• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Revisiting old albums

not even a youtube or mixcloud link available for this one:
https://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Souter-Abduction-Mix/release/176491

Listened to this a lot on headphones, because as a yout, I had a personal stereo on all the time. This was an early trance/house mix that came out. Not really sure why I bought it, but played it a lot. track selection is really good on the whole, and when The Age Of Love came on I was transported back in time. Honourable mention also for Vernons Wonderland.
Another summer album, but really enjoyed listening to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4sNWl4VZmM&list=PLVPGzOHIIgz9alXShPJQrCNN0zM345HIR&index=1

Bid Audio Dynamite - This Is Big Audio Dynamite

one of those albums bought because one song was awesome. Loved E=MC2 as a kid, and it stayed with me til I started listening to music properly. Didn't know who Mick Jones was, but always loved that tune.
This doesn't sound like an 80s album tbh, elements of it are clearly low tech, but the feel and thinking, and use of samples is cleverly done. Medicine Show and Sony are great tracks.
43 minutes of good listening. Bit top heavy, in the best tracks are at the beginning of the album. But has aged better than most 80s stuff...
I still knew most of the words to E=MC2 too, which was awesome!

https://open.spotify.com/album/6CAxtEPd8QesIfCp76Wuqt

Death in Vegas - The Contino Sessions

another garnered from the days of listening to the breezeblock i think. Contino Sessions was DIVs 2nd album. Loads of differing styles, with Jim Reid, Bobby Gillespie, and Iggy Pop providing vocals for 3 tracks.
Opens with Dot Allison guesting on the familiar Dirge. Soul Auctioneer never worked that well for me, as bobby gillespies vocal doesn't really work (i'm not a fan of bobby g personally). Death Threat is nicely sinister, and the aptly titled Flying takes you on a trip. Aisha is the best known track, and rocks like a big un. The final 4 tracks blend fantastically into a wonderful ending on Neptune City. Even Jim Reid (another vocalist I don't really have time for) can't spoil it.

Properly good album this one. Much better than their current attempts at types of drone music really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNFvM5XqF8g&list=PLlIAxrf_DKDkoaDn1pHnfuTS-C8mlCGG-
Lenny Kravitz - Mama Said

Clearly I am going through a series of summery albums. This one was from my schooldays...
Sure it was a recommendation from someone, no idea who. That said, got into this just before he released Are you gonna go my way.
Lots of lazy hendrix comparisons at the time that really missed what kravtiz was about.
Side one is a really nice mellow/cruchy/mellow vibe. There is a funk, a groove and a chilled factor to fields of joy/stand by my woman/it ain't over til its over.
Side two surprised me. It is more eclectic than I remember, with elements of psychedelia mixed in.
Some really good guitar licks around this album too by the way. Bit of a slow burner, but a good listen.

I think this thread should be renamed 'Lemonjelly's back catalogue reminiscences'

i just talk to myself on this thread and the gardening thread.
shout a bit in the annoy and politics threads.

Oh god. I'm that weirdo sitting on their own in the pub, ain't I?

(again...)

i read them matey, don't you worry :)

I like your posts in here LJ. You got me listening to Broken by NIN and it's great.I love The Downward Spiral but for some bizarre reason I have never listened to anything else by them.

I've been re-listening to Some Friendly by The Charlatans. It's a great album.

Sheriff Fatman was an anthem when I was a student. I saw them at the below gig in '93. They didn't go down well, but it wasn't really their audience.
e30fedf12602093996ceeffc20216d4b.jpg

Catherine Wheel, jesus. Only heard of them about 5 years ago and really like their stuff

Appreciate the feedback fellas!
To be honest, I've really enjoyed SLA's suggestion, and working from home has allowed me time to listen to lots of stuff.
First thing I did when sent home was set up the cd player.

Todays selection - Price, The Gold Experience

https://open.spotify.com/album/7JdnQ7zCfqETcLgS94d3ks

I have 4 prince albums. 2010 and mother earth are a bit "meh", I need to relisten to them. The other two are symbol, and this one. Symbol has had a couple of listens, but this album is so different from the other 3 for me.
Firstly, it is sexy and dirty. p control and 319 should be sufficient evidence, but the album oozes sexiness in so many ways.
It is also completely funk tastic. There is a thread through the album (endorphomachine, we march) of a hard sound.
The album also shows off Prince's phenomenal guitar abilities (dolphin for example).

I bopped around the room all morning listening to this. I feel that I have neglected it by not listening to it for so long.

There may well be others here who are prince fans. If so, what albums do you recommend exploring by him?

T-Dan, Nine Inch Nails early output is superb. Pretty Hate Machine is a really good teenage angsty album. Broken rules (Fixed, it's remixed version is also really good). Downward Spiral and The Fragile are both great, if a little self indulgent on occasion.

Their later stuff is still good. Everything up to Ghosts parts i-iv is pretty good.

The Hendrix comparisons aren't lazy. They are obvious.

disagree. It is lazy. Mixed race man with guitar reminds me of...the most obvious comparison.

My instinct when I posted was that a more apt comparison would potentially have been Prince (which may have affected todays listening choice), owing to the multi-instrumentalist abilities of them both, as well as the varied styles.

Hendrix was merely a case of being another non white rock dude. imo of course.

He peaked very early, and there was a lot of hype around him he failed to match.
I've never heard Let Love Rule, but it is supposed to be decent.
Are You Gonna Go My Way was a decent single, but weak album. I gave up after.

did source tag codes - trail of dead for a second time on tim's listening party thingy. the band screwed up their attendance first time round

a great album, plenty of loud fair bit of quiet and interesting interludes. it still rocks

i missed the dreamtime - cult night

soul mining - the the got delayed as matt johnson was in hospital. posted a nasty photo on twitter of his wound from a throat op. ick!

still no date for a chameleons album night. not sure what's happening and maybe past acrimony between band members has scuppered it.

did source tag codes - trail of dead for a second time on tim's listening party thingy. the band screwed up their attendance first time round
Have you just activated a Russian sleeper cell as that sentence makes no sense whatsoever :)

Back