• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

That was Shearers argument last night the last sport to take it seriously, what I don't understand Arsenals medical staff are the medical staff for the British and Irish Lions etc. yet Luiz was allowed to play on for another 40 minutes ?

If the protocols are followed they've done their jobs.

Morally they've let a man they know wouldn't pass the protocols in any of those other sports back on the pitch and that paints them in a terrible light as medics.

Just a couple of points folks:

1. Let's not argue about this when we all just hope that Raul makes a full and swift recovery - we're all on the same side here
2. Please can you use spoiler tags if you insist on sharing any images of the collision? Personally I don't see the need to see any of them so some self moderation would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I wish Raul all the best, he's a tough cookie so hopefully we'll see him back in the shirt.

Fractured skull for Raul. Out for a long time I'd guess, hopefully he recovers fully for his young family more than anything.
Fuck. Genuinely gutted for him.
How long does the recovery for that type of injury normally take?

On the football side of things for a second (even though it is hugely irrelevant). I did think Silva was excellent last night - potentially the best performance by a Wolves forward so far this season with his link-up play and dragging defenders out of position. I think he's ready.

The out of control thing is a very difficult thing to police.

We often see it used as the reasoning for punishing challenges on the ground, tackling player off the ground when committing to the challenge often interpreted as out of control because at that point they've little means of backing out of the challenge. If you apply that to aerial challenges then you're basically banning jumping, in which case both Jimenez and Luiz would've been 'out of control' last night and potentially in line to be punished.

It's a terrible outcome to what, in my eyes at least, is a perfectly honest challenge but I don't see how you can eradicate those situations without fundamentally changing the way the game is played. The congestion you get a set pieces in particular with balls being played in at head height is always going to provide the potential for these kind of things to occur, even more so with the relatively modern fondness for zonal marking as it gives players more opportunity to get a run on one another and some poor bloke to get stuck in the way from a standing start. Last night Luiz had made a great run to attack that cross but at the same time Jimenez did his defensive work excellently to get across a few yards at the near post and flick it away, unfortunately in doing so he puts himself right in the firing line of anyone who would be attacking the ball behind him, it could just have easily been Traore barreling into him if he'd got ahead of Luiz.

If that ball is an inch or two lower then the incident might not even happen, Jimenez would've then been thrusting his head forwards to head the ball away rather than flicking it upward and that might have been enough to avoid the collision with Luiz, it at least would've massively reduced the severity of the impact as they wouldn't have been meeting head on.

There is however a strange disparity between how these incidents are viewed between aerial challenges and those on the ground, any slide tackle these days is scrutinised to high heaven looking for intent, excessive force, lack of control, contact on the follow through, you name it someone is going to find a way to argue it's dangerous. At times it almost certainly goes too far and you end up with a bit of a nanny state refereeing the game, sure players need to be protected but it's a contact sport at the end of the day so there are inevitably going to be some incidents along the way.

On the football side of things for a second (even though it is hugely irrelevant). I did think Silva was excellent last night - potentially the best performance by a Wolves forward so far this season with his link-up play and dragging defenders out of position. I think he's ready.

Good to hear that, I only saw highlights but he didn't look out of place

He needs to beef up - which I think someone else said on here - but he did settle very well. Especially considering the circumstances.

Should we maybe start a dedicated Raul thread?

I also liked what I saw of Silva. Lots to still improve, obviously, but he did alright.

Good to hear that, I only saw highlights but he didn't look out of place
You can see what people mean when they say he needs to beef up a bit, but as a young kid he will become special one day

A big thank you to Wolvensam for being able to type faster than me so it looks like I'm just an echo !

Awful news for Raul and his family, hope he makes a speedy and full recovery, and secondly (as someone else said) hope we see him in gold and black again

Fuck. Genuinely gutted for him.
How long does the recovery for that type of injury normally take?
It depends - he’s had an operation so it depends whether he needed a plate/plates in his skull due to the fracture/break in his skull, or whether there was bruising or a bleed on the brain that needed surgery also.

hopefuly it was “just” plates.

petr cech apparently had a thin skull because he was one of triplets, hopefully Raul has a thick skull which protected his brain.

You can see what people mean when they say he needs to beef up a bit, but as a young kid he will become special one day

A big thank you to Wolvensam for being able to type faster than me so it looks like I'm just an echo !

Sorry mate! :ROFLMAO:

If football had concussion subs then managers and medics wouldnt have to make these decisions. It shouldnt be rocket science - any significant head injury and the player must be subbed for a period of time for independent assesment. If they pass the sub can be reversed.

We can't speculate anything to do with his recovery - we don't even know what kind of operation he had, whether he needs another one etc.

He's comfortable in hospital and has been able to see his family - that is literally all that matters at the minute.

Appreciate that we all want to see him back in a Wolves shirt but I would say that we assume he won't play again this season and work back from there.

Out of control or not, having hit Raul's head he was endangering an opponent. It was the force due the speed at which he threw himself in that has caused the damage. That is definitely in his control as a player and he should be accountable for that.

In NFL helmet-to-helmet contact is a big no-no. And we don't even have helmets in football!

The FA could easily choose to make an example of him for player safety. It would make players think twice about charging in like that at least.

Not sure if it's just me but yes, it was reckless, but I don't hold Luiz accountable for what happens - same as Stephen Hunt with Cech. I think there was genuine intent to play the ball, it was just incredibly reckless.

Back