• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

Elliot Bennett and Harry Burgoyne let go by Shrewsbury

Jack Price will get the pre-season to earn himself a new contract.

Liam McAlinden missed a pen as Scunthorpe lost on pens to Boston (big grudge Lincs derby there) in the Conference North playoffs.

Feel sorry for Scunthorpe as for the second play off game running Boston win on penalties after a 0-0 score line. Scunthorpes attendances have been massive and their fans deserve to see football at a higher level.

There’s no telling how Vitinha would have gotten on here but it’s safe to say that he wouldn’t have developed the same as he has done in Paris.

Absolutely. I love Nuno and always will but there's no defending the indefensible, we had bloody ages post-Raul injury where we didn't create and he kept ignoring quality attacking players in Vitinha and MGW.

The only other three black marks against him for me would be:

- Weird subs vs Watford at Wembley, just neutered us for extra time, the game wasn't safe enough to do that
- Having a binary choice of Daniel Podence vs Dani Olmo and picking the wrong one
- Second string vs Southampton in the cup and then a full strength team vs Southampton in the league, come on now

Absolutely. I love Nuno and always will but there's no defending the indefensible, we had bloody ages post-Raul injury where we didn't create and he kept ignoring quality attacking players in Vitinha and MGW.

The only other three black marks against him for me would be:

- Weird subs vs Watford at Wembley, just neutered us for extra time, the game wasn't safe enough to do that
- Having a binary choice of Daniel Podence vs Dani Olmo and picking the wrong one
- Second string vs Southampton in the cup and then a full strength team vs Southampton in the league, come on now
Giving the nod on Fabio at the point when he still had some clout. A long way behind Shi and Mendes, but he could have stopped it rather than shrugged his shoulders

He looked like a midfielder without a proper position within said midfield at the time, IMO. Very similar to Morgan in that way.

Didn’t help that we didn’t play with any central attackers (aside from a striker obv) under Nuno.

If he’d had gone on to develop with us as he as at PSG, we would have probably only enjoyed watching him for a season or so, we would have cashed in big style.

He's obviously taken a while to adapt to PSG (not helped by the ridiculous way they were playing prior to this season) but he looked genuinely world class the very next season after he left us. He's an absolutely outrageous footballer and his talent has never been in doubt. I can understand if we were faced with a straight decision between RAN & Vitinha as to which loans we made permanent why we went for RAN as RAN has a tremendous upside as well but we should never have been in that position. The deals we initially negotiated for those 2 players were both bargains at the time, it's testament to how quickly we fucked ourselves over with our other business in that period that we felt we had to choose between the two.

Have to agree to disagree.

Pretty sure if you look back at the threads on here from when he was let go (not really released as a free agent, we got a sell on when he went to Sporting) not one single person called it out as a huge error.

He was very very deep for our Academy teams and just looked like a tidy but unexceptional footballer, and definitely had nothing like the goal output he's gone on to have.

These things happen, a parallel I suppose would be something like Man Utd letting Beardsley and Platt go. Looks stupid years on but at the time seemed fair enough.

Edit: this is Pote, for the record. I thought Vitinha was an absolute no brainer to sign and that was clearly an error.

Pretty sure if you look back at the threads on here from when he was let go (not really released as a free agent, we got a sell on when he went to Sporting) not one single person called it out as a huge error.

He was very very deep for our Academy teams and just looked like a tidy but unexceptional footballer, and definitely had nothing like the goal output he's gone on to have.

These things happen, a parallel I suppose would be something like Man Utd letting Beardsley and Platt go. Looks stupid years on but at the time seemed fair enough.

Edit: this is Pote, for the record. I thought Vitinha was an absolute no brainer to sign and that was clearly an error.
My issue with that one is why the hell was he playing in that position in the first place?

He moves to Famalição to play as an attacking midfielder, looks amazing and then explodes the season afterwards playing for Amorim's Sporting as an inside forward in a formation similar to Nuno's at Wolves.

Sporting have on occasion (usually due to injuries) played him as one of the central midfielders and he's looked exactly as you described, pretty safe but nothing special. I don't get how you can look at his qualities and play him anywhere other than in an attacking role.

Back