• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

How far do you live from Molineux?

I lived in Long Stratton for 3 years when I was a kid, used to get to 1 or 2 home games a season plus the aways at Norwich/Ipswich. Hell of a journey.

Yeah, 1 or 2 is what we tend to do, seven hours driving in one day isn’t something I enjoy. I need to do a car share with people from down here - there’s loads of wolves fans around (I don’t know that many of them personally though)

Protestant.

I try to tell them what I know about it, but honestly The Troubles are barely a paragraph in the history book I had in grade school.
Yeah, not Irish then. :icon_lol:

You seem quite interested in your history iirc, that whole situation is well worth looking into.

Yeah, 1 or 2 is what we tend to do, seven hours driving in one day isn’t something I enjoy. I need to do a car share with people from down here - there’s loads of wolves fans around (I don’t know that many of them personally though)
We were the only Wolves fans around LS when I was there. Are you in Norwich 'proper' (couldn't resist) then?

A 45 minute train ride away - I really really wish there was a direct service from Stourbridge because the change at Galton Bridge is awful, especially after the game, even more so for a midweek fixture. It's a shithole of a station with literally nothing nearby so you have to wait on the platform. And its fierce Albion territory so you wouldn't want to walk about outside wearing your Wolves shirt.

The bus takes an hour and goes via Wombourne and any TWF regulars will tell you how odd people from Wombourne are...

Yeah, not Irish then. :icon_lol:

You seem quite interested in your history iirc, that whole situation is well worth looking into.
I think the whole ordeal would terrify me, given how recent it was. Of course, the irony is that America is certainly not much different what with all the gun violence. Less bombs maybe, and no unified banner for the violence, but no less scary when you step back and look at it objectively.

I've seen some of the show Derry Girls, and although it's of course a comedic take on that period, the idea of school buses going through military checkpoints is nearly inconceivable to me.

A 45 minute train ride away - I really really wish there was a direct service from Stourbridge because the change at Galton Bridge is awful, especially after the game, even more so for a midweek fixture. It's a shithole of a station with literally nothing nearby so you have to wait on the platform. And its fierce Albion territory so you wouldn't want to walk about outside wearing your Wolves shirt.

The bus takes an hour and goes via Wombourne and any TWF regulars will tell you how odd people from Wombourne are...

The bridge is nice to be fair...
Hmm Wombourne is the starting point id say, it slowly gets stranger as you hit Bridgnorth/Telford (sub areas) and then further into Shropshire it just gets into some weird inter family breeding shit.

We were the only Wolves fans around LS when I was there. Are you in Norwich 'proper' (couldn't resist) then?

Haha, all proper - there’s quite a few wolves fans about - a few years ago I was walking along in my shirt and got serenaded with “stevie bulls a tatter”, and when my lad was mascot at the Norwich game, at least half of the dads and grandads of the Norwich mascots were wolves fans.

How long ago did you leave?

I think the whole ordeal would terrify me, given how recent it was. Of course, the irony is that America is certainly not much different what with all the gun violence. Less bombs maybe, and no unified banner for the violence, but no less scary when you step back and look at it objectively.

I've seen some of the show Derry Girls, and although it's of course a comedic take on that period, the idea of school buses going through military checkpoints is nearly inconceivable to me.

It goes back a lot further than 1969, Alan... hundreds of years of the British Empire and before trying to conquor the world.
As Lycan said, have a look at the history of Ireland

It goes back a lot further than 1969, Alan... hundreds of years of the British Empire and before trying to conquor the world.
As Lycan said, have a look at the history of Ireland
Oh for sure, I'm at least aware that the history of all that antagonism goes back to, what, 1066?

Interesting. I knew of the Jacobites by name but didn't realize they were connected to the Irish.

5989.79 km

the train service is a real bear

I really really wish there was a direct service from Stourbridge

Blame Beeching for that one. Low Level to Stourbridge Junction was a thing until the mid 1960s.

I'm about 5 miles north of Molineux, and unless I'm nicely early, it's quicker to walk the last mile and a half or so than drive or catch the bus.

Interesting. I knew of the Jacobites by name but didn't realize they were connected to the Irish.

And to the Welsh. Natives of Rhosllanerchrugog near where I live are known as Jacko’s because of their association

Someone living just in Wales would be nearer than someone from Newcastle.
Right now I wish I lived in Wales... Left Wolves at 18.55 and loads of cancelled trains means I'm still 50ish mins from home!

Oh for sure, I'm at least aware that the history of all that antagonism goes back to, what, 1066?
The Norman invasion of Ireland took place in stages during the late 12th century and led to the Anglo-Normans conquering large swathes of land from the Irish. At the time, Gaelic Ireland was made up of several kingdoms, with a High King claiming lordship over the lesser kings.

Back