• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best Wolves Signings Ever - other than Bully

Jamwolf

Reaction score
What are peoples' views on our best signings ever, under two categories :
- Most exciting, at least in theory
- Best, in practice

My vote would be :
Exciting - Andy Gray. Followed by Tony Daley.
Best - Andy Thomson. Followed by Matt Jarvis.

Exciting - Andy Gray or Bakary Sako...I remember the day Gray signed and I was really hopeful for a great future. When Sako signed, I'd seen the clips and thought he could be an absolute monster for us
Best - Steve Bull...Where would we of been without him? Followed by Sam Ricketts who came in at a time we were in (what appeared to be) free fall and brought experience and calm to some very young players

Most exciting signings: Derek Dougan, Andy Gray

Best signings: Derek Dougan, Dave Wagstaffe, Derek Parkin, Mike Bailey, Frank Munro, Steve Bull, Emlyn Hughes, Alex Rae, John De Wolf

Most exciting - Silas, especially after the way he played in a friendly after signing - that went well!
Best - Dean Sturridge - goals galore at very little cost

Best signing has to be Bully.
Most exciting would be Tony Daley in 94 then he proceeded to be cricked most of his career we only ever got glimpse of what he could do.

Most exciting Geoff Thomas. The real start of the SJH era and a signing of intent, who we beat established PL teams to.

Best for value probably Thommo if we are excluding Bully

In my memory lifetime, the most exciting was actually Michael Kightly, whatever you think of him now.
Likewise, the best was Lescott. I thought it'd never happen for him so was quite pleased when he did make a relative success of his career.

Most exciting: Geoff Thomas, Tony Daley Steve Froggatt for all the reasons TT has said
Best: Kightly - I've never been so enthused by a player in full flow, played like it was a different game at times. Like Froggatt sadly robbed of his best by injuries.

In my time supporting Wolves, Bully and Thommo. That day will go down as one of the most important days in the club's history.

The best signing ever would probably be a 14 year old schoolboy called Billy Wright.

Thommo for me as well. Plus signing Paul Cook was an exciting transfer.

Most exciting: Geoff Thomas, Tony Daley Steve Froggatt for all the reasons TT has said
Best: Kightly - I've never been so enthused by a player in full flow, played like it was a different game at times. Like Froggatt sadly robbed of his best by injuries.

Exactly the same for me, especially Geoff Thomas - really felt as if Wolves were going to take the league by storm.

Turner made some good signings that turned the club around. Bully being the obvious one of course. I reckon the signing of a young lad named Kenny Hibbit from Bradford PA was probably our best over the last 40 odd years.

Most exciting was either the Doog or Andy Gray.

Exactly the same for me, especially Geoff Thomas - really felt as if Wolves were going to take the league by storm.

Yep. I'm in the same camp too. That season opener against Bristol City really made me believe that was going to be our year.

If it wasn't for that bastard Lee Howey, our history may have been very different.

Most exciting signings: Derek Dougan, Andy Gray

Best signings: Derek Dougan, Dave Wagstaffe, Derek Parkin, Mike Bailey, Frank Munro, Steve Bull, Emlyn Hughes, Alex Rae, John De Wolf

Agree with this plus Peter Knowles and Kenny Hibbert

I was incredibly excited about Geoff Thomas, Froggatt, Daley etc. But I actually remember thinking Roger Johnson was exactly what we needed at the time too! Kevin Doyle was a big name signing at the time as well.

Best signing except Bully? Thommo, Andy Mutch (5 grand from Southport!), Michael Kightly, Karl Henry.

I never saw a Kenny Hibbit or a Kenny Hibbert sign for Wolves, but I did see a Kenny Hibbitt and i'd say he was a bloody good signing at that :)

I never saw a Kenny Hibbit or a Kenny Hibbert sign for Wolves, but I did see a Kenny Hibbitt and i'd say he was a bloody good signing at that :)

I'd forgotten Hibbitt. What a player, plus he stayed fit for the whole of his career.

That's what I can't work out - in the 70's and early 80's we had the spine of a team that seemed to play week in week out - Palmer, Parkin, Hibbitt, Carr. John Richards on the whole kept fit. These players served us for more than a decade.

Since then, we don't seem to have kept a fit, settled team. Are there more injuries now than there used to be, and if so why ? Especially as treatment should be better, sports science had supposedly improved fitness and players are supposedly not bruisers.

Strange.

Missing the point to stick Kightly in the 'exciting' bracket surely, I don't think anyone was particularly enthused initially about signing a bloke for £25k from a Conference club. Of course he went on to be excellent.

Exciting:

Birch (man of the match vs Inter a year or so previously)
Richards (looked every inch someone who'd get 50+ England caps while he was on loan)
De Wolf (big name, big character)
Thomas (clearly a cut above the second tier when we got him)
Froggatt (ditto)
Miller (I was living in Germany at the time but all the reports from his loan spell were that he could be the next Robbie Keane)
Fletcher (stood out in a poor team at Burnley and did the same here)

Unfortunately injury chopped a few of them down. Birch was a major disappointment. Miller turned out to be pretty good but didn't hit the heights initially expected.

Best:

Turner's 86-89 crew
Stowell
Pollet
Rae
K Henry
Kightly
Jarvis
Ebanks-Blake
S Ricketts
Dicko

Perversely the most excited I've been in recent times regarding a signing was (read on before laughing) Jamie O'Hara. At the time £5m for a midfielder we desperately needed and who had shone brightly on loan seemed to be the starting point of us moving onto the next level, it was a signing that really got my hopes up. How wrong I was.
Fletcher was also one that got the juices flowing, at least bar injury he delivered.

Before that? Probably Tony Daley, Paul Birch, Steve Froggatt and Geoff Thomas.

For the best I'd agree with Deutsch but would throw Dean Richards in as well.

Back