• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff (A) build up thread

Ikeme/Burgoyne

Silvio
Batth
Stearman
CBJ

Saiss
Price
Edwards

Costa
Dicko
Cavaleiro

I'd pick that team too, along with really playing on the front foot from the off instead of this counter attacking rubbish that constantly puts the worst Wolves defence in 20 years under pressure.

I may even be tempted to go full on 4-4-2 with both wingers and forwards pushed onto their opposing defenders to stop Cardiff going back to front easily which is Warnock's default setting.

Ikeme/A.N.Other
Silvio--Batth--Stears--CBJ
Costa--Saiss--Coady--Cav
Bod--Dicko​

Subs: 'keeper, Doherty, Bright, Price, Edwards, Iorfa, Hause

I'm not sure what CBJ has done to deserve inclusion. He's nowhere near as good as Doc going forward and only marginally better defensively. Nowhere near worth a place. And going back to Utd anyway so pointless using him.

I'm not sure what CBJ has done to deserve inclusion. He's nowhere near as good as Doc going forward and only marginally better defensively. Nowhere near worth a place. And going back to Utd anyway so pointless using him.

You're a broken record Bear, I get you don't like him. There are lots of people who think CBJ is a much better player than Doherty and regardless of if he does go back (nobody knows this for sure yet) he is no different than having a player leaving at the end of his contract, a la Sako, we didn't stop playing him even though we all knew he was leaving. So there is plenty of point in playing your best players in the positions they are.

I happen to think CBJ is infinitely better than Doherty who isn't even playing in his best position.

I don't see the point in playing CBJ either. But I don't know why Silvio isn't getting a look in. I'd play him assuming he's fit.

I wouldn't mind if he'd actually done something to warrant being "infinitely better than Doherty". Because he hasn't. A lackadaisical attitude and awful positioning. He's ok on the ball and a reasonable tackler but that's about it.

I'd also play Silvio above him. Purely because I haven't seen him and surely he must be decent defensively to play for the clubs he has.

Fair enough you don't agree Bear. He is clearly a better defender than Doherty and he has shown that every time he has played. I'm not sure why you think he's lackadaisical, all I can see is that he has a calm manner which could be taken for that I suppose. He is young though and is always going to make mistakes. Doherty always makes mistakes and always will.

On last year's form CBJ should be a shoe in, he looked like a fantastic signing in the summer but he hasn't even got close to living up to that in a Wolves shirt, a real disappointment.

On last year's form CBJ should be a shoe in, he looked like a fantastic signing in the summer but he hasn't even got close to living up to that in a Wolves shirt, a real disappointment.
Spot on. I had really high hopes for him.

What has he done worse than Doherty?

I agree he isn't the same player we all thought he would be but I think that has more to do with our pathetic coaching staff more than the player himself.

What has he done worse than Doherty?

I agree he isn't the same player we all thought he would be but I think that has more to do with our pathetic coaching staff more than the player himself.

I didn't make any comparison to Doherty, CBJ is merely a shadow of the player he looked to be last season against much better opponents than he's faced in a Wolves shirt.

He was absolutely brilliant against Newcastle on his debut.

Which selection of defenders can we send out this time to give away at least one comically awful goal?

giphy.gif

We're stuck for options really. You can send out any combination of defenders available to us that you like, it doesn't look great whatever you do. We absolutely do not really have the capacity to play a basic 4-4-2 (you can get away with it at home, for half an hour, when you're chasing a game from two goals down and the opposition have started to settle for what they have, but beyond that I don't think so), we don't have any strikers who are capable of scoring at the moment.

I've heard talk that Silvio is actually injured at the moment but the club have decided in their infinite wisdom that we'll only issue updates on players once every couple of months, so who knows. I'm pretty sure CBJ isn't going to stay, we haven't tried anything like enough to make it work but what's done is done. I don't care about Doherty's goal and assist, he's in the team to defend and he can't do it. The Coady/Edwards midfield axis has to be binned for good because they just do not function as a pair, we get overrun without having any quality to offset it.

----------------------------------Burgoyne-----------------------------------

Coady--------------------Batth----------------Stearman-----------------Hause

-----------------------Edwards--------------Saiss--------------------------------

------------Costa--------------Enobakhare------------Cavaleiro-----------------

---------------------------------Dicko--------------------------------------------------

Subs: Flatt, Doherty, Iorfa, Price, Teixeira, Gladon, Bodvarsson

I dont see Lambert changing much, just keeper ( if fit ) and a recall for Stearman.

Will there be any 'rivers' for tonight's game? Cardiff sometimes have their games on I think?

Coady RB and Iorfa LB? Or is that just mental in the face?

Assuming it's not:-

Burgoyne

Coady Baath Stearman Iorfa
Price Saiss
Costa Edwards (tex on as sub) Cav
Dicko

Or

Burgoyne

Iorfa Baath Stearman Doherty

Costa Saiss Coady Cav
Tex/Bright
Dicko

Yes it's mental. Iorfa needs to stay where he is. If you want to bomb put Doherty then Silvio or Hause can play there.

Saville in for Coady & Stears for Hause.

Don;t mind that so much, Saville looked ok in CM earlier this season, certainly less of a headless chicken than Coady.

Saville may at least pop up with a goal now and again.

Good to see that Saiss, Costa and Cav are fully involved now though.

Coady was dreadful on Saturday, couldn't believe he stayed on ahead of Saiss. Could easily have been sent off in the first half too.

At least we've broken up the Coady/Edwards partnership because it just doesn't work. I'd have gone with Price if we really do have to stick with this formation but I'm not sure he did himself any favours with the equaliser at the death.

Back