• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Vile 0 v 1 Wolves - The Verdict Thread

A fabulous goal worthy of winning any game. Another comfortable victory and another clean sheet. As others have alluded to as talented a player Grealish is he unbalanced them dreadfully by roaming anywhere he pleases. A free role in a relegation threatened side when they are playing two up front is a luxury they can’t afford.
I think he rules the roost at the club and can do as he wants. It will be interesting to see him at a better club and how he copes with a more disciplined role.

The other thread is locked and Smith is delusional, but just as a point of order he didn't sign those players, he gets what he's given. They went on a Fulhamesque Easter egg hunt and are likely to get the same result.

We've not played well offensively in any of the three games so far, but have found the odd moment required. The defence has played well all season, now we aren't letting soft goals in though so the 1-1's are 1-0's.

Nuno is managing games tremendously, there's another couple of gears in there, I think you'll see them against Arsenal when we'll be back to 343

It kinda feels like those 3 games were our mini pre-season to get back up to pace, and we've got ourselves 9pts for playing them...now on to the important work!

The other thread is locked and Smith is delusional, but just as a point of order he didn't sign those players, he gets what he's given. They went on a Fulhamesque Easter egg hunt and are likely to get the same result.

We've not played well offensively in any of the three games so far, but have found the odd moment required. The defence has played well all season, now we aren't letting soft goals in though so the 1-1's are 1-0's.

Nuno is managing games tremendously, there's another couple of gears in there, I think you'll see them against Arsenal when we'll be back to 343

Smith is own worst enemy though Tony. Thought that he could compete playing open football and has waited too long to adopt a more cautious approach. By doing so now they carry little threat and time is running out for them.

Arsenal are the dream opponent, same as last year. They play like they are a to top team but don’t have the players to back it up. So we should have joy on the counter. Particularly as they’ve got 2 games between then and now and not much depth.

Even if we get a point Vs Arsenal the next game could be ideal. Sheffield United have looked awful since the restart and if they don't best Spurs on Thursday their season is over.

Smith is own worst enemy though Tony. Thought that he could compete playing open football and has waited too long to adopt a more cautious approach. By doing so now they carry little threat and time is running out for them.

This is the problem this approach may have got him more points especially away from home, they’re now in a must take risk scenario. 6 games to go against Liverpool, Man Utd, Palace, Everton, Arsenal and West Ham. They’re going to have to beat palace and West Ham and either draw another 3 or beat Arsenal. That only puts them upto 36 points. That may be enough because West Ham and Bournemouth are that bad.

Grealish needs to be in a side where he’s not so relied on. He plays like he has to do everything. In the long run it’ll do Villa good to build a balanced side not so reliant on him.
Agreed, but his ego won't let him NOT be the guy who is relied on, IMO.

It's cute that they think Grealish won't force a move away.

It's even more cute that they think they'll get £80m for him and that £50m would be terrible business. I don't get the love in with him myself, he'll be washed up within three years.

From the outside Grealish seems a classic big fish in a small pond (not so much the club but the talent around him)

He wants to be the centre of attention, which is great when things are going well. Not so much when it's going pear-shaped.

One way or another it'll be interesting to see how he does with better players around him.

It's even more cute that they think they'll get £80m for him and that £50m would be terrible business. I don't get the love in with him myself, he'll be washed up within three years.
I think most supporters probably overvalue their "star" players.

The comparison to AWB is nuts, though. Different positions, completely different players, Palace weren't relegated last season, AND Wan-Bissaka was massively better last season than Grealish has been this season.

The Jack Grealish motto: "Win fouls, not matches".

I think it's a number of things.

The first point is true, he did exactly the same at Brentford when he came to Molineux in the Championship winning season. You aren't going to out football better teams that often in the PL, but given his style of play you should be either sacking him in the Summer or buying players who suit his system. They did neither and signed two duds at centre forward.

I think Grealish is less of a help and more of a hindrance now. He's talented and their best player, but I don't know how you can try and set a team up tactically in a relegation battle with one player going anywhere on the pitch. I said at half time he reminds me of Autumn 2015 Afobe, Rooney under Moyes at Utd is another one. If he'd played behind the forwards or drifted wide from there he has the ability to hurt teams, picking the ball up outside your own box isn't going to do that. I doubt that's the plan, he needs putting back in his box

we let villa have the ball in their third, and a bit in the middle of the park. we effectively warmed up for the first half hour.
On around 40 mins each game, we seem to all move forward. We press, and look for a chance to go in 1-0 at half time. Although it hasn't worked, it means the ball is usually away from our goal.
We all know how we improve our performance in the 2nd half.

When they had the ball, I didn't feel villa were too bad, albeit they never looked like creating a proper goal scoring opportunity. I know I'm i a minority here, but I'd rather they stay up than bournemouth, west ham, or watford.

Jonny - what a fucking baller! I love him, and have felt he is under appreciated sometimes. Top quality today!
I cannot split motm between him and Dendocker personally. Both were superb.

noticeable how in possession we move as a team. Everyone around the ball moves forward 10 yards when we are in possession.

Last point, now we're tighter defensively, the only wa most teams are likely to score against us is an extremely quick counter. We're so good at getting back.

Yes, Dendoncker and Jonny definitely the standouts. Another lacklustre performance from Jota, which is concerning.

Nuno seems absolutely convinced we're not going to concede. Those changes reduced our probability of goals a great deal -- showed some belief that we wouldn't need any.

Yes, Dendoncker and Jonny definitely the standouts. Another lacklustre performance from Jota, which is concerning.

Nuno seems absolutely convinced we're not going to concede. Those changes reduced our probability of goals a great deal -- showed some belief that we wouldn't need any.

Don't think he was lackluster at all. Things not quite coming off for Jota at the moment but even when things don't come off in an attacking sense for him he's dogged and runs his bollocks off for the team

Don't think he was lackluster at all. Things not quite coming off for Jota at the moment but even when things don't come off in an attacking sense for him he's dogged and runs his bollocks off for the team

Agree, lacklustre is very harsh, he is working hard and trying his 'stuff' but not quite coming off. He tends to try things that are difficult and high risk, often it doesn't work but when it does, its fantastic

Maybe Jota should have scored when the keeper threw the ball out like a hand grenade, but he reacted before the villa defence had even moved.

Jota stays in the team for me, when he's on it he's unstoppable

Jota should defintely have scored when Nyland gave it to him but he went for power in the top corner instead of just curling it home. It was a bad miss but again Jota was being Jota, everywhere on the pitch making himself a nuisance and generally playing quite well overall. Now way I'd be dropping him just because he's not scoring (it would be nice if he did), if he starts to play shit then yeah by all means but he's not.

I can't stand Mings, but I'll actually give him some credit for the fact he handled Raul quite well today (especially playing most of the game on a yellow card). It hasn't been mentioned on here yet, but he forced Nuno in to a change (which funnily enough helped us in the end), but when Traore came on, Raul moved over to the left away from Mings, Traore sat on him instead - and within 5 minutes of that happening Raul had more space then he had for the rest of the match and it allowed him to play the ball in to Jonny which resulted in our goal. Mings was stuck to Raul like glue all afternoon until the substitution and I think it's only fair to say (apart from the assault on Jota for the card) he actually played well. It's quite telling, though, what kind of player he is generally - as on one occasion the ball was played down the channel to Raul & Mings was going across to challenge him from behind - you could audibly hear one of his teammates shout "stand him up, you're on a yellow!".

Grealish is their shining star, but also their biggest problem. In a side fighting relegation, you need a solid system, a style of play and you need to stick together. He roams around the pitch like the only thing that matters is him - thanks to the commentating team on BT sport by the way for pointing out his new hairtcut twice in the first 5 minutes, I'd have had no idea otherwise. Smith hasn't got a clue how to get Grealish on the ball in dangerous areas - whilst keeping his side in an organised shape. It will be one of the reasons they go down - the other being they have far too many average players. Their two centre forwards, for example, would do well to score 10 combined goals in the Championship.

On us, Johnny MOTM. Criminally underrated (same as most of our backline TBF). Superb turn at the start of the move for our goal - sent McGinn to the shops. Superb run forward, did well to bring it down and set up Donk. He did a couple of cheeky little backheels. His pressing is invaluable to the way we play - Woppio is an idiot for suggesting we took him off in the matchday thread - that lad knows nothing about football. Stick to Smule, you Marcus Brigstocke look-a-like gimp. Also love the fact that Jonny just does everything with zero fuss. If he gets fouled or thinks a decision goes against him harshly, he just shrugs it off and gets on with it - a proper professional with an excellent attitude and workrate. Speaking of workrate, Donk... what a fantastic option for us to have in the squad. I think today is the first time I heard him talk and he seemed really down to earth and likeable. Exactly what you'd expect from one of our players. Also, what a finish that was. A brilliant goal worthy of winning the match.

I agree with the comments that have said we are a very professional side - but I'm personally not convinced with the "get a goal and then keep it tight" tactic, even if it's worked against three very poor teams this week. Anything can happen in football - an own goal, a freak mistake (their keeper throwing it straight to Diogo today is a good example), a dodgy penalty, a wondergoal for the opposition etc. We fully had it in us to score more goals today (and midweek) to make things a bit more comfortable - and we still haven't properly slapped a side yet (scoreline wise). I completely trust Nuno and the lads and their game management is fantastic - but at 1-0 I'm never comfortable!

Anyway, as the song goes in the popular Twitter video doing the rounds, the Villa are going down, down, down, down, dooooown.

Cannot wait to see where our season takes us - the sky is the limit.

Back