• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Dry January

I had a Guinness 0.0 today with lunch as I was driving and you couldn't tell the difference. The Heineken 0.0 is also spot on.
The alcohol-free wines and prosecco are garbage. Nearly €10 for grape juice .
I did 7 weeks off alcohol when my wife was pregnant and I lost 1kg and felt better all around.

Tried that recently, it was good. Alcohol free beer back in the day was poor.
A far cry from the days of Kaliber! A bit like how it's far easier to be a vegetarian now than it was in say, 1994. And that's good.

All power to those that do it by the way, it's not for me but if it helps you then go ahead (and I can see how it would). It's just Bear made a crazy statement (again) and this time I was first in the queue to ask what planet he's on.

A far cry from the days of Kaliber! A bit like how it's far easier to be a vegetarian now than it was in say, 1994. And that's good.

All power to those that do it by the way, it's not for me but if it helps you then go ahead (and I can see how it would). It's just Bear made a crazy statement (again) and this time I was first in the queue to ask what planet he's on.
Kaliber wasn't just not very good, it was horrible.
The current ones don't taste much different to the alcoholic originals to me.

I did do a blind taste test on the guiness and although you could tell, there wasn’t much in it and it was a decent drink in its own right. I drank that for a little spell as an alternative to the amount of fizzy drinks I was consuming. But it didn’t last long as at over £1 a can it’s just a bit silly and just had to tell myself to stop being an idiot and just drink water instead.

On that parallel, I bought some Quorn mince around 2005 (must have been going cheap), tried it in a bolognese and hoyed the whole pan of it in the bin after a couple of mouthfuls. Genuinely appalling, like eating gravel.

When I moved in with Mrs DW (veggie) in 2021/22 I decided with a bit of trepidation to give it another go and taste-wise, I couldn't tell you the difference from the real thing. In fact, even if I had a free choice, I prefer cooking with it as there's no run off fat and it's quite obviously healthier.

I don't drive so having a 0% beer never really enters my thinking. But if I were in a pub and for whatever reason couldn't have alcohol, I'd much rather have a 0% Guinness than a soft drink, assuming it tasted nice.

Only ever had 2 x 0% beers on a match day and that was only because @Elephant Pyjamas clearly hates me as he got them for me and i was actually drinking that day.

Never think to have them and stick to soft drinks.

Last edited:
Tried Heineken 0.0 tasted ok but gave me the shits.
Worst hangover ever had was back in the 90s after a night drinking Kaliber.

Based on those 2 experiances, come to the conclusion, non alcoholic stuff doesn't agree with me.

Still working through Can't remember December.
Did try dry January once got to the 4th or 5th & thought fuck it.

Normally I love January because all the part timers fuck off and we get our pubs back (kinda the reverse of gyms I guess?).
Haven't come across anywhere with Guinness 0.0 in yet, except that might change with the Dry January lot.
If I'm not drinking it's usually diet Coke if I'm only having one, or lime & soda if I'm hanging about.

Only ever had 2 x 0% beers on a match day and that was only because @Elephant Pyjamas clearly hates me aahe got them for me and i was actually drinking that day.

Never think to have them and stick to soft drinks.
To do it once was odd, twice though!?!!! Should have been impossible.

Must admit I struggle with what to drink when I'm driving, just not keen on coke etc. I'd started drinking ginger beer, a throwback to my childhood and that was good, now I switch between that and Guiness 0.0

I settled on pints of Lime and Soda when I was not drinking. Quite like it now.

Some of the low to no alcohol stuff is pretty decent but if you're drinking it in a pub then they're going to fleece the absolute shit out of you. I think I paid £4.40 for a non alcoholic Bavaria (330ml) the last time I went dry whilst out which is practically obscene.

Brooklyn Special Effects is probably my favourite but you've practically no chance of a pub in Wolves having it in.

The wholesale prices of non-alcoholic and regular bottles aren't that different, pretty much just the duty taken off.

Back