• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Revisiting old albums

Waiting for a replacement wind screen and popped on frizzle fry by Primus
I think I had the album on loop in my mid to late teen years.
Still a great album in my eyes!

Gun - Swagger
https://open.spotify.com/album/4otuhE6BoXmrxa12vW6deO

Ah, some fecker wandered off with my copy of gallus. My mate Matt was a big fan, and was dead excited when they announced a gig at the wulfrun, so we had to go. Got the album prior to the show.
Proper british rock and roll record really. testament to it being the height of brit pop that the album sold fairly well.

There's a fair few riffs on here, with Stand in Line and Find My Way building into Word Up - covering the cameo classic. A track still widely held as a great cover.
Don't say its over seems a bit cheesy now, but I loved it back in the day.
The rest of the album flows really well. Something Worthwhile/Losing You/Crying Over You are 3 solid rock tracks, with One reason and vicious heart winding things down well.
48 mins of nicely rockin. Made my head nod.

I haven't heard that album since I was about 16. I thought it was great back in the day - there have been many, many cover versions of Word Up but Gun's is the best.

Agreed one of the best covers in recent memory, and thank you LJ for posting a band I've heard of :)

Coming from a friend, you are trying :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjPTzPtxk4lrKzmAsUJ1B5G_GQkTaRxWO

Paul Weller - Stanley Road.
Released at pretty much the peak of britpop, this hasn't been played for a bit in my household.
Popped the cd on, and....
well at the risk of getting pelters, actually forgot it was on after about 3 bars of changingman. This album comes across as actually quite bland, MOR, AOR background music.
I actually forgot it was on. It certainly didn't grab me.

Gonna have another go at this thread.

REM - Automatic for the People
https://open.spotify.com/album/0BiNb8HYR4JvuxUa31Z58Q

God this album got played to death years ago. Find the River always cut out halfway through, as a 49 minute album didn't quite fit on an old c90 cassette!

Pinnacle album of their career for me. Drive is an intriguing opener as well as lead single. Dystopian, and dark, I never quite got this song, but listening to it now after a few years gap was invigorating. Try not to breathe and sidewinder sleeps tonite are bone fide classics that most bands are desperate to write.
Then everybody hurts. Sigh. Got played to death, especially with diana, and as a result I am sick to death of it. It is still a really well crafted song, but over exposure has harmed it so much for me.
An odd instrumental moves into a consistent 7 tracks on the bounce that are all ace. Sweetness follows is epic, and monty got a raw deal is, well raw. Ignoreland is a phenomenal tune - I always loved the punkiness of it. Star me kitten mellows things into Man On the Moon, again another really high calibre tune.
Nightswimming has also always been a phenomenal track, and has always vied with ignoreland for my favourite track off the album - i guess whichever one I choose shows the mood I am in at the time.
Owing to the above anecdote I always enjoy hearing the end of find the river, as it is almost new.

The album and lyrics are burned heavily into my mind. Popping this on during the storm was a proper tonic. So much of this album seems so simple, yet is done to such an exceptional standard.

Nice review, never got into REM for no reason in particular. Would like to give it a listen to again as I do like there songs

Gonna have another go at this thread.

REM - Automatic for the People
https://open.spotify.com/album/0BiNb8HYR4JvuxUa31Z58Q

God this album got played to death years ago. Find the River always cut out halfway through, as a 49 minute album didn't quite fit on an old c90 cassette!

Pinnacle album of their career for me. Drive is an intriguing opener as well as lead single. Dystopian, and dark, I never quite got this song, but listening to it now after a few years gap was invigorating. Try not to breathe and sidewinder sleeps tonite are bone fide classics that most bands are desperate to write.
Then everybody hurts. Sigh. Got played to death, especially with diana, and as a result I am sick to death of it. It is still a really well crafted song, but over exposure has harmed it so much for me.
An odd instrumental moves into a consistent 7 tracks on the bounce that are all ace. Sweetness follows is epic, and monty got a raw deal is, well raw. Ignoreland is a phenomenal tune - I always loved the punkiness of it. Star me kitten mellows things into Man On the Moon, again another really high calibre tune.
Nightswimming has also always been a phenomenal track, and has always vied with ignoreland for my favourite track off the album - i guess whichever one I choose shows the mood I am in at the time.
Owing to the above anecdote I always enjoy hearing the end of find the river, as it is almost new.

The album and lyrics are burned heavily into my mind. Popping this on during the storm was a proper tonic. So much of this album seems so simple, yet is done to such an exceptional standard.
I listened to Automatic for the People a couple of weeks ago. Really good album, takes me back to seeing them play at Glastonbury whilst thigh high in mud!

AFTP will forever remain one of my favourite albums.

Pointless trivia - The album name comes from a Diner in Georgia they always used, called Weaver D's. The owner apparently says or did say "That's automatic for the people" when taking orders.

Diner is still there and was on my list of places to visit in Georgia but the USA Road Trip was postponed back in May.

Find the River is one of my top 5 REM tracks.

Hot take: New Adventures in Hi-Fi is the better album...

AFTP is a fabulous album.

My better half doesn't have many faults, but she hates REM which I find unfathomable.

I struggle to listen to Automatic for the People as it reminds me so much of my mum, especially Everybody Hurts. I have to be in the right frame if mind to listen to it.

I don't tend to listen to many of their other albums either but I love Monster. I keep meaning to listen to some of their early stuff but never get around to it.

On the subject of REM, I revisted New Adventures in HiFi a while ago. I think it was probably the last REM album I bought as soon as it came out and I kind of forgot about it, having considered them past their peak by then. But actually it's really bloody good with a load of tracks that I'd now consider classic REM. Electrolite, New Test Leper and especially E-Bow the Letter would make any REM Best Of playlist that I put together.

Still my biggest "never saw them live" regret.

Still my biggest "never saw them live" regret.

Will always be gutted I never saw them as the 4 piece but did see them without Bill Berry at the Albert Hall and the Millennium Stadium

I remember getting Automatic For The People on cassette for Christmas. Nice yellow tape, from what I remember.

I remember getting Automatic For The People on cassette for Christmas. Nice yellow tape, from what I remember.

Yep

P0.jpg

other than a couple singles I’ve never heard AFTP, don’t think I liked out of time so gave up at that point. I think there’s a limit to how much of any band you really need to hear.

Back