• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester (A) build up thread

One more go with the same team before we make any changes, IMO. But I wouldn't shed too many tears if Cavaleiro or Traore got a start.

Jonny was fucking excellent yesterday, IMO. I also thought Doherty was fine without doing anything particularly well.

Doherty is never going to do anything particularly well. Jonny to the right and Vinagre to the left. Ruben deserves it after his cameo yesterday.

Doherty was fine yesterday. Unlucky to give the free kick away for the goal and although the second came from their left he wasn't to blame. He got forward well a few times too but quite often the pass to him was poor as it was either over hit, played behind him or fizzed in with it bouncing head height. He wasn't brilliant but think some fans are criticising him again for no particular reason. In saying that i wouldn't be too bothered if he did drop out and Jonny swapped sides with Vinagre playing.

Doherty was fine yesterday. Unlucky to give the free kick away for the goal and although the second came from their left he wasn't to blame. He got forward well a few times too but quite often the pass to him was poor as it was either over hit, played behind him or fizzed in with it bouncing head height. He wasn't brilliant but think some fans are criticising him again for no particular reason. In saying that i wouldn't be too bothered if he did drop out and Jonny swapped sides with Vinagre playing.

Watched a different player to me. I watched a player who clumsily gave away the free kick for the first goal and then got megged by Leighton Baines for the second. Apart from that his crossing and passing were generally shite.

He wasn't unlucky to give away the free kick, it was a stupid late foot out. I'm criticising him because he's never going to be the answer to RWB in our team in the Premier League, he's simply not good enough. I understand the vast majority of our fanbase think he's some kind of Messiah (check Russ Cockburn's Twitter timeline for starters) but I think he's an extremely limited footballer who will hold us back at worst and make things worse at best.

What do I know though, apparently we don't cross the ball. Well, Doherty doesn't anyway.

He wasn't unlucky to give away the free kick, it was a stupid late foot out. I'm criticising him because he's never going to be the answer to RWB in our team in the Premier League, he's simply not good enough. I understand the vast majority of our fanbase think he's some kind of Messiah (check Russ Cockburn's Twitter timeline for starters) but I think he's an extremely limited footballer who will hold us back at worst and make things worse at best.

What do I know though, apparently we don't cross the ball. Well, Doherty doesn't anyway.

How dare you criticise Doherty. It's unfair I tell you...

Watched a different player to me. I watched a player who clumsily gave away the free kick for the first goal and then got megged by Leighton Baines for the second. Apart from that his crossing and passing were generally shite.

Richarlison was just too good and quick for him on the free kick, he was getting back and tried to pinch the ball, think criticising him for that is a bit harsh imo and then Baines was clever with his pass on the second goal. Doc steps to block the pass down the line and Baines spotted the megs pass. Neves losing Richarlison, Bennett being so tight and Coady not closing down were all far worse than getting megged by a clever pass.

See what i've said to Johnny above. No idea with what you're talking about with regards to crossing the ball i never said we don't. I've also said many times we need to upgrade Doc but i also don't think he's as bad as you and others make out.

How dare you criticise Doherty. It's unfair I tell you...

Yeah because i've said this haven't i. Not said you can't criticise him but i think the criticism is over the top and maybe unfair yes. It's well known people will see what they want to see because of their preconceived ideas and that's fair enough but i'll say what i see rather than just go along with what i've said all along. If i'm wrong i'll admit it. We can and should upgrade at rwb, Doc wasn't that bad yesterday and like i said i wouldn't be too bothered if he didn't play next week as i think Jonny is better and Vinagre has the potential to be a very good lwb and won't look out of place.

I felt that a lot of the reason Doherty couldn't get forward much was because he actually stayed fairly disciplined in marking Richarlison. Obviously Richarlison is the better player on his day and so still got his goals.

I wouldn't blame Doherty for either of the goals. I would blame him for continually taking the momentum out of our attacks with either a poor touch, a loopy cross, or a needless layoff backwards

I wouldn't blame Doherty for either of the goals. I would blame him for continually taking the momentum out of our attacks with either a poor touch, a loopy cross, or a needless layoff backwards

He's definitely been guilty of that in the past but don't think he was completely to blame for that yesterday hence why i said i think he was fine. The balls out to him yesterday were not very good and when they were he was often isolated as Costa/Moutinho/Neves were not close enough to him.

See what i've said to Johnny above. No idea with what you're talking about with regards to crossing the ball i never said we don't. I've also said many times we need to upgrade Doc but i also don't think he's as bad as you and others make out.

My point about crossing wasn't aimed at you.

And for the last time, I've said many times that Doherty improved a lot last season (mainly down to his positional change) and he didn't play badly on Saturday. I said he's an extremely limited footballer who will hold us back. If we were to put him back to RB or LB then yes he's fucking dogshit. Having said that I'll argue all day long that he wasn't one of, if not the, most important players last season and he definitely won't be this season as Russ Cockburn has stated. That's just plain wrong.

Against Utd Leicester leftback looked good (Chilwell?) so I'd put Jonny over there as thought he looked very solid, tactically I can already see why Athletico were interested.

Tbf Richarlison did a brilliant job at getting back and defending against Doherty, every time he got the ball he had very little time and space to do anything. I thought both wing backs picked up good positions but didn’t do a lot with it which is something that needs to improve as they are pivotal to our play in this formation.

I have no idea who Ross Cockburn is, but if Doherty stays in the team he's correct he will be one of our most important players. The wing backs are pivotal to what we do, on Saturday, as with last season more went down the right than the left so on that side even more so. Whoever plays there will be one of our most important players by default, but that doesn't make them the best. If that remains Doherty I think it will limit our league position to lower mid table at best unless we alter our style.

Think you’re been a bit harsh on Doherty, I don’t think he had too bad a game.

I’d imagine it will be the same starting eleven, but hopefully have a stronger bench.

Doherty as I suspected in not up to it, based on what I saw Saturday.

We need a wing back who can cross accurately and Im afraid hes just not up to is.

Also, kept grappling with Richarleson and could have easily been booked again in 2nd half when he threw him to ground

So he did not kick out at REicharlesohn for the free kick for the 1st goal and did ne not get nutmegged for 2nd ?

Back