• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Braga - Verdict Thread

Jinky

Head Brownie
Reaction score
19th in the PL and a home defeat to open our EL journey. Not exactly the start to the season most of us wanted/expected.

Incredibly frustrating. Missed chances and the punished for a dreadful individual error

After that never really looked like scoring bar one bit of quality from Jota.

I’m afraid I’m not feeling the Cutrone love. If Wolves want someone who thumps their chest & shows a bit of passion but nothing else, I can do that - and for a lot less money. Could have had a hatrick in the first half alone if he just showed a bit of composure.

The decision to not strengthen the defence in the summer is now what a lot of us knew at the time - laughable.

Hugely disappointing start to the season and we don’t look like turning it around any time soon.

We didn't deserve that - some poor finishing at one end, and a defensive error clinically punished at the other, but these are good sides we're playing against. On another night, things fall for us and we come away with a win.

I actually thought we played well in places and that it was an entertaining game. We had them on the ropes before they scored but it wouldn't fall for us - and when it did we were lacklustre in front of goal.

We'll improve - at both ends of the pitch.

We're a bloody shadow of what we were last season.

At this rate, Nuno doesn't spend Christmas here.

Don't even trust myself to comment anything further tonight. Talk to you tomorrow.

Fuck this.

Shakey defence, misfiring attack, midfield giving the ball away in the final third time after time.

We are currently favourites to beat Besiktas but I think we will struggle if we dont figure out how to stop the rot.

We are a pale imitation of last season's team. 3 straight defeats and who would put money us winning at Palace on Sunday the way we are playing right now? We look so slow and mediocre. Sad to see.

Well, we're all going to give Bennett dog's abuse but Patrick & Donk missed great chances at 0-0 and yet again we were so deep and so slow in the build up. Beyond disappointed

Jesus, I'm disappointed but I really didn't think we were that bad. Probably best to log off for the night!

I’m afraid I’m not feeling the Cutrone love. If Wolves want someone who thumps their chest & shows a bit of passion but nothing else, I can do that - and for a lot less money. Could have had a hatrick in the first half alone if he just showed a bit of composure.

The decision to not strengthen the defence in the summer is now what a lot of us knew at the time - laughable.

Hugely disappointing start to the season and we don’t look like turning it around any time soon.

This is classic you.

You also wrote Neves off in Sep 17 after 5 games. Give the lad time, he got into good positions, he just needs to settle down and not snap shots off so quickly.

Geez it’s not that bad. Lost to Braga, Chelsea, and Everton. We had worse stretches last season without playing in the EL. You’d think we lost 5 on the bounce to relegation candidates.

Didn’t deserve to lose but it wasn’t a great performance. Decent in patches, half time came at the wrong time. After the Dendoncker chance we created very little.
We look very clunky in our build up play at times.
So many players off colour at the moment, Doherty, Bennett, Coady, Dendoncker, Neves and Jota not up to last seasons standards.

Thought it was a good game to watch, We played the better football. Cutrone should have scored the 1-on-1. Don't know why MGW was taken off, should have been Dendoncker off for Moutinho. Cutrone off for Jota.
Bennett's mistake was punished, otherwise he was ok.

Those 20M on Jordão and Neto would have been much more useful on a quality center back.

Defence was mostly good apart from the benno error. Having boly back is great and coady actually had a good game, first one for a while. Jonny had a really good game too.
Doc is not back to 100% we should have gone adama again, or brought him on at the half.
Midfield was not good, gibbs white put in some decent crosses but offers nothing without the ball, and I still feel is more flash than substance. Neves was playing center half again, donk didnt do much apart from immitate dangerous dave with his running and fire that shot straight at the keeper. Moutinho was surprisingly poor when he came on, except for the run and cross at the end
Cutrone was poor, fucked up many good chances. For supposedly our best finisher simply not good enough. Atleast force the keeper into a save. Raul did ok, jota did well when he came on. We are desperately missing jotas form from the second half of last season, where he just hustled and drove and carried the entire team at times.a

Overall I dont think its too soon to say we are in trouble, bottom of the premier and europa, we dont seem to have a gameplan and we havent kept a clean sheet since the start of the season.

Our summer window is already biting us on the arse. We needed a CB, CM and a striker that were going to come in to the first team. We got none of those. We've made the best of it on here but if any other club had made our signings we'd have said they'd had a shit window. Its a shame and we are really going to see what Nuno is made of now as we don't have the squad to make any changes.

Yeah for the first half it seemed we were playing 4 at the back with Neves as a CB. He was much too deep (fnarrrrr)

Weirdly I actually thought we looked worse as a team after the Moutinho / MGW swap!? It was unfortunate and a bit clunky by Bennett but there's still other opportunities to not concede that other players in the team didn't take. He's an easy scapegoat though. Don't think we particularly deserved to lose, but we look low on confidence and conceding was always going to damage that even further.

Thought Neves was better in the 2nd half after being anonymous in the first, but everything looks a bit off, and Dendoncker is hanging onto his place by his nails for me.

Braga are an experienced and wily team and old hands at this, and we're pretty fresh-faced in comparison. Still 5 games to go, but we really need something to kick start our season, hopefully on Sunday...

A few glimpses of last season's brilliance for the glass half full guys but, oh dear, we look like a park team at times. The defending for their goal. I'm not writing Cutrone off just yet, and his touch can be brilliant, but as a striker his honeymoon period is nearing its end. Another frustrating 90 minutes.

Biggest mystery of the night for me is how Jonathan Ross finds the time to do a TV show as well as manage them.

Back