• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Vile 0 v 1 Wolves - The Verdict Thread

I always remember it being a bit of gentle respect and we both hated the other two. Xia, Bruce and Wyness changed that a bit. But they are all gone. For me, they are just another team to beat.

There has always been a respect between the 2 biggest clubs of the West Midlands. Bruce, Wybess, and Xiu changed that with there constant bleating.

Now we are again the best in the Midlands the Vile hate it.
They are now as insignificant as the stripy lot from Birmingham.

Let's hope there are 3 Brirmingham derbies next season

If this situation had occurred 20-25 years ago this phoney rivalry wouldn’t have occurred. Advent of social media has given everyone a mouth from the safety of their own home. Ask most genuine Villa or Wolves fans they’ll say it’s not their biggest rivalry and it was generally a good natured game.
Also a certain radio station having a phone in every day of the week and deliberately playing fans of each other, remember when it was an hour on a Friday night and an hour after the game that was your lot.

If this situation had occurred 20-25 years ago this phoney rivalry wouldn’t have occurred. Advent of social media has given everyone a mouth from the safety of their own home. Ask most genuine Villa or Wolves fans they’ll say it’s not their biggest rivalry and it was generally a good natured game.
Also a certain radio station having a phone in every day of the week and deliberately playing fans of each other, remember when it was an hour on a Friday night and an hour after the game that was your lot.

It's social media rather than WM. I don't disagree with what you are saying but their demographic isn't the type to build a false rivalry. 90% don't go to games and 80% won't be going on Twitter

Rivalries aren't static though.

It stands to reason we haven't been on each others radar when Villa have finished higher than us in what, 39 of the last 40 years if not more.

For years and years Man Utd v Liverpool was the big one but the rivalry between United and City has grown since 2008. By contrast a generation of United fans won't *really* know about the rivalry United and Leeds had for years.

We represent a threat to Villas footballing hegemony and they don't like it one bit, they didn't like it when Albion threatened it with midtable medicority they certainly won't like it with what this side is threatening to do.

Xia, Bruce, Wyness are all symptoms of this. In 2017 we were the noisy neighbour. The only thing missing was Ruben Neves on "Welcome to" billboards.

They won the European Cup 38 years ago. You'd need to be in your mid 40s to remember that. The arrogance gets passed down through the generations. Lack of understanding of their real place in the football hierarchy exists at a few clubs, Villa, West Ham and Newcastle being the most deluded and entitled.

West Ham are terrible for that. Mate of mine was on about them getting Ancelotti FFS.

Also found blues fans to have similarly stupid expectations.

Tbf West Ham do tend to make splashes and go for 'names' - they're just almost always terrible choices.

Tbf we were just as bad when KJ got sacked and we got WaltZ....then again when we binned him.

AVB was the runaway request I believe

It's social media rather than WM. I don't disagree with what you are saying but their demographic isn't the type to build a false rivalry. 90% don't go to games and 80% won't be going on Twitter

To be fair I’ve not listened in a long time, I know they have dedicated person on each to do social media. I’d say any platform you’ve got that can reach many people means you’ve got a responsibility.
If you ever listen when Paul Franks or Rego aren’t on the bitch fest doesn’t really occur or it’s stopped sharpish.

Tbf we were just as bad when KJ got sacked and we got WaltZ....then again when we binned him.

AVB was the runaway request I believe
Nail, head, etc.

Villa are about as relevant as Bournemouth or Crystal Palace to me, but then I grew up in Shropshire rather than in & around Wolverhampton/Birmingham area.

I grew up in the black country to the east of what you'd consider Wolves territory and Villa aren't relevant to me either, or anyone I know.

Was and always has been the shit (WBA), Blues and Stoke our rivals in that order, Villa come somewhere in the next bracket along the likes of Walsall, Coventry and Port Vale etc.

For my money this whole 'rivalry' with Villa mostly exists on social media and pedalled by people who only really started paying much attention in 2018.

As for verdict another brilliant example of game management in my opinion. The mainstream media might want to talk only about Traore and Jimenez but thought Dendoncker and Jonny were outstanding!

Spot on that

My home town has always had a lot of Villa fans. It's pretty much equal Wolves/Albion/Villa and it is nice to see the Villa lot brought down a peg or two, but this rivalry just isn't something I can relate to. I 100% agree with those who lay the blame on Bruce, Wyness, Xia - their inane prattle used to piss me off and that seem to be the catalyst for the incredibly tedious Twitter bandwagon to latch on to.

Personally, as delighted as I was with the result, I took far more schadenfreude seeing us beat Bournemouth last week.

Just watched Dean Smith on MotD2, looks like he wants to cry when moaning about the number of games. Very pathetic.

f9d3e174c8815183e25e10bc7d0f8ba4.jpg

He's talking a load of shit.

How come you didn't beat us in November then Dean?

Must be something about the name Dean all cunts....

Dean Edwards scored the goals which stopped our Sherpa Van back to back visit despite being a Wolves fan.

Dean Richards was the first player to leave us on a Bosman after phoning in his final season

Harlee Dean got sent off trying to snap Helder in half

Dean Edwards scored the goals which stopped our Sherpa Van back to back visit despite being a Wolves fan.

Dean Richards was the first player to leave us on a Bosman after phoning in his final season

Harlee Dean got sent off trying to snap Helder in half

You've all missed out the biggest cunt of them all......SAUNDERS!

Back