• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Dry January

I don’t even drink enough any more to notice any difference so I’ll stick to drinking the bit I do through January.

Re: having a drink pre match, in all the many years I’ve been going to Molineux quite a few highlights of the day have been the couple of hours pre match.
I enjoy a drink, never been a piss head.

It's just Bear made a crazy statement (again) and this time I was first in the queue to ask what planet he's on.
I stand by it. If I'm meeting people pre-match or travelling with them then I don't care where we go. Pubs are just easier on a Sat afternoon because of the better atmosphere and they usually have the early kickoff on.

I remember a Liverpool evening game I went to with 3 other lads, none of them big drinkers, so we went to Maccies for something to eat before heading to the stadium. Not one of us was particularly interested in going into a rammed pub and paying £3-4 for a drink.

I'd happily go and have a quick drink if others were going and having a beer though. I don't mind. Different strokes for different folks I guess. My personal preference is to have a burger outside the ground and then sit in the stands and have a hot drink before kickoff.

With respect they all sound terrible options. McDonalds FFS.

It was more you seemingly failing to understand why anyone would prefer to have an alcoholic drink in any context, as if it's uncommon.

what you're drinking shouldn't make any difference to that.

Is clearly a ridiculous statement, as if it were in any way true then pubs wouldn't exist.

I perfectly understand how people enjoy a drink. The thing I don't get is that if alcohol isn't an option then their whole day is ruined and they're miserable.

But it clearly is an option on match day so that doesn’t really apply

I perfectly understand how people enjoy a drink. The thing I don't get is that if alcohol isn't an option then their whole day is ruined and they're miserable.
You could try and understand it instead of being judgemental?

You could try and understand it instead of being judgemental?
Not understanding something isn't being judgmental. And that wasn't my intention. Apologies to Punts (who I originally replied to) or anyone else who thought that was the case.

The thing is I've spent most of my life in pubs from the age of about 10 as my dad used to go to his local EVERY night without fail drinking Pedigree, until he was eventually too ill from cancer to get to the pub. I used to go with him from a young age to play pool on a Saturday night, which became a habit for me and I still go in pubs/clubs three times a week to play in local leagues.

I also worked at the breweries in Burton from the age of 16-25 where I'd see guys on the 2-10 or night shift necking bottles as they came off the production lines.

So I've known a few people who can't NOT have a drink when given the chance. Most of them without any real serious problems with alcohol, but they still do it at every opportunity and as much as possible. It's something I've never been able to get my head around, from watching my own father right up until today.

Addictions or serious compulsions have always been a bit alien to me, so again I apologise if I've come across as ignorant on the subject.

As an aside I saw that Guinness 0.0 advert last night, which really made me chuckle. I'll be trying it when I see it out there. With blackcurrant of course, I'm not a monster 😏

Not understanding something isn't being judgmental. And that wasn't my intention. Apologies to Punts (who I originally replied to) or anyone else who thought that was the case.

The thing is I've spent most of my life in pubs from the age of about 10 as my dad used to go to his local EVERY night without fail drinking Pedigree, until he was eventually too ill from cancer to get to the pub. I used to go with him from a young age to play pool on a Saturday night, which became a habit for me and I still go in pubs/clubs three times a week to play in local leagues.

I also worked at the breweries in Burton from the age of 16-25 where I'd see guys on the 2-10 or night shift necking bottles as they came off the production lines.

So I've known a few people who can't NOT have a drink when given the chance. Most of them without any real serious problems with alcohol, but they still do it at every opportunity and as much as possible. It's something I've never been able to get my head around, from watching my own father right up until today.

Addictions or serious compulsions have always been a bit alien to me, so again I apologise if I've come across as ignorant on the subject.
No worries Bear, no harm done.

I enjoyed the football (the purpose of the visit).

The bit I didn’t enjoy was being around people for 12 hours enjoying something I normally enjoy, but electively decided not to.

Going in places which have great offerings and plenty of them but I decide to have something that tastes of shit but costs just the same.

How id liken it to would be really enjoying rollercoasters, going all the way to Alton Towers paying for a ticket and queuing for rides only when you get to the front not get on the ride while all your mates do and then afterwards you see how much they enjoyed it.

Did I have a good day with friends and watch wolves win? Yes. Would it have been more enjoyable with a drink? Definitely.

I don’t go to the pub, outside of the football/meals out/ Xmas time I don’t really drink and rarely at home much other than a few on a Friday but that’s not a given. So I’m no alcoholic but there is definitely some addiction there in the same way I wouldn’t want to live with out chocolate, coffee, bacon, meat in general etc. and all the other things I enjoy. Electively deciding to not have those for no reason would be miserable.

I'm diabetic, so get my bloods done regularly.
Each time the nurse goes through a lengthy questionnaire...
" Do you take a drink?"
"Yes"
"How often"
"Every day"
"And how many drinks would you have each day?"
"About 2. I do the cooking so I'll have a pint of stout whilst I'm doing that (Beamish, never Guinness), then I'll have a pint in the evening. Almost never go to a pub. There really isn't one near me, then I'll probably have a whisky at the weekend."
"Well, you really ought to be having two alcohol free days a week."

Then when my blood test results came back, I asked, "What would be the number against my Liver reading that would cause you to say 'We have a serious problem here'"
"Around 68. What your result from your blood test?"
"21, up from 18"
So I enjoy a pint, prefer ales or complex craft ales (Thank fuck I don't live in Edinburgh!) Enjoy meeting someone and having a chat, and I'll have a drink whilst I'm doing it. Rather than 'I'm going out for a drink and and I'll talk to you whilst I'm doing it.
Can't honestly remember the last time I was pissed. Must be many years.

I'm diabetic, so get my bloods done regularly.
Each time the nurse goes through a lengthy questionnaire...
" Do you take a drink?"
"Yes"
"How often"
"Every day"
"And how many drinks would you have each day?"
"About 2. I do the cooking so I'll have a pint of stout whilst I'm doing that (Beamish, never Guinness), then I'll have a pint in the evening. Almost never go to a pub. There really isn't one near me, then I'll probably have a whisky at the weekend."
"Well, you really ought to be having two alcohol free days a week."

Then when my blood test results came back, I asked, "What would be the number against my Liver reading that would cause you to say 'We have a serious problem here'"
"Around 68. What your result from your blood test?"
"21, up from 18"
So I enjoy a pint, prefer ales or complex craft ales (Thank fuck I don't live in Edinburgh!) Enjoy meeting someone and having a chat, and I'll have a drink whilst I'm doing it. Rather than 'I'm going out for a drink and and I'll talk to you whilst I'm doing it.
Can't honestly remember the last time I was pissed. Must be many years.
That blows my theory about when you post clean out of the water.

Back