• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

That Villa match had me completely in love tbh. That fucking rainbow flick he pulled off was nuts.

C’est la vie. One of those where you wonder just what state that club is in in the AU where we stayed up in 2011 or 2012.

Do remember listening to the game on radio Carlisle (or something like that) and the commentators laughing at his athletism

It’s amazing how bad players memories are (I’m sure sometimes very intentionally..)

Tbf to him in the podcast, he mostly admits (amongst plenty of bullshit) that he didn’t play well for us and that he was a knobhead.

He wasn’t bright enough to compensate for the injury issues he had. No way nowadays a PL club buys him with the back injury and surgery he’d had though.

I was so fucking excited that Summer though.

Hennessy
Foley - Johnson - Berra - Ward
Kites - Henry - JOH - Jarvis
Doyle - Fletcher

just looked so good and well balanced on paper

Hennessy
Doyle - Fletcher

Yeah I really thought we'd filled in the missing gaps from the previous season and looked forward to a comfy mid table finish!
I really know fuck all about football.

Hennessy
Doyle - Fletcher

The opposite of this season in many ways.

Yeah I really thought we'd filled in the missing gaps from the previous season and looked forward to a comfy mid table finish!
I really know fuck all about football.
Well it could and should have done.

The issue is always the non tangibles to us fans. We didn't appreciate how much impact taking the captaincy off Henry and giving it Johnson would have, Johnson's face didn't fit AND his attitude wasn't great so it lead to every established player being unsettled to some degree, especially when the results started to turn after those first 3 games.

Then also the grenade of JOH being a bit of a prick. (Which he hadn't displayed whilst on loan)

On paper it was a good side, and would have probably performed better had Mick not given RJ the captaincy.

In some, smaller ways you see it now, calls for Bueno to start over Dawson, they're fair in some respect with how it looks on paper and form.

But putting in a player that probably doesn't communicate well (due to language) over a very experienced leader type who definitely communicates well would have more of an impact than we can appreciate.

Last edited:
That first choice XI is full of glaring weaknesses.

Foley never convinced at RB in the Premier League for various reasons and the alternative was a moron who played like a drunk horse.

Johnson and Berra 100% commits you to a low block, nothing else, even if they're playing well.

Ward was a sticking plaster option three years beforehand in the Championship that we never upgraded.

Kightly wasn't even fit until after Christmas.

Doyle had fallen off a cliff for good and was by now chasing corner flags rather than being a serious footballer.

It had kept us up the season before though, and we added "quality" to it. Problem was the mentality of the quality.

We *just* stayed up and tended to look decent or awful, nothing in between.

The likes of Foley/Zubar/Ward/Henry/Hunt needed upgrading as a matter of urgency (some of them [not Zubar or Hunt] would have been ok as squad players, but they were playing all the time) and we didn't do it.

Doyle's collapse in quality is one I can't pin on the club or manager, just an unreal drop in standard in such a short period.

The vibes from staying up that day were fucking immaculate tbf. Easy to see how folks got swept up in it. Like I did!

Got to say, being there wasn't much fun...

Mancienne getting ragdolled by 55 year old Jason Roberts and 0-3 down at HT.

Back