• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

It's Official!!: Europa League Thread

It's for others to decide what they want to
do, but if a couple of hundred+ away fans were in the home end at Molineux, particuarly in the South Bank I think we all know how it would end. If they have a similar mentality which reports suggest they will then it's not unreasonable to expect it to end the same way

It's for others to decide what they want to
do, but if a couple of hundred+ away fans were in the home end at Molineux, particuarly in the South Bank I think we all know how it would end. If they have a similar mentality which reports suggest they will then it's not unreasonable to expect it to end the same way

I don’t know. I’m not just going to start fighting people because they support a different team if they are sitting their behaving themselves causing no trouble. When we played Liverpool in the cup there were hundreds of Liverpool fans in home ends. I didn’t like it, and my frustration was limited to bitching about them being plastics etc.

Not sure that would have been such a problem if we’d been in a half empty Stadium. Was just annoying because the were sitting right next to me, the ground was full, and I don’t like glory hunting plastics. Still didn’t fight them though.

I would have thought going to an away game and having the nerve to sit in with the home fans would be the exact opposite of being a 'plastic'. What made you know they were not real fans ??

I would have thought going to an away game and having the nerve to sit in with the home fans would be the exact opposite of being a 'plastic'. What made you know they were not real fans ??

What? LOL. It was Liverpool at home in the cup (barely any take up from STH). They dont watch games any other way and they live in Wolverhampton... so go to that game as your only opportunity, buy a half an half scarf and spend the whole game filming Liverpool players on your phone and Liverpool fans. Textbook plastics.

Starting to get a little concerned now after buying tickets near the Wolves end.

Not sure how far a Spanish residency card and a decent level of Spanish is going to get me!

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely do the same if I hadn't already got a ticket and I knew I'd get away with it. It's just especially after what happened in Porto/Braga, if we start getting a reputation for things like this it's going to come back on us. UEFA aren't the type to mess around, they will ban us from taking away fans if they think that we're just going to cause trouble.

Hopefully this situation with a limited away end, half empty home end and a destination that a lot of Wolves fans can easily/really want to get to doesn't crop up again.

Think this is different though - Braga were fully on board with selling extra tickets to us, made sure the fans were segregated etc...there was no issue from that POV. The problems were pretty much exclusively with the authorities.

This sounds like it's very much going to be self-inflicted as people are ignoring all warnings and/or evidence to not buy in with the home supporters...if you're getting geoblocked by the team website it's a pretty clear indication you should not be buying these tickets.

Think this is different though - Braga were fully on board with selling extra tickets to us, made sure the fans were segregated etc...there was no issue from that POV. The problems were pretty much exclusively with the authorities.

This sounds like it's very much going to be self-inflicted as people are ignoring all warnings and/or evidence to not buy in with the home supporters...if you're getting geoblocked by the team website it's a pretty clear indication you should not be buying these tickets.
Agree that the situations are different but UEFA aren't exactly known for their fairness and goodwill towards football supporters are they?

If there's trouble at Espanyol they could easily say that Wolves fans have bought tickets in the home end twice, there's been violence at both games (could easily point towards the Tues/Weds night in Porto as well) and ban us from taking away fans or impose some other sanction on the club.

Not got mine yet.
There is some chat in Spanish Wolves about this.
Some are going some are not , my only issue is where is safest, I would like to be near Wolves fans, but at 56 would rather not be by their ultra's

Agree that the situations are different but UEFA aren't exactly known for their fairness and goodwill towards football supporters are they?

If there's trouble at Espanyol they could easily say that Wolves fans have bought tickets in the home end twice, there's been violence at both games (could easily point towards the Tues/Weds night in Porto as well) and ban us from taking away fans or impose some other sanction on the club.

While this is true, the club documented everything and did it all through the correct channels, so they have at least played by UEFA's rules. Braga were more than happy to sell so there's some culpability there. I don't remember there being any incidents at any of the other away games (Turin and Istanbul at least I don't think anything happened?) so it would be very premature to think there's a pattern.

But, agree...they're not the most rational.

Got a ticket for the home game this morning.

Bit annoying though as picked what looked the best available seat at 10am, went through the purchase and then got some error screen at the final step of approving payment so went back to see if that ticket was still showing available only to see a smattering of more appealing tickets now showing available instead. Tried to phone the ticket office about 15 times since to see if I can change my ticket to one of these others that are in a better spot and just get a message saying all lines are busy so I should call back later, what the fuck happened to phone queues?

Adam
@AdamLaLiga
The last two Espanyol home games now have seen violence outside the stadium.
Real Mallorca fans being attacked and ambushed before and after the game at the weekend is the latest incident.
It is clear there are serious problems at Espanyol with their ultras right now.

I'd advise all Wolves fans who travel to Barcelona to be careful in and around the stadium and in Cornella itself.
Also hearing that some Wolves fans have tickets in blocks close to one of the Espanyol ultra groups.
The Mossos have a big job on.

From a Mallorca fans blog
"I was at the game and most of the Mallorca fans (around 300) came from Barcelona university. These kids were doing a great job getting behind the team until Espanyol scored"
"Security at the ground was way over the top, and we were subjected to rigorous body searches. None of us had any hand luggage with the exception of the ladies who had their handbags well delved into by a po-faced jobsworth with a ring pull through his nostrils. One of my friends had her lipstick confiscated (unbelievable) and also something she described as her “anxiety mouth spray,” a very necessary item at the moment while watching Real Mallorca struggle !"

And there was 32000 there on saturday which seems to go against the "they only get 15000 turn up"

From what I read they had a promotion on which was like €5 tickets as it was a big relegation game for them

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely do the same if I hadn't already got a ticket and I knew I'd get away with it. It's just especially after what happened in Porto/Braga, if we start getting a reputation for things like this it's going to come back on us. UEFA aren't the type to mess around, they will ban us from taking away fans if they think that we're just going to cause trouble.

Hopefully this situation with a limited away end, half empty home end and a destination that a lot of Wolves fans can easily/really want to get to doesn't crop up again.
I bought mine a while ago and I just thought if the two of us keep our heads down (which we will, we're not the type to look for trouble) then it'd be fine. I suppose the Braga game made me complacent with how easy it was.

I hadn't considered the UEFA issue but you could well be right. Let's hope common sense prevails among Espanyol and the Wolves - probably a massive ask!

Can I assume that PGMOL is not involved with var in our European games? It means that a goal scored by/against us or any other English team might be deemed legal or illegal dependent on the competition being played in.

Amazingly enough it works fine in UEFA competitions. Occasionally they take a bit too long over decisions where you can watch 10 or 1,000 replays, the pictures will be the same, but you don't have our nonsense.

We already have that contradiction internally, City shouldn't have won the FA Cup last season. If VAR was available at Swansea (which was a Premier League ground a mere nine months or so before, so they had the facilities) then they'd have been knocked out in South Wales.

VAR will be in action for the knockout stages, but who will be administering it for the home ties? Will the clowns at Stockley Park be involved or is there a UEFA equivalent elsewhere?

VAR will be in action for the knockout stages, but who will be administering it for the home ties? Will the clowns at Stockley Park be involved or is there a UEFA equivalent elsewhere?
Our goons will be nowhere near it. It will be UEFA appointed officials and the proper rules of VAR used.

Especially as PGMOL sent two refs to UEFA school to get them accredited for Champs League / Europa matches (Coote and Madley) and they both failed the physical fitness test. We have no UEFA acceptable officials at the moment.

Back