• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 QPR: The Verdict

Meeting a couple of Rangers fans after the game they couldn't believe how they won the game - coming off the back of 6 hopeless games without a win and with a scratch back four they felt they should have been dead and buried by half time. The fact that we were unable to cross the ball or shoot either side of their keeper was a source of much amusement. Sitting in the Stan Culls, I was shocked at how poor Ikeme's kicking was - there is no point belting it straight down the middle of the park to Dicko or Bright who are a good foot shorter than the average centre back. Add this to his aberration for the second goal and the miserable showing of the back 4 - it's really time to add a leader and competent defenders. If Lambert is talking about not being sentimental in the transfer window, then sadly it's curtains for Batth who is just not up to the task.

I was shocked at how poor Ikeme's kicking was - there is no point belting it straight down the middle of the park to Dicko or Bright who are a good foot shorter than the average centre back.
It's better than his other offering, which is to kick it straight out of play for a throw in. Agree not good enough.

The first goal we conceded I can forgive, it wasn't great from Price and Syllabus managed to get half a yard on Batth but it was well taken.

The second goal was absolutely shocking. It was dreadful defending and appalling goalkeeping. Ikeme should have been out a cleaning that up

Its the mistakes in our back line that are killing us, and there is no single culprit, we seem to make mistakes regardless of defensive players/keeper choices, thistle ads me to think it's related to the coaching our defensive players have had over the last few months.

The first goal we conceded I can forgive, it wasn't great from Price and Syllabus managed to get half a yard on Batth but it was well taken.

You'd have thought we'd have learnt from it wouldn't you......

I'll get me coat.

I'd be starting Price and Saiss every game. We would be much more solid and flyid

Even if it means not starting a regular goal scorer. You could argue for playing him as a striker if he's there for his goals

You'd have thought we'd have learnt from it wouldn't you......

I'll get me coat.

The whole defence is not well schooled. They fail to do their homework on opposition forwards and concede text book goals week in week out. There is no science to it! The lack of chemistry between the back five gives an easy equation that means we concede to many and too often. We have the worst home goals against record in the division. The best teams have still to visit us. More footballing lessons I fear. We need to master the art of defending and quick. We visit the potteries soon for a break from the league. I hope we don't get a caning there. Their attack could bully our defence on current form. Groan.....

That's it I am done! Enough school references for one post

Those who can do! Those who can't teach Happy new year!

Whatever mistakes were made, I am sure they were not deliberate, and some of the comments on Twitter to Danny Batth have been out of order. Absolutely no need for the abuse.

I don't use twitter. I take it that the abuse is really bad then?

Danny isn't very good, isn't up to this level, is at least a mistake a game waiting to happen, but isn't deserving of personal abuse.

Danny isn't very good, isn't up to this level, is at least a mistake a game waiting to happen, but isn't deserving of personal abuse.

Very abusive. And I agree he is not a great player, but I am sure he does his very best. But he does need replacing.

May as well do a full verdict for yesterday. I know a lot of fans can't believe we didn't win but i don;t think we ever looked like doing enough, we passed it around well but without any penetration a lot of the time and it was only when we got it Costa and Cav that we looked really dangerous.

Ikeme - Distribution is woeful, it's either out of play or straight to one of their players and it's painfully slow. Couple of times he could have started quick attacks for us but just had no interest. Very poor for the winning goal, the club don't think so but we need an upgrade.

Coady - I thought he did ok again but he didn't really have to defend that much as QPR didn't really attack. Got forward but his crosses were poor and he didn't really connect with Costa as was said earlier.

Batth - I've said it for ages but i'm not sure how he's still in the team. Aimless hoofs, simple free headers that could be headed to a teammate headed to QPR, awful marking of Sylla for the first goal and then an even worse attempt to shield the ball back to Ikeme for the second. Should be nowhere near the team.

Stearman - Better than Batth but i think his positioning for the first goal was poor and obviously he got his feet all in a muddle for the second. If only we had a good reliable centre back.

Doherty - Getting a lot of criticism for being out of position for the first goal and rightly so. Was too deep and didn't support the attack, didn't press early enough with Cav and when he did it was too late and it left an easy flick around the corner for QPR to get away. He got forward well again but he can't defend and he wasn't asked to do a lot of that.

Price - Can't give him MOTM because despite his passing in the second half which was sublime he did so much wrong off the ball. First half he was poor and had a couple of aimless punts forward and then got himself needlessly booked. Tracked the runner for the first goal but had he not been booked i think he would have fouled him, even so he should have stopped the cross. He was also far too easily out muscled for the second goal. So yes his passing was top notch in the second half but has to be better without the ball as the deepest midfielder.

Edwards - Anonymous for 96 mins and 59 seconds but scored again. If he was a striker he could get away with contributing nothing and scoring but he's one of a midfield 2 and the game bypasses him 99% of the time. Doesn't pass forward and if he does it's too slow and his work rate just wasn't needed against this QPR side. I know he's scoring but imagine a full 90 minutes of another midfielder contributing, surely we would benefit and so would the more attacking players. No idea why he was more worried about appealing for the free kick when he thought Price was fouled for the winner than defending but it sums him up.

Costa - Had Bidwell on toast in the second half and beat him pretty much every time he got the ball. His final ball whether it was a pass, cross or shot let him down today apart from once when Edwards got on the end of one. Still our biggest threat and will be a big miss next season.

Bright - No doubt the kids got ability but he isn't quite ready for the Championship yet. Should have scored in the first half and his attempted shot that ended up as a pass back for the second game running in the 2nd half was laughable. I don't mind him playing as the only way he will be ready is playing games so i'm prepared to be patient with him but he does need to be as confident as he is for the under 23's. Would have loved Teixeira to have been given a chance playing in this position with the confidence of his manager behind him.

Cav - Doesn't always cross it early and that frustrates a lot of fans but even when he does no one gets near it and that's why he just doesn't do it all the time. We don;t have any one that can head the ball or meet a cross if Dave isn't in the box and that was proved when he whipped a ball right across goal at 1-1 and no one got near it because they were all too deep. Along with Costa our biggest threat.

Dicko - Just not good enough at the minute. He's reactive rather than proactive and that leaves him a yard behind most of the time, he's not good enough in the air and his finishing on the deck lacks any confidence what so ever. I know it's still early days but not sure he's going to be the striker he was. Not sure how he lasted 82 minutes.

SUBS

Mason - Came on when Bright was probably just beginning to settle and didn't have the same impact. Control was poor and didn't really link up with anyone. Should have scored though imo but took to long too hit it and when he did it was blocked.

Bod - Only got 8 minutes but it was a pretty poor 8 minutes. Failed to control the ball several times and although it would have been tough should have chested the ball down rather than attempt a back header when clipped in over the top. No idea what happened after that Brentford game but he isn't the same player, the intensity and the control of the football isn't the same.

QPR are the worst team i have seen this season, they didn't come to win the game yet still scored twice. We had a lot of the ball because they were so bad but didn't ever really look that threatening despite having several chances. Can't be having anyone say we played well because we really didn't, any other side would have beaten them today and convincingly. We're still at the stage of giving it to Costa and Cav and hoping although Bright did have a few moments where he showed what he may be capable of.

Found one charming fellow telling him he hopes he dies and every second word was fuck or cunt.

He's been tweeting Batth none stop since the Derby game, scrolled a bit further and before that he was arguing the toss that Cruwys was a Watford hooligan.

A real delight.

I really despair over some fans attitude, the level of abuse to players and managers.....OF THEIR OWN TEAMS is really quite scary, its football and players/managers don't try to be crap. Can only assume some people live their lives vicariously through their team and vent their own life failures through the team

Never understood why people tag the player in a post abusing them.

Don't really understand why a footballer would want to be on Twitter anyway. By and large they only Tweet the same platitudes after each game, "fans were great", "we go again" etc and are open to be abused by the dregs of the internet.

May as well do a full verdict for yesterday. I know a lot of fans can't believe we didn't win but i don;t think we ever looked like doing enough, we passed it around well but without any penetration a lot of the time and it was only when we got it Costa and Cav that we looked really dangerous.

Ikeme - Distribution is woeful, it's either out of play or straight to one of their players and it's painfully slow. Couple of times he could have started quick attacks for us but just had no interest. Very poor for the winning goal, the club don't think so but we need an upgrade.

Coady - I thought he did ok again but he didn't really have to defend that much as QPR didn't really attack. Got forward but his crosses were poor and he didn't really connect with Costa as was said earlier.

Batth - I've said it for ages but i'm not sure how he's still in the team. Aimless hoofs, simple free headers that could be headed to a teammate headed to QPR, awful marking of Sylla for the first goal and then an even worse attempt to shield the ball back to Ikeme for the second. Should be nowhere near the team.

Stearman - Better than Batth but i think his positioning for the first goal was poor and obviously he got his feet all in a muddle for the second. If only we had a good reliable centre back.

Doherty - Getting a lot of criticism for being out of position for the first goal and rightly so. Was too deep and didn't support the attack, didn't press early enough with Cav and when he did it was too late and it left an easy flick around the corner for QPR to get away. He got forward well again but he can't defend and he wasn't asked to do a lot of that.

Price - Can't give him MOTM because despite his passing in the second half which was sublime he did so much wrong off the ball. First half he was poor and had a couple of aimless punts forward and then got himself needlessly booked. Tracked the runner for the first goal but had he not been booked i think he would have fouled him, even so he should have stopped the cross. He was also far too easily out muscled for the second goal. So yes his passing was top notch in the second half but has to be better without the ball as the deepest midfielder.

Edwards - Anonymous for 96 mins and 59 seconds but scored again. If he was a striker he could get away with contributing nothing and scoring but he's one of a midfield 2 and the game bypasses him 99% of the time. Doesn't pass forward and if he does it's too slow and his work rate just wasn't needed against this QPR side. I know he's scoring but imagine a full 90 minutes of another midfielder contributing, surely we would benefit and so would the more attacking players. No idea why he was more worried about appealing for the free kick when he thought Price was fouled for the winner than defending but it sums him up.

Costa - Had Bidwell on toast in the second half and beat him pretty much every time he got the ball. His final ball whether it was a pass, cross or shot let him down today apart from once when Edwards got on the end of one. Still our biggest threat and will be a big miss next season.

Bright - No doubt the kids got ability but he isn't quite ready for the Championship yet. Should have scored in the first half and his attempted shot that ended up as a pass back for the second game running in the 2nd half was laughable. I don't mind him playing as the only way he will be ready is playing games so i'm prepared to be patient with him but he does need to be as confident as he is for the under 23's. Would have loved Teixeira to have been given a chance playing in this position with the confidence of his manager behind him.

Cav - Doesn't always cross it early and that frustrates a lot of fans but even when he does no one gets near it and that's why he just doesn't do it all the time. We don;t have any one that can head the ball or meet a cross if Dave isn't in the box and that was proved when he whipped a ball right across goal at 1-1 and no one got near it because they were all too deep. Along with Costa our biggest threat.

Dicko - Just not good enough at the minute. He's reactive rather than proactive and that leaves him a yard behind most of the time, he's not good enough in the air and his finishing on the deck lacks any confidence what so ever. I know it's still early days but not sure he's going to be the striker he was. Not sure how he lasted 82 minutes.

SUBS

Mason - Came on when Bright was probably just beginning to settle and didn't have the same impact. Control was poor and didn't really link up with anyone. Should have scored though imo but took to long too hit it and when he did it was blocked.

Bod - Only got 8 minutes but it was a pretty poor 8 minutes. Failed to control the ball several times and although it would have been tough should have chested the ball down rather than attempt a back header when clipped in over the top. No idea what happened after that Brentford game but he isn't the same player, the intensity and the control of the football isn't the same.

QPR are the worst team i have seen this season, they didn't come to win the game yet still scored twice. We had a lot of the ball because they were so bad but didn't ever really look that threatening despite having several chances. Can't be having anyone say we played well because we really didn't, any other side would have beaten them today and convincingly. We're still at the stage of giving it to Costa and Cav and hoping although Bright did have a few moments where he showed what he may be capable of.

100% agree with every word here.

Don't really understand why a footballer would want to be on Twitter anyway. By and large they only Tweet the same platitudes after each game, "fans were great", "we go again" etc and are open to be abused by the dregs of the internet.

Someone had said that the players earn more in 2 weeks than most of earn in a year so that they deserve to be swore at by us. If you look at Danny Batth last 20 tweets 5 of them are for what I would call good causes.

I think some people think the internet is an excuse to be an asshole, it's not just a twitter thing it's everywhere. Even many fans forums Mol Mix etc... The sole purpose of posting is to have an argument and look like a big man. As much as I think Batth is bang out of form and needs dropping I wouldn't question his commitment or attitude for a second. Sadly the "dregs" will continue to pollute the internet and dish our the said abuse I just hope Danny and the rest know that in form or out good or bad if they give their all we are right behind them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Never understood why people tag the player in a post abusing them.

The key to Twitter is not to abuse, comical but at the same time damning tweets are the way forward.

I think some people think the internet is an excuse to be an asshole, it's not just a twitter thing it's everywhere. Even many fans forums Mol Mix etc... The sole purpose of posting is to have an argument and look like a big man. As much as I think Batth is bang out of form and needs dropping I wouldn't question his commitment or attitude for a second. Sadly the "dregs" will continue to pollute the internet and dish our the said abuse I just hope Danny and the rest know that in form or out good or bad if they give their all we are right behind them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

There are some real fucking idiots out there. Batths commitment is not the issue. His ability is.

Back