• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January Departures

Jamwolf

Reaction score
If 3 new players are to come in, 8 probably have to go. Most likely in order :

Borthwick Jackson, Gladon, Ola John, Wallace, Silvio, Evans on loan, Texeira, Ebanks Landell, and a surprise sale of either Iorfa, Hause or Mason.

Views ?

If 3 new players are to come in, 8 probably have to go. Most likely in order :

Borthwick Jackson, Gladon, Ola John, Wallace, Silvio, Evans on loan, Texeira, Ebanks Landell, and a surprise sale of either Iorfa, Hause or Mason.

Views ?

Silvio is crocked, he won't be going anywhere.

Ebanks-Landell may well go to Sheff U, but aside from that i can't see there being any interest in any of those players, as they aren't very good.

CBJ will be back at United for sure.

Silvio going nowhere as injured

Ola John the same.

Teixeira is going absolutely nowhere.

Gladon would have to be sold, and I can't see a lot of interest coming our way.

EEL will probably go if we get another CB in.

Wallace can go for sure if we can find a buyer.

Mason - injured so not likely for sale.

Out of interest, why 8 out for 3 in? Have you plucked that out of the air, or is there some substance to those numbers?

CBJ will be back at United for sure.

Silvio going nowhere as injured

Ola John the same.

Teixeira is going absolutely nowhere.

Gladon would have to be sold, and I can't see a lot of interest coming our way.

EEL will probably go if we get another CB in.

Wallace can go for sure if we can find a buyer.

Mason - injured so not likely for sale.

Out of interest, why 8 out for 3 in? Have you plucked that out of the air, or is there some substance to those numbers?

Lambert has already said that the squad is way too big. But he wants to get a few players in too. 8 and 3 just my guess.

Wolves squad:

Ikeme, Lonnergan; Iorfa, Batth, Stears, Hause, CBJ, Doherty, Williamson; Coady, Saiss, Price, Edwards, Saville, Tex, Prince, Evans; Costa, Cav, Wallace; Enobakhare, Dicko, Bod, Gladon, Mason

I have left out Graham, Zyro, Silvio and John as they are long term absentees and unavailable to train. I have generously included Willo and if you add Ronan in there that is still only 26 so just enough to put on an 11v11 game in training with a few changes if necessary and that assumes all 26 are fit (which Evans, Mason, Willo and Prince aren't). That squad is about the size I would expect from a club at Championship level so I have no idea what Lambert is talking about and it sounds like utter bollocks to me. Taking 8 out of that squad reduces us to 18 which is a matchday squad.

If it's on pure numbers then we have a squad of 30 which isn't too bloated for any team at this level. If we want to change that then selling 8 isn't unreasonably too many although I would think you would have to have at least 2 coming in to balance that.

I think the 8 to leave will be: Hause (sold), CBJ, Tex (both returned), Gladon (loan), Mason, Saville, Wallace (all sold) and Evans (loan).

Evans needs to be challenging for a place here rather than farmed out on loan again. If he isn't deemed good enough I'd sell him. He's been here for over 3 years now.

FWIW I think he is good enough and I'd like to see him get a place in the squad. Better than Saville or Coady using up a shirt.

Evans needs to be challenging for a place here rather than farmed out on loan again. If he isn't deemed good enough I'd sell him. He's been here for over 3 years now.

FWIW I think he is good enough and I'd like to see him get a place in the squad. Better than Saville or Coady using up a shirt.

I agree with you on Evans I just don't think he fits here for some reason other than football.

I expect Gladon and Wallace to go out on loan, we know CBJ is gone and I could see Mason leaving too if we bring in a striker. Would happily lose Saville too but Lambert seems to like him. I would say 5 max will leave but could well be fewer.

There seems absolutely no reason why Evans couldn't be used in the role Dave Edwards was trying to play at Forest, and with his range of passing bring an improvement to that area of the field. Much the same role as his last loan spell at Bradford.
But do you trust Paul Lambert and Kevin Thelwell to make the right call on that, quite frankly I dont.

Evans was playing regularly before his injury. I guess it depends on Lambert.

But if he isn't going to make it now, he won't make it here at all. And I do think he'd gauge interest from elsewhere.

Evans would definitely generate interest.

I just wouldn't want to sell him, personally.

If Wolves had genuine interest in Zach Clough you could see how a cash plus Lee Evans deal would tempt Phil Parkinson.

Are you thinking in the 10 role? If so, is he any better than Bright there and shouldn't we be giving him a chance first?

Are you thinking in the 10 role? If so, is he any better than Bright there and shouldn't we be giving him a chance first?

It's a bit like cleaning a room. You realise that one way or another you have all this crap that you can do without !

Wolves squad:

Ikeme, Lonnergan; Iorfa, Batth, Stears, Hause, CBJ, Doherty, Williamson; Coady, Saiss, Price, Edwards, Saville, Tex, Prince, Evans; Costa, Cav, Wallace; Enobakhare, Dicko, Bod, Gladon, Mason

I have left out Graham, Zyro, Silvio and John as they are long term absentees and unavailable to train. I have generously included Willo and if you add Ronan in there that is still only 26 so just enough to put on an 11v11 game in training with a few changes if necessary and that assumes all 26 are fit (which Evans, Mason, Willo and Prince aren't). That squad is about the size I would expect from a club at Championship level so I have no idea what Lambert is talking about and it sounds like utter bollocks to me. Taking 8 out of that squad reduces us to 18 which is a matchday squad.

If it's on pure numbers then we have a squad of 30 which isn't too bloated for any team at this level. If we want to change that then selling 8 isn't unreasonably too many although I would think you would have to have at least 2 coming in to balance that.

I think the 8 to leave will be: Hause (sold), CBJ, Tex (both returned), Gladon (loan), Mason, Saville, Wallace (all sold) and Evans (loan).

You're right, except I'd argue another reason the squad is considered too big is that it's shutting out youth players coming through - Fosun has repeatedly stated that they want to kick the academy on even further, and to do that you need to have two or three of those slots for younger players available every season. Bright's only had a look in because we're so light up top at the moment, even though he's absolutely deserved a shot. In midfield (both centrally and wide) we have far too many players competing without any of them looking indispensable right now. Saiss, Edwards, Oniangue, Price, and Coady all seem to be too useful to be got rid of, but can we honestly say that all of them, bar Saiss, are of the quality we need? Then you have Saville, who's looking every bit a lower-Championship journeyman, and Evans, who's perpetually on the edge of clicking into a quality player but never seems to manage it. Tex seems to be wide cover these days, too, which is a shame as he looks like he could make a quality number 10, but if he gets sent back it wouldn't be a shock.

I'd also say we can't really consider Graham, Zyro, and John completely out of the picture - Graham's getting close to full training again, Zyro's doing physical work (albeit light) for the next few months and will be taking part in some sessions with the other players I imagine, and John's not out for long either iirc.

If Silvio's out for four months then we'll never see him play again, mind. We'll do what we did with Mouyokolo, honour our contract and help him recuperate, but we always knew he could end up crocked, that's why he only signed a contract for a year. We should consider him one of eight players already "sold".

As for who I think will leave in January... CBJ back to Manchester United, EEB on a permanent to Sheffield United, and then it's harder to divine because just as much as we want to sell players, we need to find buyers. One thing I'm surprised at is the number of people saying they think Hause will be sold - as much as he should be nailing down a place at the age he's at now if he's to reach the potential the club think he has, I don't think they've given up on him just yet. Maybe at the end of the season.

No, I was looking at where the value was in the market should Lee Evans be available for transfer. Phil Parkinson more than any other manager knows Evans potential and could be tempted by such a deal.
Bolton are losing 600k a month and may have to cash in their best talent while Parkinson is still trying to cement a promotion challenge.

Evans would definitely generate interest.

I just wouldn't want to sell him, personally.

Evans would be a quality player for a League One club, and can be a very good player on his day for the lower end of the Championship. I don't know if he could play in the PL someday, but I think he's destined to become exactly the kind of "quality, experienced Championship player" that so many fans want us to sign. He only turned 22 in July, too, I think becoming a first team regular at such a young age when we were in the third division makes some people forget that he's still got a lot of developing to do.

We should be shifting on Saville and Coady before we sell him, imo.

I don't think Clough is worth Evans plus cash. Not at all.

You may well be right but do you think Paul Lambert and Kevin Thelwell look on Lee Evans in the same light. Doubtful.
Lambert would be more aware of Zack Clough and his proven qualities at Championship level.

Back