• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Charlton 0 v Wolves 2 - not a classic, but a 3 point verdict thread

Met YoungWolf (who isn't that young!) very briefly before the game started, next time hopefully over a pint or two.

Was good to meet you mate!

Thanks for the insightful reports from those that went, radio commentary is both bizarre and ill informed.

Thanks for the insightful reports from those that went, radio commentary is both bizarre and ill informed.

Twitter is much better IMO.

Cheers TT, Lycan and YWfor the reports. It sounds as if the 2nd half was much better and more like last season. I don't know what's happened to Jackett but I wish he'd go back to his less cinservative style rather than the defensive hoofball he seems intent on playing.

Twitter is much better IMO.

Cheers TT, Lycan and YWfor the reports. It sounds as if the 2nd half was much better and more like last season. I don't know what's happened to Jackett but I wish he'd go back to his less cinservative style rather than the defensive hoofball he seems intent on playing.

Hopefully when Wolves have enough points on the board to avoid relegation Kenny Jackett could remember Football is also part of the entertainment industry.
Then set about selecting players with the skill sets and vision which provide good spectacle.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/70550/charlton-v-wolves-post-match-views

Makes for interesting (depressing) reading. Most of the comments on the game are along the lines of 'Wolves were poor but we were worse', 'terrible game of football' etc which are fair enough but I hadn't realised how bad things were at Charlton. There was a big protest outside the ground after the game, you can hear some of them chanting in Graham's post match interview.

It's a bizarre club under Duchatelet. You can't get away forever with appointing absolute nobodies as manager and cramming the squad full of cheap crap.

It's a bizarre club under Duchatelet. You can't get away forever with appointing absolute nobodies as manager and cramming the squad full of cheap crap.

Quite often a club gives a job to a nobody, because they don't want to spend money, or more to the point, they don't have a lot of money to spend. If you interview a good well known manager, they will want to know how much they will have to spend and the
ambition of the club.

This guy is the nobody's nobody. Never managed above the Belgian third tier. There are uninspiring appointments and managers who come out of left field but this is beyond the pale.

This guy is the nobody's nobody. Never managed above the Belgian third tier. There are uninspiring appointments and managers who come out of left field but this is beyond the pale.

Do you think Kenny is capable of turning it around?

Quite often a club gives a job to a nobody, because they don't want to spend money, or more to the point, they don't have a lot of money to spend. If you interview a good well known manager, they will want to know how much they will have to spend and the
ambition of the club.

That's some conclusion you've come to. Don't you think anybody employed as a manager would want to know the ambition and budget of a club?

In fact anybody in any job surely wants to know the ambition of the business and the budget they may have surely?

Depends how you define turning it around. He'll probably do better from January to March than he did from October to December, and he'll probably have us finishing outside the bottom six which is where we'd drifted last week. I don't see him being the man to take the club forward in any meaningful way though. He's drifted into a default mode of over-caution, he's favourable to too many poor players. I'm not going to come back anywhere near round to Ken's side until he proves that he can get us playing reasonable football again and that we are going to actually bother attacking at home. And it's going to need a lot of instances of us doing that, not just a game or two.

He has talked about us taking confidence from wins - but there wasn't really much sign of that in the first half. We didn't take the game to Charlton. If we had we would have won this game by at least four, they were that bad. I can't really remember the last time we really went at a team from the start.

If a coach comes from an unknown background he needs results and a fair level of performance pretty quick into his reign or he becomes toast in the fans eyes who may give a little more patience to a known face. This bloke seems toast.

He has talked about us taking confidence from wins - but there wasn't really much sign of that in the first half. We didn't take the game to Charlton. If we had we would have won this game by at least four, they were that bad. I can't really remember the last time we really went at a team from the start.

We sort of had a go at Leeds and could have been 3-0 up quite easily after half an hour. However they were pretty desperate during that period, wasn't like we were playing especially great football.

That's some conclusion you've come to. Don't you think anybody employed as a manager would want to know the ambition and budget of a club?

In fact anybody in any job surely wants to know the ambition of the business and the budget they may have surely?

I think that is exactly what I have said. You would end up with a nobody, because you have no money or ambition. Anybody who goes to an interview and is good at his job and has a lot of experience, isn't hoing to go to an unambitious club, with no money to spend.

I think that is exactly what I have said. You would end up with a nobody, because you have no money or anbition. Anybody who goes to an interview and is goiod at his job and has a lot of experience, isn't hoing to go to an unambitious club, with no money to spend.

We're not even close to saying the same thing. Plenty of ambitious managers take on so called lost causes, Paul Lambert at Norwich (they'd just been gubbed 6-1 by his own Colchester team), Jimmy Floyd at Burton, Justin Edinburgh at Gillingham.

Not nobody's at all.

Anybody who went know what happened with the referee in the first half btw? I missed the last minute or so.

He ran into their striker and floored himself.

Back