• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best Wolves Signings Ever - other than Bully

In terms of excitement for the transfer itself, rather than how they performed afterwards, then there's only really Fletcher, O'Hara and Johnson that have any place in the fight for me. They're the only players of my time following Wolves that I can really say I knew all that much about before they signed, well anything positive anyway, for the most part I've known relatively little about majority of signings certainly since Mick was in charge so there wasn't really opportunity to get excited in advance as I had no idea what they'd bring to the table.

Langers already beat me to it but I would say there was a lot of buzz around the signing of Roger Johnson. I think most people thought we were really making the step up to the next level with that signing and that he was exactly what we needed. Equally, he has to go down as one of the biggest disappointments in recent times because of how it panned out.

"best" signing in terms of value would have to be Kites. Picked him up for buttons and he was fantastic for us. Loved those days watching him & Jarvis on either side. SEB was more expensive but his goals fired us up so there's an argument for him as well, even if he wasn't the cheapest player.

The one I was most excited about since I joined here was Boukari, that lasted about 10 minutes. What I remember the most about Wolves are the early 70s team.

Missing the point to stick Kightly in the 'exciting' bracket surely, I don't think anyone was particularly enthused initially about signing a bloke for £25k from a Conference club. Of course he went on to be excellent.

Exciting:

Birch (man of the match vs Inter a year or so previously)
Richards (looked every inch someone who'd get 50+ England caps while he was on loan)
De Wolf (big name, big character)
Thomas (clearly a cut above the second tier when we got him)
Froggatt (ditto)
Miller (I was living in Germany at the time but all the reports from his loan spell were that he could be the next Robbie Keane)
Fletcher (stood out in a poor team at Burnley and did the same here)

Unfortunately injury chopped a few of them down. Birch was a major disappointment. Miller turned out to be pretty good but didn't hit the heights initially expected.

Best:

Turner's 86-89 crew
Stowell
Pollet
Rae
K Henry
Kightly
Jarvis
Ebanks-Blake
S Ricketts
Dicko

I wasn't paying attention when I put Kightly in - thought it was about best players (not signings) for Wolves. Oops. Hence Lescott...

Most exciting in my lifetime Andy Gray and Dave Thomas.

Best - I agree with Frank

Miller (I was living in Germany at the time but all the reports from his loan spell were that he could be the next Robbie Keane)

Eh? I don't remember that, Rangers fans were glad to see him go. I distinctly remember getting pelters in the playground from all the Huns because they thought we'd signed a dud.

He was great on loan for us though.

Mind you, so was Michael Branch.

Both were never the same again for us after games against Forest. Branch with his dodgy goal, Miller dislocated his shoulder

Ah, didn't see that he'd said after the loan spell.

That Michael Branch masterclass where he demolished Man City and the whole ground was singing "Sign Him Up". He was ridiculously good that night.

Keith Curle was a coup for us when we signed him, but personally I'd go for Micky Stowell.

I loved Micky Stowell. Total hero for us.

I agree Micky Stowell was superb!

For excitement I thought Ince and Irwin at the time were great signings, I remember thinking ex Man Utd players at Wolves, yes admittedly past their prime but good signings, Guedioura was exciting at times too.
As for best signings Mutch, Dennison, Downing & Bully!

Most exciting signing had to be Andy Gray.
Best signing for me was a pick of any number of our 1970's era - I'll plump for Mike Bailey - a great Captain of the time!

I agree Micky Stowell was superb!

For excitement I thought Ince and Irwin at the time were great signings, I remember thinking ex Man Utd players at Wolves, yes admittedly past their prime but good signings, Guedioura was exciting at times too.
As for best signings Mutch, Dennison, Downing & Bully!

Irwin was still in his prime!! just

Most exciting signing had to be Andy Gray.
Best signing for me was a pick of any number of our 1970's era - I'll plump for Mike Bailey - a great Captain of the time!

Mike was already there when I was a kid!! he was awesome.

As a kid i was excited by Andy Gray but on the day i was probaly more excited by the BMX's around him.
Robbie Keane for me...(signed...ahem from Crumlin United)
The tricks he could do with a ball at his feet used to make me wet ma pants.

As a kid i was excited by Andy Gray but on the day i was probaly more excited by the BMX's around him.
Robbie Keane for me...(signed...ahem from Crumlin United)
The tricks he could do with a ball at his feet used to make me wet ma pants.
Remember Robbie coming on as I think an 18yo in a pre-season friendly v Liverpool. Was in the what's now called the Steve Bull stand, and you could see pretty much all the BW stand would stand up whenever he got the ball.

Yeah, Gregory was in the stands that night. Got booed when he got shown on the video walls.

The tragedy is that Bully and Keano never got to form a proper partnership. They looked absolutely dynamite together at the start of 98/99.

Derek Parkin was great. Emlyn Hughes was another great catch for his short stay. Paul Jones and Mike Stowell did well. Marcus Hahnemann was a great freebie! Kenny Hibbett from Bradford pa was a stand out piece of business.

In the modern era Kightly and Jarvis are hard to beat

Back