• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

what exactly did Neto do?????

Took ages to come off when subbed then said something to Nuno who gave him the stink eye and then pushed him into the dugout. He'll have a minor bollocking at some point I'm sure.

Thought the kids did ok, pity Cutrone missed his 1 on 1 , Ruddy didn't cover himself in glory. Although Villa dominated possession, thought we defended quite well for the most part, (2 goals aside).
Not sure why Neto has started getting pelters, thought he did well given our lack of time on the ball, couple of excellent runs and some tidy play....however he is in the shit with Nuno.....thought he was gunna belt him one

Unpopular opinion - I don't blame ruddy for the goals. The first one the forward is about 8 yards out in front of goal.

The second comes through some players and he doesn't really get time to react

no complaints on a 2-1 defeat - our u23’s against their reserves. Good match experience for our youngsters. Impressed with Perry and a goal for Cutrone, and no injuries to any of our squad players.

Roll on arsenal at the weekend now.

Ruddy should've saved first goal, better defending from the set piece on the 2nd one, Jordao (i think it was him) has to clear it, can't let the ball go past you from there. Always going to be a tough one for the youngsters, Vallejo looked decent with his long passing range, looks better suited to the sweeper role more than playing on the left/right of a back three. Kids can keep their head held high, hopefully will see a lot more of them in the coming years.

You think the manager wanted to lose the game?

No, of course not. I could have phrased it better. It was obvious that this wasn't a top priority (rightly so, tbf). I thought the young lads gave it a fair crack. Most of them were alright, given the circumstances - I think that's where my frustration with the likes of Cutrone & Ruddy (and even Neto at a push - I know he's only young but he's been involved with the first team a few times now) as the more experienced players comes from.

Cutrone, to me, has an element of last seasons Traore about him on the frustration front. He'll do something brilliant, like pull a ball out of the air from 40 yards - and then passes it straight to a Villa player. Or he'll do a lovely little turn and then the ball will bounce off his shin out of play. There's a decent player in there, but do you change the way the whole team plays to fit in with his style? I don't think so.

Jordao looked good on the ball and was spreading some lovely passes around. Fairly solid in the challenge too - think we've got a good player on our hands there, hopefully.

We played our youth team bar a couple of fringe players, none of them looked out of their depth, but we were as could be expected comfortably second best against far more experienced opposition. We obviously struggled to control the midfield in any sort of way and thougt our CMs looked very isolated at times. An extra man in midfield would perhaps have made it less one way traffic and allowed our WBs to push higher at times. Could really have used an older head in midfield but I guess we are a not short on numbers atm.

The worry I have with Cutrone is - I think his goal is the kind of service he thrives on and we rarely create clear cut chances like that in league games, from what I've seen so far of him I don't think he really suits how we play

29% possession. :icon_lol:

The worry I have with Cutrone is - I think his goal is the kind of service he thrives on and we rarely create clear cut chances like that in league games, from what I've seen so far of him I don't think he really suits how we play
Paddy made a good point that Raul didn't come in as natural fit. Obviously he had a lot more game time to adapt than Cutrone has or will have, but hopefully he can adjust as well over time. I see his role as being instead of rather than with Jimenez, but tonight he didn't have the supporting cast.

Unpopular opinion - I don't blame ruddy for the goals. The first one the forward is about 8 yards out in front of goal.

The second comes through some players and he doesn't really get time to react
Very unpopular that! Right in front of me for the 1st goal. No way should he concede that goal!

2nd one I need to see again (other end of the pitch) but didn't it go through his legs?

One positive tonight was Vallejo, 3 or 4 raking diagonals and defended ok, kept it simple....no rickets as far as I remember

Very unpopular that! Right in front of me for the 1st goal. No way should he concede that goal!

2nd one I need to see again (other end of the pitch) but didn't it go through his legs?

Someone being clean through 8 yards out, I think it's harsh to blame ruddy. It's close to his foot but in that area that's hard for a keeper to get to. The defence is more to blame for not being alive to the danger

https://streamja.com/BA69

The young boys did alright. The supposedly experienced player in goals let them all down.

First time I've seen it. Has to have a stronger right hand. Vinagre is ball watching though

Ruddy's last season with us for sure. He's becoming too slow to get down and is trying to make saves with his legs when he shouldn't.

Sanderson and Jordao did themselves proud, both should be decent options as we go on (Dion as RCH though). Nice for Cutrone to get his goal, shame he couldn't have made it a brace. Feeding off scraps all night, new foreign player asked to play with largely an U23 team on a cold night - plenty would have downed tools. He didn't.

Benno looks ready to play now in proper first team games which is a boost.

Vallejo - still a couple of ropy moments but better than any of his previous outings. Is it enough, probably no but small steps.

Neto should have gone down in his last bit of action, would have been a pen.

Could we have won with the inclusion of 2-3 first teamers? Quite possibly. Villa didn't really play particularly well. But never mind. It's only just over an hour since full time and I already don't care about this result.

I did see the Neto penalty shout. I thought it should have been given, and like DW says if he goes down a bit easier once he's past him, then it probably gets given.

Little nod to the absolute fucking dickheads breaking seats at the back of the upper tier right at the end. Well done, I bet your Mom is really proud of you.

Back