• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Revisiting old albums

I've been revisiting some classy '80s pop in the last few days. The likes of Talk Talk, Prefab Sprout and The The.

Not stuff I was particularly into at the time but have grew to love later. Listening now, it's very good stuff. Quality songwriting and often quite experimental.

Good choices.
Soul mining/Infected and Swoon were some of my musical teenage loves. Outside the chart stuff I listened to Talk Talk a bit later.

Good choices.
Soul mining/Infected and Swoon were some of my musical teenage loves. Outside the chart stuff I listened to Talk Talk a bit later.

I've had Soul Mining on this morning. It's excellent. The sort of thing I'm appreciating more in my old age.

I've had Soul Mining on this morning. It's excellent. The sort of thing I'm appreciating more in my old age.

it's the first album i bought. the lyrics are great - they gave a free 12" of perfect with it.

was the prefab sprout swoon or you went with something later. very talented guy. probably underappreciated.

Carter USM - 1992 The Love Album

https://open.spotify.com/album/3CFjJgFTvyADHYLIYCdWEP

Always thought Carter were a bit under-rated myself. Lyrically, they've got some cracking songs, and brilliant puns within them.
They open with an instrumental, moving into is wrestling fixed with typical whimsey. The only living boy in new cross hit me like a hammer when I first heard it, and it still does that today. Suppose you gave a funeral and england fly into Do Re Me So Far So Good, and you realise that though fun, this is also an angry record. After the watershed/look mum no hands/(and especially) while you were out confirm the theme. Skywest and crooked wonders where we will go from here, and the impossible dream (tainted to many for obvs reasons) is an outro of hope and optimism.

Really good punky album this.

I only know one Carter USM song and that's The Only Living Boy In New Cross. Which is great.

I loved their Worry Bomb album when I was a teenager . I haven't heard it for about 20 years though, will have to revisit it.

tim's twitter thingy doing the triffids - born sandy devotional tomorrow
just a great album - the last few tracks on it are killers
opens with this

Carter USM - 1992 The Love Album

https://open.spotify.com/album/3CFjJgFTvyADHYLIYCdWEP

Always thought Carter were a bit under-rated myself. Lyrically, they've got some cracking songs, and brilliant puns within them.
They open with an instrumental, moving into is wrestling fixed with typical whimsey. The only living boy in new cross hit me like a hammer when I first heard it, and it still does that today. Suppose you gave a funeral and england fly into Do Re Me So Far So Good, and you realise that though fun, this is also an angry record. After the watershed/look mum no hands/(and especially) while you were out confirm the theme. Skywest and crooked wonders where we will go from here, and the impossible dream (tainted to many for obvs reasons) is an outro of hope and optimism.

Really good punky album this.

Saw Carter in Derby around that time. Really enjoyable gig.

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)

This album was a huge part of my student days. The production by Terry Date was like being kicked in the face for the entire 50 odd minutes, although on listening again now I still find it a bit disappointing that there is a lack of backing guitar tracks to most of Dimebag’s solos. The difference with that included for Mouth for War massively improves everything and raises it to epic, and then it feels like it is missing later in the album.

Mouth for War is metal saying hello 1990s the Black Album didn’t happen! It’s fierce heavy and harsh. Then you have the rest of side one. A New Level. Walk. Fucking Hostile. This Love. Five simply brutal and brilliant tracks that stand the test of time easily. Listening now the later tracks on the album aren’t quite as punchy. Still excellent but that first twenty minutes is still magnificence.

Sheriff Fatman was an anthem when I was a student. I saw them at the below gig in '93. They didn't go down well, but it wasn't really their audience.
e30fedf12602093996ceeffc20216d4b.jpg

Sherrif Fatman was an anthem when I was a student. I saw them at the below gig in '93. They didn't go down well, but it wasn't really their audience.
e30fedf12602093996ceeffc20216d4b.jpg

sheriff fatman and the 101 damnations album were fun. i don't recall that much about them musically after that though i remember they were pretty popular.

interesting line up. i have some catherine wheel but i've not listened to it in many many years - decades! a shoegazey relative of bruce dickinson

Carter were apparently named after George Carter from the Sweeney,today's fun fact to whip your friends up into a coma

sheriff fatman and the 101 damnations album were fun. i don't recall that much about them musically after that though i remember they were pretty popular.

interesting line up. i have some catherine wheel but i've not listened to it in many many years - decades! a shoegazey relative of bruce dickinson
It was a fundraiser to try and get XFM a license when the airwaves were opening up. It failed at that point. I went for Cure, but i must have seen The Frank & Walters unintentionally half a dozen times. Them and The High seemed to support everyone around that time.

fecking youtube is a PITA (or it is user error, I will leave you to decide...) so spotify it is:
https://open.spotify.com/album/7JCidY6IL2ddmIKQaglXr2

Dreadzone - Second Light.

Little |Britain was everywhere for a while wasn't it?
A set of mates when I was at uni used to listen to this a lot. Their house was great (back then, not sure I'd be venturing into such places now, but that's another story). Never quite got into the opener, but track 3 (a canterbury tale) has always been a track I have loved. Indeed, the remainder of the album is a pretty exquisite listen. Captain dread through th shining path is a delight, with a suitably climactic tune to finish off with.

Broken - Nine Inch Nails

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvsYXqtYjMYdJnEFUVg_0b1SV0E6bqi64

OK, so technically an EP, but the transition from pretty hate machine to this was really something. Instrumental opener splurges into Wish. Last is a proper wall of guitar sound. Further instrumental, then Happiness in Slavery assaults the ears. Gave up rounds off the EP, albeit (You're So) Physical and Suck being "hidden bonus tracks".

This is fucking heavy. The attention to detail with the sound is immense, and this is a very attention grabbing 45 minutes. Last as a song in itself was always a favourite, but the hidden tracks are fucking superb.

The EP really has a groove to it. For me it highlights how some of Reznors stuff can become a bit over done and self obsessed. This feels very raw, and compact, and is all the better for it.

Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By...

https://open.spotify.com/album/5smgSxCc73WBohUWoCt0uv

Sort of ambient shoegaze, via synths.
Heard the opening track (knuddelmaus) on a jelly mix. That track hooked me, and I ended up with a couple of Schnauss's albums.

Very nice, works well as background music. Found it ideal to aid me waking up this morning.
6 tracks on rather gentle stuff.

Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By...

https://open.spotify.com/album/5smgSxCc73WBohUWoCt0uv

Sort of ambient shoegaze, via synths.
Heard the opening track (knuddelmaus) on a jelly mix. That track hooked me, and I ended up with a couple of Schnauss's albums.

Very nice, works well as background music. Found it ideal to aid me waking up this morning.
6 tracks on rather gentle stuff.

He's a genius IMO. All his albums are great for listening to while working.

I'm currently revisiting Blue Valentine by Tom Waits after I dialled into Andre's radio show for a bit.

Back