• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

England World Cup Squad

I'm surprised Sessegnon didn't get a call. And I think Solanke and Trent-Arnold can count themselves unlucky too.

Squad - at the minute.
GK: Butland, Pickford, Pope.
DEF: Walker, Trippier; Stones, Mee, Lascelles, Smalling; Rose, Bertrand.
MID: Dier, Cork, Alli, Winks, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling, Ox, Lingard.
FWD: Kane, Vardy, Rashford.

More than likely getting torn apart, but I'd be trying some form of 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 and just going for it:

-------------Butland------------
Walker - Stones - Smalling - Rose
---------------Dier--------------
---------Alli--------Wilshere-----
Sterling-------Kane-----Rashford

Hart is quite obviously a dreadful pick (one league game in how many months, and he conceded three, one of them being directly his fault), Livermore is a League One player who Southgate loves for some inexplicable reason but Young is the strangest one I think.

- Nearly 33
- Plays left back for his club - we have picked two other left backs
- We are committed to playing wingbacks - doubt he has played 20 games there in his career and his age is not conducive to that role
- Can't really defend
- Hasn't played further forward for club or country for years so we aren't going to deploy him there

Pick no-one or chuck the likes of Sessegnon in rather than shite like that FFS.

There was a lot of raving about how Young played against Liverpool, that is probably why he has been picked....

Gk - pope, butland, pickford
CBs- stones, tarkowski, Maguire, lascelles
RBS- walker, trippier
Lbs - Bertrand, rose
Cms - henderson, dier, cook, Wilshire, oxlade
Wingers- sterling, ???
Cams- lingard, alli
St - kane, rashford, Barry

Leading to my team of (following the Southgate 3 at the back base)

-------------------bertrand
----------maguire---------henderson-------lingard
Pope------stones-------------------------------------------kane
----------tarkowski-------wilshire-------------sterling
------------------------walker

Some justifications
- pope has most clean sheets
- Wilshire has played regularly and I feel his general style suits the system Southgate wants as i see him as a more technical version of Ndaiye
Lingard is a big game player, don't get games that are larger than the world cup
- 1 spare place for some attacking wildcard
(And on a personal preference note, I don't really like jones, smalling, Cahill etc - they've had their chance and fluffed it so let's move on)

Beginning to think the idea of boycotting the World Cup is a brilliant one...

The absolute fucking state of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-england-squad-world-cup-2018-jake-livermore

“Jake has been having a tough time at his club but it is very straightforward for me,” the England manager said. “We’ve played Jake in several matches and he’s done a job for the team. In November we left him out and he was just about to board a plane for a holiday when we called him back at the last moment, because we had had a few withdrawals. He left his family at the airport, came to join us and did really well against Brazil and Germany. I think that has to carry some weight when you are building the spirit and culture around your team.

“That doesn’t mean he is guaranteed to go to Russia in the summer, but I think it justifies him staying in our squad. We are looking to build a spirit, a togetherness, and I think that sort of example of sacrifice is important. I understand why there might be a bit of reaction to picking Jake but there is a specific reason why we have done it this time.”

I don't give a shit if he comes running when you whistle, he can't fucking play football. Awful management.

Wilshere hasn't travelled to Amsterdam. State of our CM without him.

I'd actually chuck Lallana in there, we need someone who can do something with the ball. Dier/Henderson is not the future.

No-one should be playing for their country because they can "do a job"

That squad looks absolutely bang average

Wilshere hasn't travelled to Amsterdam. State of our CM without him.

I'd actually chuck Lallana in there, we need someone who can do something with the ball. Dier/Henderson is not the future.

Agree. I have no problem with Dier there as he can pass the ball well enough but if we play him you need someone who can play between the lines and join the attack together. Wilshere would be ideal but he just breaks too easily.

We are going to be so boring to watch.

Agree. I have no problem with Dier there as he can pass the ball well enough but if we play him you need someone who can play between the lines and join the attack together. Wilshere would be ideal but he just breaks too easily.

We are going to be so boring to watch.

You mean 3 at the back with 2 defensive midfielders, one of which is about as creative as a BBC sitcom, isn't exciting you?

Two goals in our last four games. I wouldn't bet against that becoming two in six.

Southgate plays awful football.

I need to stop being surprised really. I hope Lewis Cook gets a chance now (he won’t)

Two goals in our last four games. I wouldn't bet against that becoming two in six.

Southgate plays awful football.

I don't understand why we are going down the route of playing such drab football when we have some very good creative talent and possibly the best out and out goal scorer on the planet.

I've raised the question before. Name me the Championship clubs (let alone Premier League) who would possibly view Gareth Southgate as an upgrade on their current manager. Probably count them on the fingers of one hand.

Well since Blues sacked Cotterill...

I don't understand why we are going down the route of playing such drab football when we have some very good creative talent and possibly the best out and out goal scorer on the planet.
True, you have some great talent going forward..livermore wtf?

Back