• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Rotherham - the build up

Hope all goes well for you both! It was 3 weeks ago today that I was at New Cross welcoming a new arrival.

Mind you, it's a poor excuse for missing a match :icon_wink:

Yeah, if it was his first I could understand...

Agreed. I still wonder if some of that has been about protecting Iorfa, or he's carrying an injury.

I think there's a clamour to get Jacobs back in a he's the saviour kinda way. He hasn't been pulling up trees for the U21s either IIRC, so I think there's something else there. I am surprised he hasn't gone out on loan.

He hasn't played many times at all for the u21s as far as I can remember.

Like LK, it's not that I think he's the saviour, I just want him to have had the opportunity that Edwards has had!

I find it hard to believe that Jackett has just decided he isn't good enough for this level without giving him the opportunity.

I would rather we went 433 than 3-5-2, I would work Sako left and then mix Afobe and Dicko as right sided strikers rather than one as a winger, lop sided in nature but the width could come from the fullback on that side, especially if we have two of the 3 cm's as sitters rather than attackers. This is what I do with the side I manage, what more evidence do you need!

I wouldn't get worked up about 3-5-2 being played. Surely any decent team will spend time working on different formations during training (now if they play 3-5-2 in the final training tomorrow it would indicate a change....)

Don't see why we would need to muck around with the formation for this game - Rotherham have not been great on their travels & scored few goals (11 in 15).

Back 4 of Golbourne - Stearman - Batth - Iorfa and allow the FBs licence to attack & then go at them from the off.

For all we know they could have been preparing defensively just in case Rotherham play 3-5-2 at any point.

You'll be in the tender mercies of Mr Parkin this game and maybe Mr Young Wolf.
I'm taking Mrs Wolfie out for a Lebanese lunch then a cultural day in Dublin whilst The Drummer is building relationships with Little Wolfie.

If anybody has a spare ticket for the game I'll be happy to reimburse them with liquid refreshment before/after the game.

If anybody has a spare ticket for the game I'll be happy to reimburse them with liquid refreshment before/after the game.

If you are happy robbing Wolves and sneaking in on a U17 ticket you can have my lads who can't make it this weekend

Whilst I accept he's not played in the number 10 role this season, Jacobs has looked poor in the other admittedly limited opportunities he's had. I really don't see the justification for him to start. Perhaps as a sub, but gotta be honest, if we're a goal behind, bringing him on wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Its been a very limited game plan that Kenny Jackett has tried to use this season which has seen poor chance creation because of its one dimensional theme. Just maybe playing through central midfield would be a more rounded approach that could open up the game and help with creativity.
Jacobs has been given zilch opportunity so to suggest his performances have been below par is baffling.

Its been a very limited game plan that Kenny Jackett has tried to use this season which has seen poor chance creation because of its one dimensional theme. Just maybe playing through central midfield would be a more rounded approach that could open up the game and help with creativity.
Jacobs has been given zilch opportunity so to suggest his performances have been below par is baffling.

Well he been given some opportunity, albeit brief and in a different position to where he played last season but I haven't seen a single word of praise for any of those fleeting performances to suggest he's deserving of greater involvement, you can't trade of previous successes for eternity. There's got to be some reason he bombed so badly at Derby, where there's a system which allows attacking midfielders plenty of opportunity to shine, so perhaps history has repeated itself?

Well he been given some opportunity, albeit brief and in a different position to where he played last season but I haven't seen a single word of praise for any of those fleeting performances to suggest he's deserving of greater involvement, you can't trade of previous successes for eternity. There's got to be some reason he bombed so badly at Derby, where there's a system which allows attacking midfielders plenty of opportunity to shine, so perhaps history has repeated itself?

Maybe Jacobs best and most effective position is in the centre of the pitch and should be judged by his performances in that position. You wouldn't judge RVLP on his centre forward displays and suggest he has bombed this season.
Its Wolves who have bombed as a team as an attacking threat not individual players because there is no pattern of play through central midfield.

Jacobs was one of the only bright spots in the performance at Blackpool in September when he was shoved onto the left wing. He was poor wide left but when he came central he was on the ball and looking to drive forward. Of course that meant we had nobody on the left and Jackett promptly hauled him off. Jackett was terrible that day.

Maybe Jacobs best and most effective position is in the centre of the pitch and should be judged by his performances in that position. You wouldn't judge RVLP on his centre forward displays and suggest he has bombed this season.
Its Wolves who have bombed as a team as an attacking threat not individual players because there is no pattern of play through central midfield.

RVLP offered more in his stint up front than Jacobs has in his brief appearances out wide, and Jacobs is far more familiar with playing wide than RVLP is with playing up front.

I don't think there's that much difference in Jackett's set up from last season to be honest, I think any failing from the team unit is a result of them no longer having a clear advantage in ability over majority of their opponents. Last season was easy for Wolves for the most part, they had at least 2 or 3 players who were far too good for pretty much every opponent they faced so they could coast through games no eventually that advantage would pay, it was easy for the likes of Sako, Jacobs and Henry playing against these inferior defences knowing they'd be able to find plenty of space in which to do pretty much whatever they wanted. This season they haven't got such a free ride and that's showing, perhaps Jackett doesn't feel Jacobs is capable of finding such space this season in the face of more competant opposition, would he have really been that much more difficult a test for the apparently dominant presence of Tettey? Or would he have been just as easily negated as the others who faced him that day?

I think Jacobs had the luxury of building himself an inflated reputation amongst Wolves fans against largely inferior opposition and now there's a lot of noses put out of joint by his lack of involvement, he's no superstar, if he'd played regularly this season i think he'd have spent more games in the back pocket of people like Tettey than he would've swanning around in acres of space as though it's League 1 all over again.

Jacobs was one of the only bright spots in the performance at Blackpool in September when he was shoved onto the left wing. He was poor wide left but when he came central he was on the ball and looking to drive forward. Of course that meant we had nobody on the left and Jackett promptly hauled him off. Jackett was terrible that day.

In fact to judge Jacobs as a winger you would need a Jacobs in central midfield to drive the play forward and enable the wide players find space themselves.

Back