• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Stop getting hot drinks wrong!!

Coffee with oat milk is the best way to have it, imo.

Used to love a flat white, but most coffee places have ruined them and put way too much milk in them and turn them into a slightly smaller Cappuccino. IMO, they should be a double shot of espresso and just a small amount of steamed milk. No froth. And no more liquid than can fit in a takeaway espresso cup. Oh, and there should be no such thing as a large, or medium flat white. It should just be the one size.

I always go for a latte if I'm out and about and want one. Sometimes a Caramel Latte if I'm feeling adventurous.

I always go for a latte if I'm out and about and want one. Sometimes a Caramel Latte if I'm feeling adventurous.
I discovered cinnamon lattes a few months ago having been a derider of weird coffee concoctions. It's a nice occasional alternative to my preferred black or white bog standard coffee.

Strangely, growing up we never had coffee. Coffee was pretty rare back in the 50s and I can remember the only 'coffee' I saw was called 'Camp'. It was actually a syrupy liquid mixed with hot water or hot milk.

Screenshot_20231106_110048_Google.jpg

My parents drank tea, although my dad kept a bottle of Camp coffee in the cupboard which he had periodically, bloody awful stuff.
I never drank tea but started drinking coffee in my mid teens, mainly because my older brother did.

I have always found coffee too bitter for my tastebuds. To even be able to drink it I have to load in a vast amount of sugar.

I blame my palate rather than the humble coffee bean. I think I have been in a Starbucks about once so there are benefits.

Strangely I don’t mind coffee ice cream and have successfully used coffee in cookery and liked the taste there. Sometimes my tastebuds are odd. Not Bear levels of Monster Raving Loony but definitely a bit odd.

I find coffee a bit bitter too. Probably why I prefer lattes as the milk cuts through the bitterness.

they should be a double shot of espresso and just a small amount of steamed milk. No froth. And no more liquid than can fit in a takeaway espresso cup.

Needs Alan’s confirmation but think that’s a “cortado”, which if I was to have milk in a coffee, would be the way I go.

Needs Alan’s confirmation but think that’s a “cortado”, which if I was to have milk in a coffee, would be the way I go.
Cortado is a roughly equal amount of coffee and warmed milk IIRC.

Roughly (and varies by geography):

Cortado = 2 parts espresso, 1 part steamed milk, 1 part foam

Cortadito = 2 parts espresso, 2 parts steamed milk, no foam

Strangely, growing up we never had coffee. Coffee was pretty rare back in the 50s and I can remember the only 'coffee' I saw was called 'Camp'. It was actually a syrupy liquid mixed with hot water or hot milk.

View attachment 8736
Played in a couple of table tennis tournaments as a kid that were sponsored by iced camp coffee (mid 80's)

If your coffee is bitter, you're making it wrong

A bit more milk than that, but it should be way less than a cappuccino.

Theoretically, the difference between a flat white and a cappuccino should be the texture of the milk foam, but it takes a very good barista to nail that difference consistently. I certainly was never able to get good at cappuccino foam full-stop. Flat whites are also one of those that gets wildly different with geography. An Australian flat white is its own thing entirely, for example.

Of course, we had fools coming in asking for cappuccinos made from heavy cream, so the shame is on them, really.

You get less quantity if you order a flat white compared to a cappuccino, not sure why?

Always have a carajillo while on holiday in Lanzarote .

You get less quantity if you order a flat white compared to a cappuccino, not sure why?
Should roughly even out; you'd start with the same amount of milk in the steaming pitcher, but you "stretch" the milk in a cappuccino more, so you end up with greater volume at the end.

Back