• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester (A) build up thread

I thought Johnny was great. Our error was to send way too much play down our right where Doherty would slow everything down. Add in the fact Costa wasn't at the races and we really did offer nothing down that side yet time and again that was where we'd send the ball.

I thought Johnny was great. Our error was to send way too much play down our right where Doherty would slow everything down. Add in the fact Costa wasn't at the races and we really did offer nothing down that side yet time and again that was where we'd send the ball.
I think part of that was Everton allowed us the space down that side because they knew we couldn't hurt them as long as they doubled up on Helder and cut off the easy pass into Moutinho. Made Doherty's only option to either cross the ball into a crowd of players or recycle the ball back to Bennett.

Up until they decided to bring all their players back and defend their lead Big Sam-style Everton's tactics were spot-on. Knew where to attack and how to shut down our attacking options effectively.

Defensively, Jonny was very good and also tidy when he had the ball, but when you’re playing formation with wing backs then you need your full back to overlap else your formation doesn’t work. I’d play Vinagre over him when we are playing the lesser teams.

I wouldn't. I would play Vinagre and swap the wing backs to get rid of the real weak link in Doherty.

I wouldn't. I would play Vinagre and swap the wing backs to get rid of the real weak link in Doherty.

Agree. I don’t think it will happen just yet but eventually that’s what I see happening. Until January maybe anyway if we go back in for Zinchenko or another wing back

Agreed. I've been saying for months that he will receive the ball in acres of space and then kill the pace of the attack by not moving the ball forwards quickly enough and ends up going back to whoever is at RCB or at best into the middle, yesterday was no different and it wasn't down to the opposition. I'm not berating him here either, he wasn't bad yesterday, but he doesn't offer what a wing back should and it's key to the way we play. I can't see him ever improving that side of his game either. Vinagre on the left and Jonny on the right for me, Vinagre looked quality when he came on yesterday and Jonny was very good throughout. He may even be more comfortable moving forwards on his stronger foot if he's on the right.

Zinchenko I wouldn’t bother with again now. Didn’t make the 18 again today clearly going to play a very very small part for City at best and rejected the opportunity to play a much more significant role here. Doesn’t create a great impression of the player.

Vinagre gave us an impetus that the others hadn't when he came on - he's inexperienced, but happier that he has Boly behind him as he's the most accomplished defender we have (even though he didn't show it to begin with & still appeared to playing in Championship mode in second gear to start with - it improved & no doubt Nuno will have something to say on Monday re weaknesses we had).

Suspect that we will still look to improve/deal with this area in the Jan window

Same team. Our biggest issue was that Costa was terrible, Jota not much better (very selfish not releasing the ball when a simple pass would have seen us threaten), Boly giving it alway on repeat and Neves and Joao being sloppy at times. Factor that in with Having no offensive subs and full backs being a bit negative/poor final ball we were a bit toothless. I don’t think any of those situations will happen all at the same time again, particularly when we will have more options on the bench, Jota and Boly to improve and Joao and Neves to be less slack.

The full backs might be something we struggle to improve but when the other pieces are better it will probably allow them to improve naturally

Jonny wasn't poor. I have no idea what game you were watching to think that.

Jonny did overlap a few times. But Jota was so crap that he kept losing the ball instead of getting it to him.

Jonny did overlap a few times. But Jota was so crap that he kept losing the ball instead of getting it to him.

Or Everton defended Jota and Costa really well? And Both Jota and Costa were playing a very well organised team at pace at the top level for the first time?

Deary me.

Everton were really well drilled, it's the first time we've come up against a team so organised. Costa had a bad day at the office and Jota was largely ineffectual (apart from capitalising on a mistake to earn a free kick and getting an opposition player sent off of course) but that was more down to Everton being decent than him being crap.

Or Everton defended Jota and Costa really well? And Both Jota and Costa were playing a very well organised team at pace at the top level for the first time?

Deary me.
Costa maybe, but Jota made the wrong decision too many times. Either holding on to the ball for too long, passing when he should have tried to get at people, or deciding to pass it back and try nothing. He simply had a poor game.

Leicester looked really good against Utd, I’d take a point all day long it’ll be another tough game for sure.

I'd consider playing Dendoncker/Saiss over João for this one to add some more bite away from home. Otherwise same team for me I think.

Hopefully an improved performance will see us collect another point. 1-1

Costa maybe, but Jota made the wrong decision too many times. Either holding on to the ball for too long, passing when he should have tried to get at people, or deciding to pass it back and try nothing. He simply had a poor game.

I don't think Jota was that poor, won the free kick and pressed really well. Boly fucked up two of his passes which led to Everton chances and whilst he wasn't perfect I felt he played ok. Certainly no worse than Costa or Doherty (who I thought was poor).

Back