that then absolutely no need to replace him

Back