• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2008/9 vs 2015/16

maybe that's why as we saw with Foley in particular he just had nothing left to give.

Foley had gone mentally and physically. He was playing injured a lot of the time and his fall out with Trap at Ireland and Wolves form in general just seemed to slowly kill his game.

Still scored a cracker under KJ v Swindon at Molineux

Neither team would be a patch on McGarry's class of 1972...

Seriously though, I think Mick had the better squad, with the experience. But I think generally Kenny has a better starting eleven. Put Kightly and Foley in Kenny's team and they would be the better of the two teams. I think.

Apples and Oranges with the McGarry side though. You are comparing a side that made a European final with sides in the second tier. Equally, I could say McGarry's side couldnt hold a candle to the 1954 or 1958-1960 side.

Apples and Oranges with the McGarry side though. You are comparing a side that made a European final with sides in the second tier. Equally, I could say McGarry's side couldnt hold a candle to the 1954 or 1958-1960 side.

I was only having a bit of fun Paddy. Obviously one cannot compare McGarry's team with our teams over the last decade.

Wouldn't disagree with that - but he was utterly appalling when we went down. Like a completely different player.

Abducted by the Michael Jackson aliens, ay

The best way to compare the Mick and KJ sides is by player by player analysis of the most regular starting eleven for me. Arguments about depth are also important, but look at what both managers are regularly putting out to make the call

GK - Hennessey is IMHO the better goalkeeper compared to Ikeme. Wayne has weaknesses in his game for sure, and I am still very very bitter about the way he left and the surrounding circumstances, but I think he is technically a bit better than Ikeme. Quite close though. The telling point may be that Mick had both and the pecking order was clear.

LB - Ward vs Golbourne (although Big George played a fair bit before his injury at Ipswich). For me Golbourne is a better defender, but Ward had more going forward due to it being his first position.

RB - Iorfa vs Foley. Tough call. I am going with Foley for now. Iorfa is all potential and I believe will end up better but he is just learning.

CB - Stearman v Stearman! That will be a draw then

CB - Baath v Craddock or Berra. Mick's two in my opinion are ahead.

LM - In the absence of Sako it is Jacobs v Jarvis and it isn't a contest. Jarvis wins

RM - RVLP v Kightly. Judas Kightly is way ahead

CM - McDonald v Jones. Split it this way as I think Jones was closer to the way Kev plays. In that season Jones was excellent. KMac is a fine fine player, but I think Jones is ahead

CM - Henry v Price. All the Karl Henry haters forget just how fucking good he was in the promotion season. This isn't much of a contest either. Hopefully Jack will fulfill potential and have a season like Karl did that year.

CF - SEB v Afobe. Just too close to call. Both are / were tremendous. I cannot decide

CF - Dicko v Iwelumo. Dear old big chris was magnificent but I can't put him ahead of Nouha who looks a threat every game. Chris had a brilliant purple patch early in the promotion season but then went a lot quieter later on in affairs.

My conclusion - Mick's team was better, but not significantly so in many positions. This team can still be right in the mix, and I am sure there will be a couple of belting additions that make us believe.

My 11 in a notional 442
Ikeme (now)
Foley
Golbourne
Stearman (now)
Craddock
Kightly
Jones
Henry
Jarvis
SEB
Dicko
7-4 to Mick's team

I know! Just being fair as it is still the same player. Stearman has matured massively as a defender and I think he is a cracking defender now.

I guess I'll chuck in with my best XI as well, even though the Champ winning team was before my time...

Ikeme > Hennessey

Iorfa > Foley (though, as I said, I don't really know how good Foley was back then)

Stearman > Stearman (based on what I've heard, new Stears is a bit less error-prone than he was when he was a blondie)

Baath < Berra (neither are Prem standard IMHO but I've just seen Batth shoved out of challenges too often for my liking)

Golbourne > Warokobi (I like Wardy and adore Big George but at the position neither are a patch on Scotty "Buy My Shirts" Golbourne)

James van La Parra > Kightly (like Foley, I don't really know how good Kightly was back then, but based on his contributions from 2011 onward I don't quite understand the previous love for him [understanding of course that major knee injuries take quite a toll)

Kack McPrice < Karvid Jonry (just not sold on Kevin and Jack as a partnership yet, but love both players individually)

Wallace < Jarvis (mostly because I don't even know if Wallace will end up as a left winger; Jarvo was relatively innocuous but at least tried to create things)

Afobicko > Ebanks-Iwelumo (currently I'd rate old Sylvan above Dicko and Afobe, but as a pair I don't think this is a contest)

Kightly was absolutely brilliant before the injuries started to play havoc.

Better than Sako for me.

Kightly of that period would be an absolute mile ahead of anything we have now. And we still have Sako on the books until midnight.

When we won the league the 2 players that I thought were nailed on to make the step up were Kightly and SEB, for varying reasons they didn't.

Kightly of that period would be an absolute mile ahead of anything we have now. And we still have Sako on the books until midnight.

Indeed, close to being the best player I have seen in a Wolves shirt.

When you really analyse it its a real close thing. I think the current squad is 12 months and 2 players away from the Mick league winners.That side had ,more experience and had been involved in play off scraps / close run things for the years leading up to the league win.I think the league is also better now and tougher to get out of.Poor sides still beat the better sides and often if last season is anything to go by. I fear its close but no cigar for us again unless we sign a couple of real humdingers. The sqaud is still lacking on quality on depth despite some real quality in the first 11. We saw what a few injuries did last November , a run that cost us dearly and I balance that with the post Afobe form which was auto promotion material

Back