• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Watford Build Up

Langers

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A very big game - and one we really do need to win to bridge the gap after last night's setback. I enjoyed the way we broke forward in the last two home games, so I hope we keep that mindset. Which I think we will. However, I'd like to see a few changes in personnel for this one so would go with:

------------------------------Kuszczak-------------------------

Iorfa----------------Batth---------------Stearman------------Golbourne

Van La Parra--------McDonald----------Price------------------Sako

----------------------Afobe--------------Dicko---------------------

I'm coming to this one I think, looking forward to it. A similar outcome to Rotherham or Fulham would be marvellous. Or even Boxing Day.

Henry for Vlp and that's what I'd go for, need to stick to the two up front I think as we need goals.

Biggest game of the season and a must win, I'd go with that team maybe swap RVLP for Henry.

Tommy K

BATTH

MCDONALD

VLP HENRY JACOBS SAKO

DOYLE AFOBE DICKO KEITO

Fooking ATTAAAAAAAACK

Iorfa for Doherty, Golbourne for Hause, Henry for RVLP. I don't like it when we start with all three of Dicko/Afobe/RVLP, as the last of those is a better third-choice striker than Doyle, and I think he can be most effective coming on to face tired defenders with his pace.

I'd also like to see Price (or even Evans) back in for Edwards, but I think Jackett sees the pairing from last night as his best attacking midfield two.

Hope we go back to a 4-2-3-1 with Dicko up top and no Edwards because Watford could dominate our midfield if we set up with a 4-4-2.

I can see us going with Price back in midfield, pushing Edwards forward behind Afobe. Dicko on the bench again.

Having two quicker wingers worked well against Watford's 352 system as they naturally found a lot of space in the attacking third out wide. Which I think will play on KJ's mind.

Hopefully Paredes plays as he's fucking woeful. Ighalo, Vydra and Deeney is a fearsome trio of attackers, so we'll have to be strong at the back.

Edwards has to play as the #10 or not at all. Seven years on and he still gets shoehorned into positions he can't function in.

I can see us going with Price back in midfield, pushing Edwards forward behind Afobe. Dicko on the bench again.

Having two quicker wingers worked well against Watford's 352 system as they naturally found a lot of space in the attacking third out wide. Which I think will play on KJ's mind.

I really think Wolves wide players plus Edwards and a striker could get very isolated against this Watford side because they have the capacity to dominate the ball more than most.
I doubt KJ can select many players with starting positions forward of the ball without huge risk.

When you think about where the clubs been in the 7 years since we signed Dave Edwards it's shocking that he's still at the club and still out of position.

I really think Wolves wide players plus Edwards and a striker could get very isolated against this Watford side because they have the capacity to dominate the ball more than most.
I doubt KJ can select many players with starting positions forward of the ball without huge risk.

When we played them at Vicarage Road the wingers did a very good job of supporting Dicko, and we created a lot of chances. Edwards helped the two in midfield contain Abdi, Munari and Toszer

When we played them at Vicarage Road the wingers did a very good job of supporting Dicko, and we created a lot of chances. Edwards helped the two in midfield contain Abdi, Munari and Toszer

Edwards did a good job that night in making sure their back three were constantly under pressure and kept giving away possession. Although this time they won't have Bassong lumbering about like he's on Mogadon. I don't think we should be playing that way at home anyway at this point when we need wins, Dicko and Afobe both have to start.

Pick our best two full backs - who are so superior to those who played last night that it should never even be a discussion point if they're all fit - and our best available partner for McDonald which is Price. He doesn't need to make this complicated, we have a pretty clear best XI if we're playing two forwards (bar maybe Henry/Van La Parra, who are fairly interchangeable), just pick it.

2014/15: W 1-0 (A)
2012/13: D 1-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2008/9: W 3-1 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2007/8: L 1-2 (H), L 0-3 (A), W 4-1 (A, FAC)
2005/6: D 1-1 (H), L 1-3 (A), L 1-2 (A, LC)
2004/5: D 0-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2002/3: D 0-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2001/2: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2000/1: D 2-2 (H), L 2-3 (A)
1998/9: D 0-0 (H), W 2-0 (A)
1995/6: W 3-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
1994/5: D 1-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1993/4: W 2-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)

I said earlier in the week that I was expecting one point from a possible 6 this week, I don't see any reason to think I might be wrong for a change.

Edwards did a good job that night in making sure their back three were constantly under pressure and kept giving away possession. Although this time they won't have Bassong lumbering about like he's on Mogadon. I don't think we should be playing that way at home anyway at this point when we need wins, Dicko and Afobe both have to start.

Pick our best two full backs - who are so superior to those who played last night that it should never even be a discussion point if they're all fit - and our best available partner for McDonald which is Price. He doesn't need to make this complicated, we have a pretty clear best XI if we're playing two forwards (bar maybe Henry/Van La Parra, who are fairly interchangeable), just pick it.

If we do go 442, Price, Golbourne, Iorfa all have to come in and I wouldn't mind Henry coming back into the side.

it disappoints me a little bit that we seem to have ditched the clear style of play we came up with. We've stopped playing out from the back too. I know it isn't possible all the time but I do think it is more sustainable and if we were to get promoted it would help us having a way of playing that the players know inside out, and is effective at that level. Right now, I'm not sure everyone knows their role and we are getting by on the individual quality we have in the team.

Tbf, though, while we were playing really lovely football at the start of the season a lot of us were also bemoaning our inability to score much. Lots of 1-0 wins until the November horror show.

We're not exactly lumping it forward now even if it's not a possession-focused style, but we are sitting deeper and using our pace to counter rapidly, and the results (when it's worked) have been pretty impressive. I'm OK with it, I have to say.

Price
Golbourne
Iorfa
in for
Dicko
Doherty
Hause

I think we'd get overrun with 2 in midfield and need the pacier wingers to break behind their wing backs. As Deutsch says is picking your best 2 full backs that difficult?

When you think about where the clubs been in the 7 years since we signed Dave Edwards it's shocking that he's still at the club and still out of position.

This frustrates me no end, obviously shows how hard he works and how impressive he must be in training but can no one see he has the technique of a small horse? Hopefully we'll finally upgrade on him this summer

I'm quite happy about any selection as long as it doesn't include Edwards or Doyle...

Back