• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton & Hove Albion (H) build up 19/9

Lycan

Proud Resident of Coventry
Reaction score
My first 3pm Saturday at Molineux this season, really looking forward to the day. Not looking forward to the football so much but they could surprise me. I'd ring the changes if I were KJ but reading into his comments after yesterday's loss it seems like he's actually quite pleased with our all round play. I'm expecting something like this:

Martinez

Doherty Batth Hause Golbourne

Coady

Henry ---------- Ojo

Edwards

Afobe ALF​

Personally, I'd go:

Martinez

Iorfa Batth EEL Hause

Price Coady

Wallace Afobe Ojo

ALF​

If Batth isn't ready then move Iorfa inside and start Doherty at right back.

Brighton look good at the moment so I'm not expecting much. I'd be delighted with a clean sheet and 90 minutes for Danny Batth

Martinez

Iorfa--Batth--EEL--Hause

Byrne--Coady--Macca--Henry

Afobe--ALF

Can we not dick around with awful formations that don't work, Ken. Please.

---------------------Martinez----------------

Iorfa--------Batth-------Hause--------Golbourne

------------Coady--------Price----------------

-----Byrne--------Wallace-------Ojo-----------

-------------------Afobe-------------------------

Subs: Ikeme, Ebanks-Landell, Saville, Henry, Edwards, Le Fondre, Enobakhare.

2014/15: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2012/13: D 3-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2005/6: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/5: D 1-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2002/3: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)

I'd be more than happy with that team as long as Afobe doesn't drop too deep and it turns out we don't have a striker.

Absobloodylutely

I'd be more than happy with that team as long as Afobe doesn't drop too deep and it turns out we don't have a striker.

I think this Afobe at 10 thing has to end for now, it's a vanity project. I'm sure he would love to play there but it isn't his best position, either for us as our squad stands or in terms of getting the best out of him, tell him to play up front. He managed it fine last season.

I think this Afobe at 10 thing has to end for now, it's a vanity project. I'm sure he would love to play there but it isn't his best position, either for us as our squad stands or in terms of getting the best out of him, tell him to play up front. He managed it fine last season.

I agree with that, he's not a number 10. For me it has always been a way of getting him and Dicko in the same team which i could understand but right now we can't afford to carry on with it.

I like the look of Johnny's team but will Batth be fit? rather wait a bit than rush him back and fuck him up for longer, don't think it matters which of Hause or Eel plays

I think it'll be pretty hard to predict what the line up will be but one thing that I do NOT want to see on Saturday is Doherty up against Lua Lua.

This exact team please. Buzzing about this one - cannot wait.

Also agree with DW's team. With Price in we always seem more solid and results definitely better.

Whatever the team, we need a victory. Confidence is clearly low at the moment, but three points will put a different perspective on things.

Yay...finally back to a Wolves game. Hoping for a decent performance and three points. Please Kenny, pick the team that DW has put up...we signed these players for a reason so PLAY THEM

I can't see him relying on three young raw attackers behind the striker, with only a handful of Championship games between them.

Also ALF has been better than Afobe in the last couple of games. More threat, desire and just as many goals in their last two starts together. Plus Afobe looked horrible on his own up front earlier in the season.

He did look awful upfront on his own and at the time i said i don't think he can play upfront on his own but maybe that was because Edwards played behind him instead of a creative number 10. The more i see of Afobe the more i don't think he can play as a number 10 at least not in this Wolves team so we have to play him as the main man up top.

I think he's looked ok as a No. 10 when the team are playing alright going forwards. When we aren't getting him any service he comes too deep and then looks a bit disinterested.

I think he's looked ok as a No. 10 when the team are playing alright going forwards. When we aren't getting him any service he comes too deep and then looks a bit disinterested.

The problem is not him coming deep though it's that he doesn't get forward quick enough once he does nor does anyone go beyond him and get into that position so we end up with a big hole.

If we're playing well he does make an effort though. It's when we're struggling he can't be arsed to bust a gut to get back in the box. Mainly because we usually mess it up or lose the ball.

Wallace looks like a player who likes to run in behind. He did that a couple of times on Saturday. He's definitely the best option behind the striker(s) long term if Jackett persists with the diamond.

I can't see him relying on three young raw attackers behind the striker, with only a handful of Championship games between them.

Also ALF has been better than Afobe in the last couple of games. More threat, desire and just as many goals in their last two starts together. Plus Afobe looked horrible on his own up front earlier in the season.

On point 1, I don't care. I don't have time for playing the likes of Edwards in the name of experience or whatever. Seriously, what's the worst that can happen by playing those three? We signed them all to play.

On point 2, let's not go back to picking players based on raw, contextless statistics or "he scored/assisted last game" or "we won last game". Just pick the best available players, the fact that we consistently aren't doing that is the main reason why we've picked up 7 points from 6 games. Picking players you know are not the best you could possibly choose in the name of fairness or "you can't drop him because X" is the road to ruin. I like Le Fondre but I don't think he fits into the best possible starting XI we can pick for this game. You can't put every single selection into a snapshot based entirely on what has happened in the last one or two weeks.

Afobe only played one game up front on his own, vs Cardiff and yes, he was poor. But so was pretty much everyone else, we created virtually nothing and as Slink says, having Edwards behind a lone striker is extremely limiting. We saw that for the entire first half of last season.

Of course there is a high probability that Kenny Jackett won't pick the team I've suggested, but that's beside the point.

I don't think it's a good idea or good management to keep constantly picking the same XI regardless of how they are playing just because on paper they are better. Especially if results are poor. You play your in form players. If your best players aren't performing then you give them a game or two out to show them they aren't undroppable.

You've been advocating dropping Ivanovic at Chelsea yet he's clearly their best RB so why not just keep picking him regardless of how he's playing?

Back