• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

It's Official!!: Europa League Thread

Would it?

More for the �������������� v �������������� raising their game and kicking lumps.

We'd beat them easily so it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Apart from actually having to go to Kilmarnock which is a fucking hole.

Would you come with us to translate?

An absolutely stunning achievement to make Europe at the first time of asking.

Huge task on coaching staff now to properly manage the added load of games given they seem to want to keep the squad small.

An absolutely stunning achievement to make Europe at the first time of asking.

Huge task on coaching staff now to properly manage the added load of games given they seem to want to keep the squad small.

According to Jeff we're going to use the U23s rather than increase the squad much.

According to Jeff we're going to use the U23s rather than increase the squad much.
While I don't hate that idea surely if we get to the group stages more senior players would need to be involved?

If you can't trust the management now, you never will.

Chill, Winston.

So how does the list stand in terms of players who will actually be around for the first qualifier end of July?

Neves, Patricio & potentially Jota will be at Nations League.
Vinagre & MGW at U20 WC.
Raul at Gold Coast.

Think I read Boly will be away.

We’ll have a pretty thin squad for the opening qualifier (signings dependent) and we’ll have only just got back from China!

First qualifier is 25th July. Nations League doesn't even enter into it and nor does the U20 World Cup.

Boly won't be anywhere, he is French, he doesn't play for France?

Only players to worry about are Saiss and Raul.

Decent. That’ll teach me for reading Twitter.

If that's what Nuno wants then that's fine by me - 2 or 3 max incomings to bolster the squad (and preferably upgrade in their position) with very little outgoings (think that Costa is the only one I woulld offload if we get a sensible offer & possibly Ruddy if he doesn't want another season mainly sitting down - Norris is competant enough to cover there)

We have a number of the U23's who are on the fringes & if we need to use them in certain games then so be it.

I was in a football shop in Budapest yesterday and the person working there mentioned that Honved still have a chance of making the europa league...

Hi Lads, Rangers fan here with a love for football so I hope you don’t mind me joining your forum. Congrats on making the Europa league qualifiers. It’s honestly my favourite time of the season except 2017 when we got knocked out by Luxembourg minnows. You can find yourself visiting places you’ll never consider going. I was in Macedonia and Croatia (miles from the tourist hotspot) for the 1st and 2nd rounds last year and some top memories. Unfortunately work prevented me going to Maribor and UFA in the depths of Russia was a non starter.

Things for us are slightly different because you have the English seeding and will therefore be seeded every round I believe. You take the seeding ranking of your own club and your nation together. We lost our seeding with our troubles and the Scottish one isn’t great as you can imagine. Thankfully we got into the group stages this season.

Do we avoid ie tougher opposition in the earlier rounds ie German, Spanish, Italian or french teams?
Yes

I think we are seeded for being English
True
I was in a football shop in Budapest yesterday and the person working there mentioned that Honved still have a chance of making the europa league...

There’s usually a couple of teams from Budapest as options. I flew there and travelled to Osijek in Croatia and seen some fans of the Luxembourg team that knocked us out.

Lets not underestimate how difficult qualifying will be.

Burnley failed last year and before that West Ham went out two consecutive years to the same team in the same qualifying round.

We’ll be seeded for the second and third rounds, but chances are we won’t be for the playoff round.

Being unseeded in the playoff round makes it a real toss up between playing someone you really should still beat, and playing a true giant of European football. Burnley were knocked out by Olympiakos for example.

Qualifying for the group stages should be the aim, and would seriously put us on the map, but it is anything but a foregone conclusion.

Well quite a few of ours have European experience which I can't image many of Burnleys did. Hart if he was playing, Defour. Struggling to think of anyone else that would off.

Back