• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Brighton 7/3/2020

pacamac

Reaction score
Can't see a general match thread so thought I'd start one.

Hoping our good form can continue and we can/should be able to overcome the type of team that has been a bit of a banana skin in the past.

If we are really going to feel the benefit of such great wins as Spurs etc they need to be followed up with wins against teams like Brighton. Which still (despite some peoples thinking) requires everyone to be fully 'at it'.

Personally I'd like to see us switch back to a 532 to start the game at least. Try and control the midfield game and I think we'll control the game. I personally would be quite quick to shift back to a 3 up top (Traore on) if we're struggling to score/create by half time though.

I'd start:

Patricio
Doherty Boly Coady Saiss Vinagre
Dendonker Moutinho Neves
Jimenez Jota

Looking forward to the day too, a rare Saturday 3pm kick off that I can also make.

If Traore isn't fit, then I can see the 3-5-2 as being a good way of getting Donk playing to shadow Mooy and do a job on him.

If Traore isn't fit, then I can see the 3-5-2 as being a good way of getting Donk playing to shadow Mooy and do a job on him.

Even if he is fit that would be my plan, allows Neves and Moutinho to play more.

My team's also based on Johnny actually being fit (not seen any update)...ie I'd still play Vinagre. I know that would leave us weaker defensively but for the attacking positive it would bring I'd think it worth it against a team that aren't exactly prolific (ie if your going to take a chance defensively a team like Brighton is the type of team you would do against).

Even if he is fit that would be my plan, allows Neves and Moutinho to play more.

My team's also based on Johnny actually being fit (not seen any update)...ie I'd still play Vinagre. I know that would leave us weaker defensively but for the attacking positive it would bring I'd think it worth it against a team that aren't exactly prolific (ie if your going to take a chance defensively a team like Brighton is the type of team you would do against).

I'm not sure the difference between Jonny and Vinagre in an attacking sense is as much as it used to be, it's certainly narrowed since last season. Jonny is by far a better defender too, so i'd always pick Jonny over Vinagre if both are fit.

I'm not sure the difference between Jonny and Vinagre in an attacking sense is as much as it used to be, it's certainly narrowed since last season. Jonny is by far a better defender too, so i'd always pick Jonny over Vinagre if both are fit.

Maybe not with 3 up top I'd tend to agree, just find when we play 2 up top Vinagre tends to get up the park and fill the gaps a lot more often/quicker.

Agree re Johnny overall being a miles better defender and for 90% games he'd start for me just think against teams that offer little going forward themselves we can afford to take a chance.

Brighton are going to have to come out and play I think.

They've got us, Arsenal, Leicester, Man Utd, [Norwich] Liverpool and Man City in 6 of their next 7 games.

They simply can't treat any of the games against the top eight as a free hit if they want to stay up I think they're going to need 1-2 unexpected results to get there.

They've got us, Arsenal, Leicester, Man Utd, [Norwich] Liverpool and Man City in 6 of their next 7 games.

They simply can't treat any of the games against the top eight as a free hit if they want to stay up I think they're going to need 1-2 unexpected results to get there.

Wow, they really are in trouble

That is what is technically known as a horror run of fixtures.

Do Brighton know how to 'come out and play'. I know what you mean re their run and they're surely thinking they need to win the game but does that mean they need to come out and play I very much doubt it.

That would (no pun intended) play into our hands and I'm sure they'll know that. No they'll be trying to when obviously but I think it'll be more along the route of bogging us down in midfield, frustrating us and nicking a goal (a la last season away or home just without the nicking a goal). That's why I'd start with 3 in the middle of the park.

Brighton certainly won't rock up like they did last season. Under Potter they do actually attack and play some decent stuff. Their issue has been in the final third.

Obviusly that will end this Saturday and Mooy will play like a Messi/Pele/Ronaldo hybrid and Maupay will find his shooting boots again...

I'd start 343 but with Podence on the right. Give him some league exposure and rest Traore's shoulder. 352 for the game in Greece. I'd also give Vinagre this game and hope Jonny is fit for the EL.

Why would Podence suddenly jump ahead of Neto?

Why would Podence suddenly jump ahead of Neto?
He isn't, just that he hasn't had any real PL exposure and I think he'd benefit from it. Both can play either side but I think I'm correct in saying he prefers the right and Neto the left

He isn't, just that he hasn't had any real PL exposure and I think he'd benefit from it. Both can play either side but I think I'm correct in saying he prefers the right and Neto the left

Neto looked outstanding on the right on Sunday. Podence was very good on the left against Espanyol.

Premier League have banned pre-match handshakes! Does this mean pulling Adama's arm out of its socket is also banned??

Brighton fan here, I come in peace.

I have liked what I have seen from Wolves this season and was sceptical about your Europe juggles, but I have been surprised on how you have kept form. If we could, use you as a blueprint successfully we would be a lot higher in the league. What are the predictions tomorrow?

Any team news from this game? Not unusually there is nothing on the BBC Live Premier League News conferences page but a Guardian preview has Traore being out.

Traore fit.

Jonny & MGW out from what Nuno has said today

Sorry guys, no pre-match snogs tomorrow 'for luck'. Fool me once, LJ....

Brighton fan here, I come in peace.

I have liked what I have seen from Wolves this season and was sceptical about your Europe juggles, but I have been surprised on how you have kept form. If we could, use you as a blueprint successfully we would be a lot higher in the league. What are the predictions tomorrow?

Welcome to the Wolves Forum WeMissYouStephenWard! No point asking me for a prediction as I put us down to lose every week. The tables below suggest that we are consistent against sides in the top and bottom half of the table, whilst BHA draw almost as many games as we do. We haven't lost at home to a bottom half side yet this season.

Back